Why did George Lucas name his dog Indiana?

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
He has been the inspiration for the name of Dr. Jones character..

He inspired Han Solo's first mate Wookiee...

He made many of Indyfans name their own dogs after him...

but why did a guy from Modesto, California name his Alaskan Malamute after a Mid-West State? I was always curious... does anyone have the real answer?

JCC1004

He thought Hmmm what if I make a moive about a guy named after his childhood dog... What would be a good name?? Alaba.. no Indiana.. yes that sounds nice. Your name is Indiana now dog! Go outside.

The Drifter

If I had came up with the character of Doctor Jones and named him after my favorite dog growing up. His name would be Blue Daisy Jones!

Team Indy

I can see it all now, Lonesome_Drifter.

Blue Daisy Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Temple of Doom!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Last Crusade!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

And then, in Last Crusade, when Sallah asks, "What is this name, Junior?"

Henry Senior would reply, "That's his name. Henry Jones Junior."

"No, Dad, Blue Daisy's my name."

"We named the dog 'Blue Daisy'!"

Hilarity would ensue.

The Drifter

Team Indy said:
I can see it all now, Lonesome_Drifter.

Blue Daisy Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Temple of Doom!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Last Crusade!
Blue Daisy Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

And then, in Last Crusade, when Sallah asks, "What is this name, Junior?"

Henry Senior would reply, "That's his name. Henry Jones Junior."

"No, Dad, Blue Daisy's my name."

"We named the dog 'Blue Daisy'!"

Hilarity would ensue.

That made me laugh. But, all this makes me miss my old dog. :(

DocWhiskey

Lonsome_Drifter said:
If I had came up with the character of Doctor Jones and named him after my favorite dog growing up. His name would be Blue Daisy Jones!

Better then Mr. McTitty Rumpskins Jones.

According to an interview George Lucas gave to Denise Worrell in 1989 Indiana was Marcia Griffin's dog......George never named his dog Indiana, Marcia named her dog Indiana.

Goodeknight

Here's a bit from the Secret History of Star Wars (and the long page titled "In Tribute to Marcia Lucas") :

One interesting bit of trivia relating to her and Lucas' cinema is that Indiana, the Alaskan malamute that gave Indiana Jones his name and also gave Lucas the inspiration for Chewbacca, was in fact Marcia's dog, not George's. [lix] On the subject of Indiana Jones, Dale Pollock provides an anecdote which demonstrates how Marcia's presence in her husband's life influenced his films in subtle but significant ways--in this case, changing the ending for Raiders of the Lost Ark:

"[Marcia] was instrumental in changing the ending of Raiders, in which Indiana delivers the ark to Washington. Marion is nowhere to be seen, presumably stranded on an island with a submarine and a lot of melted Nazis. Marcia watched the rough cut in silence and then levelled the boom. She said there was no emotional resolution to the ending, because the girl disappears. 'Everyone was feeling really good until she said that,' Dunham recalls. 'It was one of those, "Oh no we lost sight of that." ' Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building. Marcia, once again, had come to the rescue." [lx]

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

The Dark Side of George Lucas by Denise Worrell

A fixture in the house is Marcia's thirteen-year-old Alaskan Malamute, Indiana, the inspiration for the name of Raiders' main character and also for Chewbacca's personality.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Dark Side of George Lucas by Denise Worrell

Without knowing the context of this quote (1983), she makes it sound as though part of Lucas' dark side was having Indiana stuffed and put on display in the house.