Any suggestions for Indy in Paris?

Joosse

Eet My girlfriend and I will be going to Paris for a few days next week, so I was wondering if anybody had any Indy related tips on stuff to do when we get there.

We already have reservations at Le Lapin Agile on wednesday night and we will also be getting in touch with Indiana Jones' spiritual father (AKA we have tickets to the James Bond exhibition), but I was hoping someone here might have any further suggestions.

Cheers,

Joosse

Last edited:

Stoo

Joosse!

Wow, the Lapin Agile is a real place? I'll have to go there on my next visit!:) Some suggestions for you & your girlfriend:

Army Museum (Musée de l'Armée), 129 Rue de Grenelle, Esplanade des Invalides
A wing of the museum is dedicated to WW1 & WW2. (This is my favourite war museum...for the immense collection of Napoleonic stuff.)

Place de la Concorde
Where Indy played on the fountain in "Paris/Passion for Life". It also has the Luxor Obelisk from Egypt which can be seen in the same shot. (This is across the river from the Army Museum so you can pass by on your way there.)

Alexander III Bridge (Pont Alexandre III)
Indy & Miss Seymour walked across this bridge. (This is the next bridge west of Place de la Concorde and leads directly into the esplanade of the Army Museum.)

Disneyland Paris
For the Indiana Jones rollercoaster, Le Temple du Péril.

Sorbonne (University of Paris), 1 Rue Victor Cousin
Where Indy studied in the Bantam novels.

Guimet Museum (Musée Guimet), 6 Place d'Iéna
Where the real Mata Hari performed her first dancing shows. The museum's founder was also one of her lovers. Inside is a large collection of archaeological sculptures & art from the Far East.

Élysée Palace Hotel, 103-111 Avenue des Champs-Élysées
Where the real Mata Hari was arrested in her hotel room. (Not to be confused with the proper Élysées Palace where the French president lives!)

Cinema Museum (Cinémathèque Française), 51 Rue de Bercy
Not necessarily Indy-related but interesting, nonetheless. It has a insane costume designed by Picasso which is very similar to the one his girlfriend wore in the "Barcelona/Espionage Escapades" episode. I thought the costume was dreamed up for the TV show but, apparently, it wasn't.

Paris Catacombs, 1 Avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy
A huge, creepy underground maze filled with human skulls & bones!:eek::dead:

Bon voyage! :hat:

Joosse

Stoo, I knew I could count on you!

I have printed your list of suggestions and taken them with me.

Merci, mon ami!

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Joosse!

Wow, the Lapin Agile is a real place? I'll have to go there on my next visit!:)

Of course it is. So is Le Chat Noir, but the modern incarnation bears no resemblance to its bawdy former self. (This despite the fact that it's virtually next door to the Musee de l'Erotisme.)

Joose said:
...so I was wondering if anybody had any Indy related tips on stuff to do when we get there.

Stoo offered up quite a bit of direct Indy-related stuff, but if they had internet in the middle of the jungle, I might have offered up the following:

affiche_prolongation_juillet_2-2-927d1.jpg

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1JpQ-lUGFYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L'Espace Reine de Saba

If you can read French, then the site has a wealth of information on the Arabian Peninsula and North Africa.

Joosse

Stoo said:
Joosse!

Wow, the Lapin Agile is a real place? I'll have to go there on my next visit!:)

It is, and I can really recommend going there. The cabaret and the traditional bawdy songs are worth the trip to Paris by themselves, not to mention the great decor of the place.

We had an excellent time, though people who don't speak French might enjoy it a little less...

Stoo said:
Some suggestions for you & your girlfriend:

Army Museum (Musée de l'Armée), 129 Rue de Grenelle, Esplanade des Invalides
A wing of the museum is dedicated to WW1 & WW2. (This is my favourite war museum...for the immense collection of Napoleonic stuff.)

An amazing place indeed. Loved their collection and great to see the WW1 and WW2 treasures. But the Napoleontic collection takes the cake. I mean, they even have Napoleon himself...

Stoo said:
Place de la Concorde
Where Indy played on the fountain in "Paris/Passion for Life". It also has the Luxor Obelisk from Egypt which can be seen in the same shot. (This is across the river from the Army Museum so you can pass by on your way there.)

And we did!

Stoo said:
Sorbonne (University of Paris), 1 Rue Victor Cousin
Where Indy studied in the Bantam novels.

We stopped by there for some small photo opportunities.

Stoo said:
Guimet Museum (Musée Guimet), 6 Place d'Iéna
Where the real Mata Hari performed her first dancing shows. The museum's founder was also one of her lovers. Inside is a large collection of archaeological sculptures & art from the Far East.

Decided to visit this on our last day (after all, we only went four days). What an amazing place and what a great tip. Soo many interesting things to see. Not only the Asian art, but also the museum models, themselves being over a hundred years old!

Also thank you Saboteur.

Unfortunately by the time I read your post we were already back home.

Hope to be posting some pictures here soon, but if you want you can already see one of them on the Magnoli Clothiers Instagram page.

Clear skies,

Joosse