Norse mythology

MaverickKing

Not a lot of Fanfics - Indy or Tomb Raider - use Norse mythology. Why not? It's a veritable treasure trove of great myths. The Ragnarok? Mjolnir? Thor's girdle of strength? The armies of Valhalla? It's all brilliant stuff.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I agree. Norse myth is full of interesting macguffins and such. I think it's because we see a lot of Norse mythology in novels like C.S. Lewis' Narnia and Tolkien's LOTR. It get covered a lot in that sort of ultra fantasy rather than adventure like Indy. However the sequel to Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, deals with a lot of Norse and Scandinavian myths, shows potential for use in the Indyverse.

Also Norse myths aren't really read in school (in Australia anyway). A lot of mythology teaching on primary school levels revolve around Rome, Greece and Egypt so their mythologies are taught along with the history and culture of those civilisations. It also like saying why don't they use Australian aboriginal myths (such as the Rainbow Serpent) and Maori myths. I doubt most people here would have learnt much about those myths, if at all.

MaverickKing

OMG You're from Australia! WOO! Where, exactly?

Yes, I read a fanfic once where Indy had to find a Maori artefact. There was a Tomb Raider comic where she searched for the Dream Spear in the Australian desert.

I just love Norse mythology. I pray the next Indiana Jones game has something to do with it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Why so shocked that I'm from Australia? I'm from and live in a city known as the Gold Coast in the state of Queensland. GC is about a thousand km's north of Sydney. There's quite a few of us Aussies here nowdays.

I haven't read that issue of TR. What number is it? I kinda collect the TR comics.

Norse mythology is pretty interesting. It's amazing how much it inspired Lewis' work. I got pretty inspired myself.

As for the next Indy game. It doesn't look like it at the moment. Who knows?

MaverickKing

I just don't know many people from Australia. They're usually from England, America, or... somewhere else.

Some people said King Solomon's Mines for the new Indy game, but I thought they did that earlier. Whatever they choose, I'm still excited.

There were some bad TR comics - like the Angel of Darkness adaptation - but the series had Chase Carver, my favourite character.

Issues #41 and #42 are the Spirit Walker saga, where she searches for a special amulet.

Tomb Raider Journeys Issues #7-11 revolve around Lara searching for the stolen Maori Dream Spear. She eventually enters a Dreamtime world, like another dimension, in her search for it.

The Adventurer

Just a great idea! These legends are great, like the old greeks legends of Olimpus, The great Yggdrasill; and Odin (Wodan for germans) trail to get the secret behind the runes from the Nornir sisters... amazing mithology!