Der Weg nach Timbuktu

Icybro

I recently won an auction for Indiana Jones: Der Weg nach Timbuktu, the German boardgame that's been mentioned here a few times. It arrived last week, and I spent a few hours translating the instruction booklet so I could play it with my family. It's pretty simple, but it's not a bad game. (I won, naturally.)

Anyway, I thought I would share my translation for anybody who wants to try it out for themselves:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bi8na5r6bookkn4

There are images of the board and cards here. (They're not terribly high-res, but they'll get the job done.)

Also: That Chachapoyan idol on the box cover? Turns out, that's the Golden Pharaoh Mask. Proof that the Egyptians colonized South America (at least in Indy's world)? ;)

Stoo

Hi, Icybro!:hat: Thanks for taking the time to translate the instructions.

Remember DIrishB? He had an extra game and sent it to me as I gift but I've never played it. Even though my girlfriend speaks German, my game is kept hidden away and wouldn't even think of asking her to play it otherwise she'd think I'm an idiot.:eek: It's very kiddie-ish.

It's unique enough to hang onto (and I like the cover art) but have been considering giving mine away. Just have to find the right home for it...

Icybro

Hey Stoo! I was a bit disappointed by the game, mostly because it makes for an awfully threadbare original Indy story. I was hoping for some elaboration on the description from the back of the box, but that's literally all there is. (Somehow, DIrishB determined it takes place in November 1934 . . . I have no clue where that date came from.)

As a game, it really isn't too bad; it's simple, but there is some strategy involved. I'd say it's closer to Monopoly than Candyland.

Stoo

Knowing DIrish, he most likely invented the 1934 date in order to place the story in a year which wasn't too cluttered by other Indy tales. That'd be my guess. (The funny thing is that I didn't even ask him for the game, he just generously sent it to me! What a guy. Too bad he sold all his stuff & dropped off The Raven.:()

Since you say there's some strategy involved, I suppose it's not really possible for 1 single person to play the game competing against himself? None of my friends will want to play it but now that you've translated the instructions, maybe I'll give it whirl at least once when I get back home in December before giving it away. (If I don't give it away, it's going to end up in storage with my old "Star Wars" board game and I'd much rather give it away instead of $elling it.)

Before the advent of home video games (Pong, Atari, etc.), board games were all the rage in the '70s but I've never even heard of Candyland. Sounds like a girlie-game!:p
Icybro said:
Also: That Chachapoyan idol on the box cover? Turns out, that's the Golden Pharaoh Mask. Proof that the Egyptians colonized South America (at least in Indy's world)?;)
I'm wondering what Timbuktu has to do with Egypt and South America?:confused:

Stoo

Stoo said:
I'm wondering what Timbuktu has to do with Egypt and South America?:confused:
Forget the question, Icybro. Your translation already answered it.:eek:

@Lao_Che (Leland Chee): Are you reading this? Do you have the game?:confused:

DoomTown

Just found one of these for a good price. Had never heard of it before! It sure helps that my wife and I speak German; the game looks fun!

Now to find an original "Raiders" and "Temple Of Doom" board game...:)

JackBurton

The game is pretty good and can get really strategical towards the end. Much better than the ToD Boardgame.

Stoo

DoomTown said:
Just found one of these for a good price. Had never heard of it before! It sure helps that my wife and I speak German;
WUNDERBAR! (Wonderful!):D

Cadbury_Wunderbar.jpg

DoomTown

Stoo said:
WUNDERBAR! (Wonderful!):D

Cadbury_Wunderbar.jpg

:D

Stoo, let's get a game night going! You bring the Wunderbars, and I'll provide the Indy entertainment...

The Indy DVD Adventure game on our projector!!! :hat:

DoomTown

Stoo said:
It's unique enough to hang onto (and I like the cover art) but have been considering giving mine away. Just have to find the right home for it...

That's very nice of you, Stoo! Still willing to give it a good home? I would take it (even though I just purchased one...), and know someone else who would be very happy with it in the States!!! I would bring it with me on my next visit...Let me know!!! :)

Stoo

DoomTown said:
Stoo, let's get a game night going! You bring the Wunderbars, and I'll provide the Indy entertainment...

The Indy DVD Adventure game on our projector!!! :hat:
Heh. Sounds tempting, Keith!:) As for donating my Der Weg nach Timbuktu, unfortunately, it's back in Montreal so I'm not able to pass it off to you right now.:(

DoomTown

Stoo said:
Heh. Sounds tempting, Keith!:) As for donating my Der Weg nach Timbuktu, unfortunately, it's back in Montreal so I'm not able to pass it off to you right now.:(

Well, if you happen to be in my neck of the woods, be sure to let me know, and please keep me in mind if you still want to donate your game once your back in Montreal! Thanks!!!:hat:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Der Weg nach Timbuktu - Lite

Imagetg1.jpg

Image1h54.jpg

Image1h2.jpg

This game is unlikely to be released so I've been developing a Lite verison of the game to be made available as a "Build your own" A4 version document for the digital thread. This will be completed once I figured out the best materials that reflected the original game.

Above is a very rough mock up of the completed game :D