Raiders IMAX Poster

Does anyone here know how I could get a print of the new ROTLA IMAX poster? Double sided 27x40. Sorry, but prices on Ebay are too high. Anyone have an extra?

fenris

Actually, they're located in Thailand according to the ebay ad.

Are these official posters? Or is the artwork just lifted off from other poster images?

BOOTLEGGER!

You might get lucky,but watchout for lead paint (;) )and shoddy product.

If you wait patiently you'll find a licensed product for a fair price and you'll feel better about your purchase. Not so much that Lucas is getting your money but that you're getting a legitimate poster the first time and you're not always doubting what you have.

When the real deal comes along, (especially at the right price) you won't have to add the cost of being scammed on top of everything else.

It may take a while but the satisfaction is worth it...

Now, why on God's green ANYONE would want an "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" poster is beyond me.

The collage is fine, (starting with some quality content helps), but the naming convention down right sucks!
Sorry, it was China that send us lead toothpaste...buyer beware!

HenryJunior

But, Rocket Surgeon, it says:

"Durable vinyl, not cheap product.
Grade A vinyl, top quality, guarantee"

Now that sounds like a legitimate, high quality product to me!

Just Kidding, I wouldn't buy it either, but then again I'm not looking for one anyway.
:whip:

fenris

You could even try a google image search... After seeing the ebay post, I immediately tried a search.

"mark raats indy poster" and set the image size filter to "larger than 8mp" and you'll find an IMAX poster that's 27x40, 150dpi. A little on the low quality side as 300dpi is the most commonly used resolution for printing.

I'm guessing the ebay seller found something similar and decided to print and sell it online.

HenryJunior said:
Now that sounds like a legitimate, high quality product to me!

Buy two, I'll get you the cash...

Yea! Broken English inspire confidence!

SenseOfRightAlliance_fr.jpg

SenseOfRightAlliance.jpg

JuniorJones said:
Thailand?! New! No mention of officially licenced product. This seller is selling these products...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDFINGER-...608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a796d78a0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDIANA-JON...924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cca604a84

...welcome to the murky world of shady vendors who use Lucasfilm images like confetti and rip off unsuspecting fans.

I'm not endorsing this vendor but I will point out that (a) nowhere does it say original (as a matter of fact it's listed under 'reproductions' on ebay) and (b) obviously the product is extremely nice as they have 100% feedback with no negatives (and nice comments in the feedback). Murky is a good word since I seem to notice the double-edged sword wielded on this - no one seems to comment when prop replicas are made and sold (Headpiece, Idol, etc) -- and they've been available under license.

I personally don't mind these items as long as they are clearly sold as that - and not passed off as originals.

Just my 2c worth...

throwmetheidol said:
I'm not endorsing this vendor but I will point out that (a) nowhere does it say original (as a matter of fact it's listed under 'reproductions' on ebay) and (b) obviously the product is extremely nice as they have 100% feedback with no negatives (and nice comments in the feedback). Murky is a good word since I seem to notice the double-edged sword wielded on this - no one seems to comment when prop replicas are made and sold (Headpiece, Idol, etc) -- and they've been available under license.

I personally don't mind these items as long as they are clearly sold as that - and not passed off as originals.

Just my 2c worth...
I'm surprised you of all people aren't virulently opposed to the practice!

Personally if someone expresses their own artistic talent, sculpts their own 1:1 version of a Crystal Skull, makes a mold and pours the acrylic / epoxy whatever it is, polishes it and sells it, to me that's the least egregious of practices.

Mass production becomes the untenable aspect in this case.

I think it's far and away a scumbag move, admitted repro or not (and I'm being distastefully simple in this) to take someone else's work, say art work, and run off copies at Staples or at home and sell them.

I get you when you stipulate they're selling them under a category, (though its the slightest nuance which more likely wouldn't hold up in court much less be a reasonable disclaimer) but its like gun laws.

People who use such tech consider laws and rights to the extent that they can circumvent them.

The problem comes when its not possible to distinguish a Kenner Indiana Jones mint in mint package and a custom.

Could you tell?

Its like authenticating an autograph.

Ultimately it boils down to ability and profit.

All in all the artist home spinning a Crystal Skull is likely leaving some indentifying marks because of pride and because there hasn't been one officially produced no one can prognosticate what quirks such an item will include.

The idols are a nice example considering the variations between the grimace (birth pains) in the screen used vs Sideshow models...

Nothing like a cool custom, but copying someone else's art work (birth pains) and profiting from it isn't what I'd call defensible especially when (in Sterankos own words) they wish they had the rights to their own work!

Rivers said:
I have gone ahead and ordered one.... I will let everyone know how it is when I recieve it.
You'll probably be satisfied with it...more or less.

Last edited:

indyclone25

Rivers said:
I have gone ahead and ordered one.... I will let everyone know how it is when I recieve it.
i ordered one too, i will have to wait and see what it looks like when i get mine , but there is a return policy so if you are not happy you can return it within 14 daysbut you have to pay shipping for the return?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:

Just my 2c worth...

I find your position of condoning this type of behaviour quite distasteful as it is clear that these are illegal copies and unless you have a vested interest in perpetuating a notion that this is an acceptable practice your comments are weak.

There is no “Double Edged Sword” . Lucasfilm hold all intellectual rights to Indiana Jones either artistic or industrial so anyone acting outside of this is acting illegally.

I don’t differ my opinion in regards to replicas. They are illegal. Lucasfilm has taken action on behalf of their legitimate licensees and I understand certain vendors on this board recieved letters back 2008. So, I guess Lucasfilm would agree with me.

Bootlegging damages Lucasfilm along with the merchandising industry that funds Lucasfilm. It damages the brand. Lucasfilm gets no money from their creative effects and potentially effect profits that could mean jobs. (Perhaps one of the many Lucasfilm insiders). It damages licensees especially smaller business where margins are built on smaller profits. There is a more serious side to bootlegging but I guess I don't need to spell them out.

What your advocating is a serious kick in the teeth to Lucasfilm and all those business that have helped you build your collection. As you are constantly pushing yourself as an authority on merchandising I imagine that some people take great store in what you say and you but what your doing is giving them a green light to encourage illegal activities.

Why would you do this? Is there something your not saying.

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
I find your position of condoning this type of behaviour quite distasteful as it is clear that these are illegal copies and unless you have a vested interest in perpetuating a notion that this is an acceptable practice your comments are weak.

There is no “Double Edged Sword” . Lucasfilm hold all intellectual rights to Indiana Jones either artistic or industrial so anyone acting outside of this is acting illegally.

I don’t differ my opinion in regards to replicas. They are illegal. Lucasfilm has taken action on behalf of their legitimate licensees and I understand certain vendors on this board recieved letters back 2008. So, I guess Lucasfilm would agree with me.

Bootlegging damages Lucasfilm along with the merchandising industry that funds Lucasfilm. It damages the brand. Lucasfilm gets no money from their creative effects and potentially effect profits that could mean jobs. (Perhaps one of the many Lucasfilm insiders). It damages licensees especially smaller business where margins are built on smaller profits. There is a more serious side to bootlegging but I guess I don't need to spell them out.

What your advocating is a serious kick in the teeth to Lucasfilm and all those business that have helped you build your collection. As you are constantly pushing yourself as an authority on merchandising I imagine that some people take great store in what you say and you but what your doing is giving them a green light to encourage illegal activities.

Why would you do this? Is there something your not saying.

I'm more interested in why you seem to have an opinion on this and yet clutter the boards with your illegal scans from publications. Or is that ok? Because last I checked it is copywritten material you are posting. Just because it is hard to find or out-of-print doesn't make it right. And it sends the wrong message to others that it's ok to post scans and PDF's of this material.

And since you are so high up on your mighty throne - perhaps you should contact figure customisers and tell them to stop what they are doing. And all the prop relica folks that gather at RPF and COW.

As I stated - I don't condemn or condone. But I do take a stand at items that are misrepresented. If it's unofficial then state so. If a reproduction, ditto.

And to add to your list - the new Imax poster is not legally for sale - period. It is theatre managers seeing a market and taking them from their workplace and profiting from this. Paramount/LFL make NO money from this. Movie posters are created for in-house advertising. None of the film companies create them to be resold (I used to be a Branch Manager at Technicolor so I know a thing or two about this subject). Over 90% of movie posters sold are taken from theatres or studio warehouses and sold without the studios permission or knowledge. We spent many years (to no avail) trying to figure out how to curb this. A solution has finally presented itself in that theatre lobbies will be slowly switched to digital poster frames over the next 3-5 years. Goodbye posters, hello JPEG's.

While I'm sure you will continue your rant I will point out that genre films/TV have had bootleggers since the inception of merchandise. It certainly never hurt Star Trek (in fact it helped keep it alive). I do agree with you that if someone is doing a large enough volume they really should be purchasing a license to do things the right way - but I sincerely don't believe some guy selling 20-30 vinyl posters is doing much in the way of damage. And I'm sure Paramount/LFL will be having them shut down on eBay soon enough (and serving them with a cease-and desist).

And to help you with your crusade -

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=indiana+jones+poster&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

At quick glance over half of these listed are bootlegs.

And if you're looking for actual scumbags/crooks - how about help put a stop to fake autographs. According to the last numbers I heard from an LFL autograph licensee, over 80% offered on eBay are fake. These are sellers taking folks hard earned money and selling them fakes (passed of as 100% genuine). In my eyes these are the folks that should be rounded up.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:
I'm more interested in why you seem to have an opinion on this and yet clutter the boards with your illegal scans from publications. Or is that ok? Because last I checked it is copywritten material you are posting. Just because it is hard to find or out-of-print doesn't make it right. And it sends the wrong message to others that it's ok to post scans and PDF's of this material.

Nice comeback! However, I feel you need to have an understanding of "fair use" laws in regards to images and I always amended my actions when in doubt. I have never sought to profit from those images I have shared in any form. I hope you can say the same.

tmtl said:
And since you are so high up on your mighty throne - perhaps you should contact figure customisers and tell them to stop what they are doing. And all the prop relica folks that gather at RPF and COW.

I don't need to. They understand their relationship to law. So, yes I will sit on my mighty throne.

tmtl said:
As I stated - I don't condemn or condone. But I do take a stand at items that are misrepresented. If it's unofficial then state so. If a reproduction, ditto.

I see... It's okay to say it's fake?

tmtl said:
And to add to your list - the new Imax poster is not legally for sale - period. It is theatre managers seeing a market and taking them from their workplace and profiting from this. Paramount/LFL make NO money from this. Movie posters are created for in-house advertising. None of the film companies create them to be resold (I used to be a Branch Manager at Technicolor so I know a thing or two about this subject). Over 90% of movie posters sold are taken from theatres or studio warehouses and sold without the studios permission or knowledge. We spent many years (to no avail) trying to figure out how to curb this. A solution has finally presented itself in that theatre lobbies will be slowly switched to digital poster frames over the next 3-5 years. Goodbye posters, hello JPEG's.

Okay, slightly different not sure how it relates to unscruplious vendors but it is an issue of law and the passing of stolen goods. One for the bad-man books but I imagine most buyers bought them in good faith for cinema tgat were allowed to dispose of them as they wish.

tmtl said:
While I'm sure you will continue your rant I will point out that genre films/TV have had bootleggers since the inception of merchandise. It certainly never hurt Star Trek (in fact it helped keep it alive). I do agree with you that if someone is doing a large enough volume they really should be purchasing a license to do things the right way - but I sincerely don't believe some guy selling 20-30 vinyl posters is doing much in the way of damage. And I'm sure Paramount/LFL will be having them shut down on eBay soon enough (and serving them with a cease-and desist).

It's a lame arguement but I guess your accepting the fact that in someway it is wrong and not matter how you try to justify it bootleg has an effect no matter how small.

Anyway, would you sell bootleg images if it was made clear they were fakes, sorry, reproductions?

Rocket Surgeon said:
So save your money...

Walked in early and none of the posters were being distributed, talked to a gentleman with two daughters, mentioned it to him and he got up to ask.

He was told "No posters"

I decided to ask myself and approached a suit with an ear piece talking to ticket takers. I was told the same, but mentioned IMAX advertised 500 per theater. He turned to a young lady who, adamantly assured me and the other employees there were no posters so I thanked them and went back to the theater.

Roughly five minutes later a couple of employes came in with armfulls and handed them out.

Besides the crappy naming convention, they're pretty nice, but not 27X40.

Crack that whip

Yeah; it turns out they're these smaller posters AMC routinely puts out for various movies. At my local theater they're always on a table near the customer service area, free for anyone to take. The wording of the Indiana Jones Facebook presence's post suggested to me that someone would hand them out to people entering the theater, but at mine they're just sitting out there, and one person can easily take multiples; they won't be going to 500 different people (the staff at my theater even encouraged me to take as many as I liked, so I took a couple, and will probably get more tomorrow).

That said, I do hope to get one or more of the actual 27x40 one-sheets there. They actually have at least two different posters up - one with that swanky new Raiders art for the IMAX screenings, and another touting that "the legend returns in two big ways," for both the IMAX Raiders and the marathon (essentially a poster equivalent of the event page, complete with that same Blu-ray art) - plus a standee for the marathon. There's also a HUGE version of the Raiders poster, backlit in a standing translite display.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JJ said:
Originally Posted by tmtl

Okay, slightly different not sure how it relates to unscruplious vendors but it is an issue of law and the passing of stolen goods. One for the bad-man books but I imagine most buyers bought them in good faith for cinema tgat were allowed to dispose of them as they wish.

Just to note as I forgot mentioned - This activity would be covered by "the first sale dotrine" unless the copyright holder can suggest otherwise so I wouldn't necessarily need to sit on my high throne for this.

However, it'a a bit different from knocking off copies out of your back shed. Woundn't it?

Last edited: