Chronicles of Narnia

Katarn07

Am I the only person that loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? I don't think it was "awful," or "just alright," or "good for a kids' movie." I think it was amazing. Granted I read all 7 books as a kid (some more than others) so knew not to expect another LotR like some might have. I'm glad that 3/4 of the actors for the kids didn't turn my stomach and I love all the creatures shown.

So who else is pumped for Prince Caspian? I remember not liking the book as much as the first one or Magician's Nephew (my personal favorite of the series), but it should still be exciting to see.

UltimateManGod

I enjoyed the first one. I thought it was quite good. I read the books too, and didn't expect any LOTR either. I'm certainly looking forward to Prince Caspian. It's one of the reasons I think May will be a good movie month. The others are Iron Man and ,of course, Indy. My favorite book was always Dawn Treader. For me, the Narnia series is giving me my fantasy fill until The Hobbit and it's bridging movie. I'll take these over Harry Potter, even though I've enjoyed Harry Potter too.

ReggieSnake

Being a fan of the books as well, I am excited for Prince Caspian. I did like the first one; I thought they did a good job with the casting among other things. I do have one gripe with it though: Aslan. I thought they brought him down from the god-like character that he was meant to be in the books. He seemed more like a traveling salesman in the movie.:p That being said, I did enjoy the movie; I wasn't expecting LotR, especially with the bloodless PG rating and I think I enjoyed it more with out such heightened expectations.

Overall I like LotR as a story more than Narnia. Magician's Nephew is a neat one in the series because it gives you insight on how the world was created and how it interacts with our own. My philosophy teacher likes to point out that (philosophically speaking) there is no reason that that such a world could not exist. An interesting concept without a doubt.

|ZiR|

I didn't like it, and I adored the Chronicles of Narnia as a child. It just didn't feel like my Narnia.

Really though, I'm just waiting for the adaptation of The Silver Chair, because as we all know, that is the absolute BEST one. Puddleglum was so brave when he stomped the witch's fire out with his bare foot.

UltimateManGod

In semi-related news, Guillermo del Toro was recently confirmed as the director of "The Hobbit" and the brigding movie. I'm extrememly excited about this.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117984595.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

On topic, I've do hope they end up making all 7 books into movies. I heard rumors about it not happening. I don't remember details why. I think it involved the movies not making enough money. I mean, if Harry Potter can have all the books made into movies, Narnia should too. Like I said, I prefer Narnia over Harry. But LOTR almost trumps everybody for me. Only Indy and Star Wars are on the same level as LOTR for me.

Katarn07

Well Dawn Treader is coming, but the rest are going to be determined by box office numbers I'm sure. Disney releasing this in May with KotCS and Iron Man isn't helping matters any. I've heard they wanted to do all 7 and dish them out one after another because of the kids' aging. They could save Magician's Nephew and A Horse and His Boy (my least favorite) for the end considering the kids aren't in those. But I've also heard that they wanted to release the movies in the same order the books were released. Then again, you've heard they're not doing all 7 so obviously we can take all this stuff we're hearing with a grain of salt.

So far we have a vote for Dawn Treader, Magician's Nephew, and Silver Chair as favorites. Usually most go with Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. I find that interesting.

|ZiR|

Katarn07 said:
I've heard they wanted to do all 7 and dish them out one after another because of the kids' aging. They could save Magician's Nephew and A Horse and His Boy (my least favorite) for the end considering the kids aren't in those.

Except they are. The Pevensie's are featured in The Horse and His Boy. Oh, wait-- it's the adult Pevensie children. Nevermind.

So far we have a vote for Dawn Treader, Magician's Nephew, and Silver Chair as favorites. Usually most go with Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. I find that interesting.

Really? I find that interesting. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was always my least favorite. I've always liked the stories that stretch the boundries of Narnia. I reread The Silver Chair, The Magicians Nephew, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader much more often than the others.

UltimateManGod

Katarn07 said:
Well Dawn Treader is coming, but the rest are going to be determined by box office numbers I'm sure. Disney releasing this in May with KotCS and Iron Man isn't helping matters any.
Then again, you've heard they're not doing all 7 so obviously we can take all this stuff we're hearing with a grain of salt.

Perhaps I was too ambiguous with my comments. You have it right. It's all tied into the box office performance. Dawn Treader is a go no matter what, and the rest hinge on the money. But again, that's only what I read.

Matinee Idyll

The BBC series from the 80's kicks the absolute crap out of the Disney film. No comparison.

Silver Chair will always be my favourite.

Katarn07

So we never got around to discussing this. I saw it the night before Indy was released and loved it. I wouldn't say it was better or worse than the original. It was a very different tone. It was much darker, and the world of Narnia has gotten a huge facelift it's hard to tell you're even in the same place as before.

It was slow going at first and told in a very different order than the book, but it worked out pretty well. I was actually astonished at how violent the film is! There were more onscreen deaths in this than there were in KotCS! The raid on the castle stronghold was too cool (though not in the book) and a few of the tactics in the final battle were pretty impressive as well (also not in the book). The White Witch's cameo was larger than expected (and also not in the book.... Notice a trend here?).

If you liked the first one, see this with an open mind. You may love it but you may hate the change in style. If you hated the first one, give this one a whirl. You may prefer the darker tone.

MaxPhactor23

I actually thought the film was rather good and very enjoyable. Of the books I?m specially fond of Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader. I think Narnia has somewhat harmed itself though. It?s got a very strong Christian fan base, but making it overly dark destroys their interest. I?m very far from religious though. I?m particularly glad to lose the almost obnoxiously blatant Christian allegories. I don?t like being preached to. So I found Prince Caspian was light-years ahead of it?s predecessor. But I think this had a lot to do with it?s below average performance at the box office. They chastise half their audience. People won?t see this one because they think it will be overly Christian once again, but then the Christians won?t see this one in avid numbers because of the loss of the faith based plot points. In turn that leaves basically me to go see it?

ReggieSnake

I may have enjoyed Prince Caspian more than Lion. Edmund and Lucy were very strong characters. Alslan was much better than in the first. I felt one weak link in the movie, though, was Peter.

The best part of the movie was Lucy's Dream. It accents the difference between the worlds of England and Narnia: everything is wonderfully alive. This sense of wonder is very representative of Lewis's intent, IMO.

adventure_al

Katarn07 said:
Am I the only person that loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? I don't think it was "awful," or "just alright," or "good for a kids' movie." I think it was amazing. Granted I read all 7 books as a kid (some more than others) so knew not to expect another LotR like some might have. I'm glad that 3/4 of the actors for the kids didn't turn my stomach and I love all the creatures shown.

So who else is pumped for Prince Caspian? I remember not liking the book as much as the first one or Magician's Nephew (my personal favorite of the series), but it should still be exciting to see.

My least favour on the series. The LWatW was well made and I enjoyed it but I enjoyed the books more so. Still I can't wait for Prince Caspian, probably my favourite of the series along with Dawn Treader.

|ZiR|

I like The Magician's Nephew. It has some great imagery. The forest of pools, the doomed world with the red sky, crazy architecture, and giant dying sun... we'll also get to see Tilda Swinton again, if they ever get around to making it.

The Man

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23934

Cold tidings for Caspian this morning, as Walt Disney Studios announced that they will not be co-producing and co-financing the adaptation of CS Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third of the Narnia films. This leaves Walden Media, the other big force behind the films, to find another partner if the film is indeed to hit screens in 2010.

Disney cited "budgetary and logistical" reasons for the move, which probably translates as "it's very expensive, and the last one didn't do so brilliantly at the box office". Prince Caspian made a hair under $420 million at the worldwide box office, compared to $745 million for its predecessor The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

TheMutt92

Oh come on Disney! You can't just drop a franchise midway! Especially when they were getting so close to producing the third one! I think its in general agreement that the only thing seriously wrong w/ PC was that it was relesed between Iron Man and Indy! Stick to a holiday release!

The thing that dosn't get me is the money. The first Narnia made over 700 million at the BO, and while PC didn't make as much, it still made it to the top ten while have to face off Iron Man and Indy, and then later Hulk, Hellboy, Batman...

Lets just hope that if the rumor is correct and Fox winds up w/ it, they at least have the smarts not to interfere as they have been doing in their other franchises.

QBComics

That sucks.

The only reason Caspian didn't do well, is because Iron Man and Speed Racer came out a week before, and Indy was right up Caspian's ass.

Way to go Disney. (n)