Mod The Infernal Machine

VP

Moderator Emeritus
JerryKing has been doing some incredible stuff with the game, he probably knows if it's possible.

Tennessee R

Can we get Jerry King Live? ;)
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see what options are available.

IM was the first action, adventure, and shooter game I ever played.
To me, it was great!

JerryKing

Unfortunately, while I was able to extract textures, and so I could probably describe how to change them, it would be a horrendous task, since every single texture would have to be extracted by hand, with a hex editor, then merged with a header of another texture so that it could be converted by Jedi Knight II graphics utilities, then edited, then stripped from the header, and then reinserted again by cutting and merging the file that stores the textures... and thenedited back into the one big .GOB file... and that's just for the graphics. As for the sounds, I don't even have an idea. If I did, I would have extracted the PC soundtrack years ago. :)

Now, if some programmers or experienced x0rs :) could be persuaded to take on the Machine, this would no doubt be much easier... if someone just figured out the codecs Lucasarts used, the encryption... the internal formats of the Infernal data. :)

Perhaps the folks from Xentax.com could be pestered to look into it...
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Indiana_Jones_And_The_Infernal_Machine

Or perhaps the biggest army of Jedi Knight II modders (Infernal Machine uses its expanded engine) could be persuaded:
http://www.massassi.net/

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I thought that Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast came out two years after IM. :confused:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
That wouldn't help at all, because the amount of polygons wouldn't increase and they are a lot more important.

Professor Jones

GREAT! I was just about posting a new thread to ask if someone could have been able to find something to rip IM soundtrack...

I've downloaded the utility, but it doesn't work... I mean, the executive file does not open any ripping program...

Can somebody explain me how can I do?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
JerryKing found a solution:
http://oezmen.eu/gameresources/

Now, I'm a total rookie. I tried dragging the game's GOB files into this unzipped GOBExt Application in Windows. The DOS prompt opens briefly and disappears. What do I do at this point?

Last edited:

metalinvader

Could we at least try to get this to work on XP first?:D

The only way I get to play this is through an N64 emulator.

metalinvader said:
Could we at least try to get this to work on XP first?:D

The only way I get to play this is through an N64 emulator.

You found an emulator that can run the N64 rom? Which? I've tried 3 or 4 and they all couldn't read the ROM...

...I DO own the actual cart for my N64--ordered it from Blockbuster all those years ago. They were the only source to get it back then--it never hit stores. Still, I'd like to emulate it just on principle. Just to have it... So which emulator do you use?

metalinvader

I used project 64.Works fine but I'd rather play the real deal on my pc.

*edit..I had to download a few different roms to get one that worked.

metalinvader said:
I used project 64.Works fine but I'd rather play the real deal on my pc.

*edit..I had to download a few different roms to get one that worked.

How about PMing me with a little more detailed information on WHICH rom exactly... ;)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Moedred said:
Now, I'm a total rookie. I tried dragging the game's GOB files into this unzipped GOBExt Application in Windows. The DOS prompt opens briefly and disappears. What do I do at this point?
Run the process 100% in the DOS prompt, you won't need the fancy Windows stuff.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this works: CD1, CD2 and Jones3D GOB files, click on and open with GOBext. In the ndy file, open each of the CND files with CNDext. The sound folder there will have every sound. The dialogue audio file names are shorter without any underlines. I copied all 793 into another file. Each wave file has a j, s, v, etc. to indicate who's speaking... change them all to j and the conversations will sort chronologically (though not by chapter). Drop them into a media player and enjoy the plot in about 25 minutes!

Though don't subtitles appear when the game's sound is off? I'd like to extract those files and assemble the script...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I can't post wave sound files at Livejournal without paying.
How I can share the 45 MB of game dialogue files?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Either of those works yeah. Which files exactly do you want to share? I can rip them myself and host them on my own webspace.