Blade Runner 2049

deckard24

Just when you thought the remake game couldn't get any worse, it does!
http://chud.com/articles/articles/16569/1/ABOUT-THAT-BLADE-RUNNER-2-IDEA/Page1.html
This is apparently just a rumor, but it's the second time this month I've seen it pop up! It should be taken with a grain of salt I guess, but with so many other sequels, remakes, and reboots to 80's films being made or hitting the theaters soon, you never know? Personally I think it's a horrible idea, but I'm curious as to what everyone else here thinks!

The Man

If Shia LaBeouf is cast as Deckard I will develop a nuclear weapon. Hollywood is one sick city right now...

deckard24

The Man said:
If Shia LaBeouf is cast as Deckard I will develop a nuclear weapon. Hollywood is one sick city right now...
Oh God, I hadn't even thought of that!:sick:
If it does indeed happen, they better get an actor with some serious chops and gravitas, not the second coming of Tom Hanks!

Forbidden Eye

deckard24 said:
Oh God, I hadn't even thought of that!:sick:
If it does indeed happen, they better get an actor with some serious chops and gravitas, not the second coming of Tom Hanks!

Second coming of Tom Hanks is a bad thing? :confused:

That's all I really have to say as sadly, I've yet to see Blade Runner. Been meaning to for a while.

Indy's brother

I've yet to see Blade Runner. Been meaning to for a while.

You owe it to yourself to check it out. I don't prefer it to Raiders or anything, but it's some of Ford's better work. It's been said of this film that as old as it is, it still looks like the future, not just a future inspired by the time it was made in, if that makes sense. To be more clear, it doesn't look like a 1982 version of the future, even though it should. See it before a sequel is made.

deckard24

Forbidden Eye said:
Second coming of Tom Hanks is a bad thing? :confused:

That's all I really have to say as sadly, I've yet to see Blade Runner. Been meaning to for a while.
In my opinion Hanks is overrated! I liked him in Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away, but overall I'm just not crazy about the guy! Not to mention an actor with some serious grit would be needed for such a role, and LaBeouf just doesn't cut it. When I think of gritty modern actors I think of Clive Owen, Daniel Craig, Viggo Mortensen, but not Tom Hanks!

To be honest the Hanks comparison has been made by others and I just repeated it, in my opinion LaBeouf is more the second coming of John Cusack!

You really haven't seen Blade Runner yet? You do owe it to yourself to see one of Ford's best roles!

Indy_Chic

deckard24 said:
This is apparently just a rumor, but it's the second time this month I've seen it pop up! It should be taken with a grain of salt I guess, but with so many other sequels, remakes, and reboots to 80's films being made or hitting the theaters soon, you never know? Personally I think it's a horrible idea, but I'm curious as to what everyone else here thinks!

I also think remaking Bladerunner is a horrible idea. How dare Hollywood even think about it!:mad:

The film is great the way it is.(y)

Agent Z

Well, I never thought they would have the audacity to remake Halloween, and we all know how that turned out....:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, there are a ton of great stories that will never get a chance, because studios just want to stick with tried and true sequels and remakes.

It's all about using the branding of popular titles.

So, so sick of it.....(n)

emtiem

I don't neccessarily hate the idea of a follow-up (as long as it's not called Blade Runner 2), but I'm not convinced that the themes he picked out there need any more exploring: the film did that already. Do I need to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or whatever it was? No: that was the whole point of that speech- that those images are lost forever like tears in... oh you know.

It'll never live up to the first and there will be so much resistance against it, so why bother?

Dr. Wolfwood

emtiem said:
I don't neccessarily hate the idea of a follow-up (as long as it's not called Blade Runner 2), but I'm not convinced that the themes he picked out there need any more exploring: the film did that already. Do I need to see attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion or whatever it was? No: that was the whole point of that speech- that those images are lost forever like tears in... oh you know.

Well said! (y)

If they made a movie with same visual style and atmosphere and strong story as the original Blade Runner, I'd have nothing against it. I'm just afraid that it might turn out to be another washed out action clip without any characterization like so many sequels that we see nowadays...

Deckard

Dr. Wolfwood said:
Well said! (y)

If they made a movie with same visual style and atmosphere and strong story as the original Blade Runner, I'd have nothing against it. I'm just afraid that it might turn out to be another washed out action clip without any characterization like so many sequels that we see nowadays...

Except this will never ever happen. They'll nvr get the same feel, even with Ridley, he's moved on to new things, new styles.

Theyre are other stories to tell in the Blade Runner Universe, but that doesn't mean they need to be told in movie form.

Blade Runner 2? No thanks.

What is safe? What classic can I still like w/o fear of it being ruined by his new, and completely retarded, idealess, brainless generation?

Goonie

Two possible titles:

Blade Runner 2: The Electric Boogaloo

or

Blade Runner 2: Do Android Scotsmen Dream of Electric Sheep?

:rolleyes:

deckard24 said:
Just when you thought the remake game couldn't get any worse, it does!
http://chud.com/articles/articles/16569/1/ABOUT-THAT-BLADE-RUNNER-2-IDEA/Page1.html

I haven't seen Blade Runner so it doesn't bother me. ;)

deckard24

IndyJess said:
I haven't seen Blade Runner so it doesn't bother me. ;)
What's up with all the board members here who haven't seen Blade Runner? Rick Deckard is by far one of Ford's best roles, along with Det. John Book in Witness, and Dr. Richard Kimble in The Fugitive! In a way I kind of envy you, because you get to experience it for the first time! If and when you do see it, make sure it's on a great screen and as close to HD as you can get, because the new remastered DVD looks amazing! Even better would be to see it in the theater, as it's been popping up in smaller art house theaters a lot as of late.

AndyLGR

I saw it on TV back in the mid -80s when I was about 12 and I thought it was a **** film, purely because I was expecting a Han Solo character and lots of action.

Now I'm older I appreciate what a good film it is and on the recent dvd extras its interesting to hear how the people involved with the production mentioned the trailer featured most of the action scenes from the film, thus misleading many filmgoers in to thinking it was a more action orientated thriller. Apparently that plan backfired and the word of the mouth on the film ended up not being good and it flopped.

The idea of sequel is terrible. Its one of those films that should be left alone. Its now regarded a film noir sci fi movie with Ford giving one of the performances of his career.

Dr. Wolfwood

AndyLGR said:
I saw it on TV back in the mid -80s when I was about 12 and I thought it was a **** film, purely because I was expecting a Han Solo character and lots of action.

I think I was about the same age, but I fell in love with the movie at first look. Mind you, I also loved Space Odyssey 2001 at the time, so I wasn't (and still aren't) looking merely for action in my movies...

AndyLGR

Dr. Wolfwood said:
I think I was about the same age, but I fell in love with the movie at first look. Mind you, I also loved Space Odyssey 2001 at the time, so I wasn't (and still aren't) looking merely for action in my movies...
I think back then I just wanted to see a Harrison Ford playing a Han Solo / Indiana Jones character for the rest of his career.

Forbidden Eye

Well after a long-time curiosity and encouragements from film fans to members of the board, I Netflixed and finally saw Blade Runner. And.......wow!

In all honesty, I have no idea what to think of it. While I agree the visuals are terrific and hold up very well in modern times(even though we'll obviously be no where near that advanced in just 11 years from now) and as always Ford delivered a great performance(I especially loved his faux voice when detecting the snake replicant... LOL) but the tempo of movie just speeds so quick and there are so many moments you have no idea what's going on it feels like you have to pause it a few times just to think about what you just saw and what is actually happening. I was very confused after it with lots of questions. I got to let it all sink in, but it's certainly not one of my favorite films. And it certainly isn't as good Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark(not to compare 3 different films that just share a main big star, but still).

Trying not to steer too off-topic, I will say as someone who rarely completely disregards the idea of a sequel and never considers any work too "sacred" for a sequel, I do think a Blade Runner 2 is one of the weakest ideas to have been made. The story feels like a very singular story and any attempt to elaborate it after the ending would be unnecessary. Besides, aren't there enough versions of the original itself?

Speaking of which, I'm confused at what I do now: watch the director's cut, or watch the original again just to try and better understand this cUH-RaZ-Ee
movie.