The Raven

The Raven (http://raven.theraider.net/index.php)
-   General Indiana Jones Discussion (http://raven.theraider.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari Artwork (http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18478)

Mephisto 04-26-2009 07:44 PM

Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari Artwork
 
Anyone know who the artist is that did the video game box art for this? It looks like there is a signature in the art but I can't make it out.

Rocket Surgeon 04-28-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephisto
Anyone know who the artist is that did the video game box art for this? It looks like there is a signature in the art but I can't make it out.


I've been looking through that stuff recently! I love the style and the likeness!
I have a one sheet that was either an insert or advertisement which has another image in the same style.. I'll post them later, in the meantime I'll see if I can make out a signature...:hat:

Mephisto 04-28-2009 06:17 PM

It almost looks like S. Kelly but I just can't tell and can't get a hit in google with it.

Rocket Surgeon 04-30-2009 03:51 PM

J Kelly, but I can't find anything else on him...


Mephisto 04-30-2009 06:52 PM

Thank you Rocket Surgeon. I believe it may be this man. http://www.orangecountyfineart.com/kelly.htm

arkfinder 05-01-2009 04:30 AM

I had that game.

Rocket Surgeon 05-04-2009 02:30 PM

The Artwork was the best thing about that game...on the box that is!

Moedred 07-19-2017 12:09 PM

The "Art of Atari" book gives Raiders four pages.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1524101036

Hartmurmur 10-15-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moedred
The "Art of Atari" book gives Raiders four pages.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1524101036


I have that book. It's so good I wish I'd almost grew up in the early 80's!

indytim 10-27-2017 11:11 PM

I found it odd that Indy is wearing his traditional outfit (hat, jacket, etc) when stood behind the Staff of Ra. I guess this is because it reflects the events of the game rather than the film!? That said, is that supposed to be Indy sat down dressed as an Arab?! What brief was this artist exactly given!? If that Arabian character is supposed to be Indy then he appears on the cover 11 times! Seems excessive and why do no other characters get a look-in!

That said, I played the game to completion when it was first released but not before repeatedly screaming at the TV trying to do the parachute bit! Outrageously unforgiving!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
J Kelly, but I can't find anything else on him...



indytim 04-14-2018 04:12 PM

Hi-Res scans of the Raiders video game pages from The Art of Atari book
 
Here are some very high-resolution scans of the Raiders of the Lost Ark pages from the excellent book 'The Art of Atari' by Tim Lapetino https://www.amazon.com/Art-Atari-Tim...dp/1524101036/. I apologise in advance for their size but by doing so it allows you a (very) close look at the artwork. The book offers a wonderful journey through the early years of home video gaming and I can highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in such things :hat:

https://i.imgur.com/1k9NfzD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sYKPp5X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rk10qyL.jpg

Moedred 04-15-2018 06:36 AM

Thanks indytim! I suspected these scans were out there. I apologize too for making the images links, because Imgur tends to get in its own way. On mobile I had to “request desktop site” then “view image” to get the full resolution. Will try also on desktop.

Mephisto 05-20-2018 11:32 AM

I tracked down the artwork back in 2011. Although the owner originally offered to send a picture I never actually saw the art as is and made offers without seeing the art. An art gallery in California currently has the piece and unfortunately the artwork has extensive damage.
The artwork has signifanct sun fading with a lot of the colors wipped clean by the wrath of god.
The blues are all but gone.


Mephisto 05-20-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephisto
I tracked down the artwork back in 2011. Although the owner originally offered to send a picture I never actually saw the art as is and made offers without seeing the art. An art gallery in California currently has the piece and unfortunately the artwork has extensive damage.
The artwork has signifanct sun fading with a lot of the colors wipped clean by the wrath of god.
The blues are all but gone.



As you can see, quite the difference as to what is now and what it once was.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.