Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul

Dr. Gonzo

As far as I know there is no thread on the notorious Heisenberg, and with the show coming to a close, (final 8 episodes start August 11th), I figure some of us might want to discuss the exploits of one, Walter H. White.

I suppose I'll also throw out "if you don't wish to be spoiled look away"...
I'm gonna make this a SPOILER thread.

Vince Gilligan, (who used to be a writer/producer on The X-Files) has really captured lightning in a bottle by creating this show. Watching a man go from a "mister rogers" type chemistry teacher to "A1 drug lord" has been SO riveting to me.

I'm just about up to date (saw Jessie and Walt rob the train in season five) with only a few episodes till I'm completely caught up... and I have to say "holy ****ing **** man!" Wow! What an incredible series! Ranks among my very favorites.

Any Breaking Bad fiends out there? Can't get enough of that "blue sky"?

Stoo

AMAZING show but I have only seen seasons 1 & 2. Season 2 got a bit too bogged down in soap-opera drama but friends have told me that things get better again in Season 3.

My brother-in-law bought me a DVD set of season 1 & 2 as a gift because he likes the show and figured that I would, too. Boy, was he right. It's GREAT!(y)

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
AMAZING show but I have only seen seasons 1 & 2. Season 2 got a bit too bogged down in soap-opera drama but friends have told me that things get better again in Season 3.

I agree, there is a bit of a lull in season 2 (its my least favorite season).

If you dissect breaking bad like its just a really long movie, season three is like page 60 in the script. The sh!t hits the fan man. Things get set in motion that change everything...

Wait till you see this guy "Mike". Oh man. :gun:

I'm sad to see the show go, but on the same token I'm glad that they went in with a definite plan. 5 seasons is just the perfect amount before a TV show loses it punch I think. And Gilligan knew from the start they were only doing five seasons and had a clear story arc to tell in those 5 seasons.

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Heh, a friend of mine said the exact, same thing!:) I recently bought Season 3 from iTunes. Gotta watch it but the show is too addictive...

Worth mentioning is that, characters who I hated at the beginning turned around to become the ones I cared for. That's good story-telling.(y)

roundshort

This was the first TV show I have watched in years, and I am hooked. Like a series it does get a bit 'out-there" like when Walt takes downt he entire Mexican Drug cartel.... I am excited to see the end and I am glad they are ending it As Jessie would Say B*ITCH!

Dr. Gonzo

roundshort said:
Like a series it does get a bit 'out-there" like when Walt takes downt he entire Mexican Drug cartel....

I believe Gus (mr. chicken man) took out the cartel... Pollos Hermanos

ROB98374

Season 5 is now on Netflix in case anybody wants to catch up.

Last year I watched the first 3 seasons in a couple of months, and then 2 days before season 5 started, Netflix put season 4 up. I watched the entire season 4 in about a day! I had to so I would be ready for the starting of season 5!
This is one great show! I can't wait for the 2nd half of season 5 to start back up again!

Dr. Gonzo

So about last night... how about Hank layin' Walt out on the ground with one punch?

Jessie makin' it rain... *****!

Thought it was a well executed episode.

Forbidden Eye

Breaking Bad oh man...

Having read many statements saying "movies are dead, cable television is the future" over and over, I decided to finally try and catch up with the many cable shows I never got around to seeing. The first show I decided to do this with was Breaking Bad...it was one best decisions I ever made. I was hooked. The pilot alone I found myself on the edge of my seat, laughing out loud and more emotionally invested in the story and characters than 95% of movies I've seen released in the past 10 years. Even the visuals, from the cinematography, editing, camera compositions etc, often felt like a great cinematic epic than it did television.

The story, a high-school chemistry teacher who enters the meth trade, was a truly great idea that hadn't been beat to death. The acting is also phenomenal. Bryan Cranston gives maybe the most convincing "transformation" I've seen on screen, giving one of the coolest and most in-depth characters ever. Who knew the father from Malcolm in the Middle had this much acting range? The other characters are great too though, I think my favorite might be Saul Goodman. (y)

I've since caught up or at least seen a little of most every other acclaim television show out there from Mad Men to Game of Thrones to The Walking Dead(which I loathe), even catching up with older shows like The Sopranos and The Wire and I have to say Breaking Bad is truly the best out there. I think its even passed Lynch's Twin Peaks for being my favorite tv show. I caught up with Breaking Bad earlier this year, but I regret not seeing it even earlier when it first aired. I'm just thankful I've got to experience it while there's new episodes left to air.

Dr. Gonzo said:
I agree, there is a bit of a lull in season 2 (its my least favorite season).

If you dissect breaking bad like its just a really long movie, season three is like page 60 in the script. The sh!t hits the fan man. Things get set in motion that change everything...

Huh, strange, the 2nd season(along with the first) are actually my favorite. I don't recall there being "soap-opera" drama, and I love a lot of great "singular" episodes, like the one where Walt and Jesse are stranded in the RV, or when Jesse tries to get the money back from that family (which memorably with the ATM), or the introduction of Saul Goodman etc. The other seasons are good too, the ending to Season 4 in particular more thrilling than pretty much anything I've ever seen on tv, but I prefer going back to the first two seasons where there was a little less at stake and there was a more sense of "fun" to the series. I especially loved seeing Walt as a teacher and then seeing him implementing what he taught at his class in the crime world! The only flaw I have about the entire series though is that the finale of season 2 is maybe a tad unrealistic and over-the-top, then again in our post-9/11 world, maybe it isn't.

I agree about Mike though! (y) He's actually introduced at the end of Season 2 however.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Apparently, I'm Badger...which means nothing to me, because I haven't even seen one episode.

Haven't seen any either. Had no idea what it was about until I caught a few words on this thread.

Every time I read the words 'Breaking Bad' it makes me think of those posters that were around for something called Twilight: Breaking Wind.

Dr. Gonzo

Lance Quazar said:
But you recently spent 3 hours talking about Babylon 5, so it's pretty accurate.

Hahahaha!!! That was the best line of the episode.

Now that the show is on its way down the dark path of death it's nice of the writers to put in some levity, whenever possible.

Things are getting pretty Shakespearian in the ABQ

Lance Quazar

Man, what a bore.

This show continues to just spin its wheels in its final few episodes.

Hopefully something will actually HAPPEN in the final two episodes, unlike the last snoozefests.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lance Quazar said:
Man, what a bore.

This show continues to just spin its wheels in its final few episodes.

Hopefully something will actually HAPPEN in the final two episodes, unlike the last snoozefests.

Dry martinis all around, then?

It's a very impressive show, but I confess one that I won't miss, particularly. I started watching the series in spring of 2013, and while its narrative drive is considerable - the urge to want to watch more when an episode ends is inescapable - I haven't rewatched any episodes and don't really expect to in the future. I suspect that's because I find the show somewhat insular, or at least limited, likely as a result of its strong focus on a single character and its taking place within such a brief span of time.

That said, I'm very curious about how they're going to wrap things up in the remaining 2.

roundshort

IS there 1 or 2 more?

I disagree.... I think they are going full tilt and with the foreshadowing (the M60) I am excited about the end. I am glad they are killing it now and not trying to drain a few more seasons (Dexter...)