The Raven

The Raven (http://raven.theraider.net/index.php)
-   Indy Literature (http://raven.theraider.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1 (http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=16824)

yodazone 09-10-2008 03:51 PM

Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1
 
INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES VOLUME 1



Written by Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Denny O'Neil, David Michelinie and Archie Goodwin, art by Byrne, Howard Chaykin, Klaus Janson, Terry Austin and others.

Join comics luminaries Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Archie Goodwin, and Howard Chaykin, among others, in the very first appearances of the esteemed professor on the comic-book page! Weighing in at a hefty three hundred and sixty-eight pages, this tome collects the first twelve issues of the 1980s ongoing series -- along with the adaptation of Raiders of the Lost Ark -- for the very first time. And David Michelinie, the writer who would go on to pen most of Indy's four-color adventures, begins his imaginative run here! Fans of the films won't want to miss these classic tales that extend the Indiana Jones mythos beyond the silver screen.

368 pages, $24.95, in stores on Feb. 18.

:up: :up: :up:

Johnny Jones 09-10-2008 04:43 PM

Please tell me this is real, and not just an idea of what it should look like that you drew up in your spare time. :up: :up: :up:

yodazone 09-10-2008 04:51 PM

It's the real deal!

And they're including the "Raiders" Comic Adaptations!

:up: :up: :up:

JimmyPSHayes 09-10-2008 05:02 PM

Now THIS is the one I've been waiting for!!! :up:

|ZiR| 09-10-2008 05:18 PM

This is the Marvel run, right? I know more than a few of the people here have said it's superior to the Dark Horse comics.

Avilos 09-10-2008 06:02 PM

It would not surprise me. I bought both Of the Dark Horse omnibuses and was not that impressed. I have yet to read all the way through either. From descriptions the Marvel comics captured the pulpy, adventure fell of the movies better. I really enjoyed Marvel's Star Wars comics for the same reason. Which seemed more aware of the styles of Lucas' original influences than later comics.

Plaristes 09-10-2008 06:45 PM

I posted this on the Dark Horse forums, but I thought I'd post it here, too.

Sweet!!! :D :up: It's great these are finally being republished. That blurb has my hopes up, too. Notice that volume one will reprint 12 issues plus the Raiders adaptation (which was three issues long) for a total of fifteen issues. This leaves 28 issues (22 more Further Adventures and 6 issues of adaptations). Does this mean that volume 3 will be filled out by including the 3 French comics, as well as the UK-only comics in the Young Telegraph and "The Treasure of Monte Cassana"?

yodazone 09-10-2008 07:08 PM

The good folks over at Rebelscum.com just posted their advance solicits too with a couple of extra blurbs:

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...008_117650.asp

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Vol. 1 is the first modern collection of material originally published by Marvel!

The first two Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 43,000 copies!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

43,000 copies! Wow!

Let's see....43,000 times $24.95 (omnibus retail price) is.....tap-tap-tap-equals....$1,072.850.00!

No wonder Dark Horse is pushing the Indy Omnibus line so fast! :whip:

DIrishB 09-10-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaristes
I posted this on the Dark Horse forums, but I thought I'd post it here, too.

Sweet!!! :D :up: It's great these are finally being republished. That blurb has my hopes up, too. Notice that volume one will reprint 12 issues plus the Raiders adaptation (which was three issues long) for a total of fifteen issues. This leaves 28 issues (22 more Further Adventures and 6 issues of adaptations). Does this mean that volume 3 will be filled out by including the 3 French comics, as well as the UK-only comics in the Young Telegraph and "The Treasure of Monte Cassana"?


Eh, that might be a little too optimistic. I think its more likely they'll re-print it like this:

Volume 1 = #1-12 Further Adventures, Raiders #1-3
Volume 2 = #13-23 Further Adventures, ToD #1-3
Volume 3 = #24-34 Further Adventures, LC #1-3

I wonder if they'll include the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull adaptation amongst these...

...However, if the sales of these volumes are positive (as I think the first two Indy Omnibus editions have been), Dark Horse might consider re-printing some of those rare Indy comics. It really depends on how hard it would be for them to get whatever copyrights needed to re-print those foreign tales, and if they think sales would be worth it.

I know there are many of us who are VERY happy to see Dark Horse re-printing these old Marvel Indy tales, and hope the trend continues. I still want to see the Young Indy comics (#1-12, and the "Indy in China" and "April, 1916" strips reprinted from the YIJC Magazine), as well as all the rare European tales (the 3 French Bagheera comics, "The Treasure of Monte Cassana", "The Mountains of Superstition").

Dark Horse coming through for the Indy comic fans...gotta love it!

I'm about to email Dark Horse now and commend them for re-printing these tales...I recommend everyone else do the same (and suggest reprinting those other rare tales in a future Omnibus).

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodazone
43,000 copies! Wow!

Let's see....43,000 times $24.95 (omnibus retail price) is.....tap-tap-tap-equals....$1,072,850.00!

No wonder Dark Horse is pushing the Indy Omnibus line so fast!



Thats awesome! I hope those numbers continue and we see the Indy Omnibus line continue as long and as quickly released as possible. I think there's enough existing material for another two Omnibus editions beyond the (most likely) 3 volumes that will make up the 34 issues of Further Adventures and 9 issues of the movie adaptations. One focusing on Young Indy comics (the twelve issues of the YIJC, the comic and short story from the YIJC Magazine, the rare Mountains of Superstition strips from the UK), and another focusing on rare European only Indy comics (the French Bagheera comics, the Monte Cassino story, etc). There's plenty of material yet to collect!




I wonder if they're releasing this to coincide with the release of the upcoming Staff of Kings video game...

Moedred 09-10-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaristes
This leaves 28 issues (22 more Further Adventures and 6 issues of adaptations).

Last Crusade was 4 issues, so it looks like a total 44 issues split 3 ways, hopefully.
Fantastic news! Can they improve upon the old method of coloring, like they did on the cover?

yodazone 09-10-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIrishB
...I still want to see the Young Indy comics (#1-12, and the "Indy in China" and "April, 1916" strips reprinted from the YIJC Magazine), as well as all the rare European tales (the 3 French Bagheera comics, "The Treasure of Monte Cassana", "The Mountains of Superstition").

Dark Horse coming through for the Indy comic fans...gotta love it!

I'm about to email Dark Horse now and commend them for re-printing these tales...I recommend everyone else do the same (and suggest reprinting those other rare tales in a future Omnibus).


I don't think they're even aware of the UK Indy tales at all.
Feel free to post over on the Dark Horse boards (Star Wars section) and tell them not to forget these hidden stories too!
I'll help keep the topic at the top too. :up:

I'm just glad the old Indy Marvel run is getting reprinted on new & glossy cardstock! (the old '80s issues have the old comic smell to them...)

The new remastered print should be worth the wait!

Plaristes 09-10-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIrishB
...However, if the sales of these volumes are positive (as I think the first two Indy Omnibus editions have been), Dark Horse might consider re-printing some of those rare Indy comics. It really depends on how hard it would be for them to get whatever copyrights needed to re-print those foreign tales, and if they think sales would be worth it.


It's my understanding that, as the current holder of the Indy license, they have the right to reprint any Indy comics that have ever been published. They don't need to ask Marvel's permission to reprint the Further Adventures, so they won't need to get permission from the Telegraph either. The more difficult issue is whether they can get access to the comics to reprint them. The upcoming Luke Skywalker: Last Hope for the Galaxy reprints "The Day After the Death Star" from Marvel UK's Star Wars Weekly, but only because a fan offered to let Dark Horse borrow his copies of the original issues to make high quality scans. If the overseas Indy stories are that rare, Brody and Rob might have to let Dark Horse borrow their copies.

Violet 09-10-2008 08:12 PM

*does happy dance* :up:

DIrishB 09-10-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodazone
I don't think they're even aware of the UK Indy tales at all.
Feel free to post over on the Dark Horse boards (Star Wars section) and tell them not to forget these hidden stories too!
I'll help keep the topic at the top too. :up:

I'm just glad the old Indy Marvel run is getting reprinted on new & glossy cardstock! (the old '80s issues have the old comic smell to them...)

The new remastered print should be worth the wait!


Agreed. And I've emailed them several times about reprinting the UK/French tales...so someone over there knows about them. I even linked them to BrodyIsDead's site in the hopes they'd check it out.

It may not be likely, but if the strong sales of the Omnibus continue, Dark Horse might start getting desperate for material to print. Its possible they might turn to the rare European tales, especially since they're not available (or translated in some cases) in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaristes
It's my understanding that, as the current holder of the Indy license, they have the right to reprint any Indy comics that have ever been published. They don't need to ask Marvel's permission to reprint the Further Adventures, so they won't need to get permission from the Telegraph either. The more difficult issue is whether they can get access to the comics to reprint them. The upcoming Luke Skywalker: Last Hope for the Galaxy reprints "The Day After the Death Star" from Marvel UK's Star Wars Weekly, but only because a fan offered to let Dark Horse borrow his copies of the original issues to make high quality scans. If the overseas Indy stories are that rare, Brody and Rob might have to let Dark Horse borrow their copies.


Oh, ok. I wasn't sure what the legal issues were. In terms of reprinting the UK/French comics, I hope that somehow happens. God, I hope so. It'd be so much better than my printed versions (though I'm eternally grateful to Brody and Rob for making that possible).


As said, I email Dark Horse about once a month suggesting they look into reprinting the old Marvel comics (which they're now doing) and the rare European tales. I don't think they're listening only to me (obviously), so if enough people email them and show there is an interest and awareness of these tales amongst Indy fans, they just might do it (or at least attempt it).

yodazone 09-10-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaristes
The more difficult issue is whether they can get access to the comics to reprint them. The upcoming Luke Skywalker: Last Hope for the Galaxy reprints "The Day After the Death Star" from Marvel UK's Star Wars Weekly, but only because a fan offered to let Dark Horse borrow his copies of the original issues to make high quality scans. If the overseas Indy stories are that rare, Brody and Rob might have to let Dark Horse borrow their copies.


Oh yea, I remember that classic thread!

I wonder if the fan who lent those UK issues for scanning is getting a comp copy of the new Luke Skywalker hardcover...:D

I also want to see Dark Horse collect that rare 2-page "Young Indy" story with the Adam Hughes artwork for the "Young Indy" Omnibus. But I guess that's more down the line....after the Marvel run! :up:

DIrishB 09-10-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodazone
Oh yea, I remember that classic thread!

I wonder if the fan who lent those UK issues for scanning is getting a comp copy of the new Luke Skywalker hardcover...:D

I also want to see Dark Horse collect that rare 2-page "Young Indy" story with the Adam Hughes artwork for the "Young Indy" Omnibus. But I guess that's more down the line....after the Marvel run! :up:


Yeah, I don't mean to get ahead of myself. But I figure the Marvel comics getting reprinted are pretty much a sure thing (I think the sales of the first two Indy Omnibus editions almost guarantee we'll see all 3 volumes of the Further Adventures released), so now's the time to start offering ideas and suggestions for further Omnibus editions beyond that. I definitly encourage people to email Dark Horse and post on their message board letting them know we're happy this is coming out, and encouraging them to reprint those Euro tales.

Snakes 09-10-2008 09:03 PM

YES! I've been trying to track down as many old marvel Indy comics as a can. Now I can get them all in a nicely sized volume. I'm really looking forward to the movie adaptations in particular. I hope they include all the covers this time though. That's the only thing I disliked about the other Indy omnibuses. (omnibuses?):confused:

DIrishB 09-10-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakes
YES! I've been trying to track down as many old marvel Indy comics as a can. Now I can get them all in a nicely sized volume. I'm really looking forward to the movie adaptations in particular. I hope they include all the covers this time though. That's the only thing I disliked about the other Indy omnibuses. (omnibuses?):confused:


Maybe its "Omnibi"?

;)

indyclone25 09-10-2008 09:46 PM

well i'm glad that they are reprinting the old marvel series but i have all the issues --- i guess i will have to see how the color will look in the book to see if i decide to buy it

yodazone 09-10-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIrishB
...so now's the time to start offering ideas and suggestions for further Omnibus editions beyond that. I definitly encourage people to email Dark Horse and post on their message board letting them know we're happy this is coming out, and encouraging them to reprint those Euro tales.


There's a good list posted over there now:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards...ic.php?t=14369


The DH board needs more vocal Indy fans!

:gun:

DIrishB 09-10-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodazone
There's a good list posted over there now:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards...ic.php?t=14369


The DH board needs more vocal Indy fans!

:gun:


Done! I really need to start posting more often on the DH boards. Its just so SW related that I feel alienated most of the time (I'm an exclusive Indy fan).

Goonie 09-10-2008 11:00 PM

Wow! That's awesome. I'll definitely be buying that. I can't wait to read the Marvel comics.:up: :up:

HellofaSandwich 09-11-2008 01:03 AM

Awesome!! I own most of the Marvel comics, but it'll be nice to finally get to read the series remastered without dealing with the old comic smell/faded colors.

Sakis 09-11-2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakes
YES! I've been trying to track down as many old marvel Indy comics as a can. Now I can get them all in a nicely sized volume. I'm really looking forward to the movie adaptations in particular. I hope they include all the covers this time though. That's the only thing I disliked about the other Indy omnibuses. (omnibuses?):confused:


That's exactly my thought, too. I bought the Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle book and it was really nice to have all the covers. Let's just hope they include all the covers, even as some kind of appendix.

phantom train 09-11-2008 08:42 AM

This is truly excellent news. As a fan of the Marvel IJ issues for a long time, I am really looking forward to this Omnibus. It's too bad we have to wait 5 more months, though.

Also, as others have said, I hope they reprint all of the covers.

Re: other non-Marvel reprints, I guess it would be nice to have some of the more obscure Indy comics reprinted, but I will settle for just the rest of the "Further Adventures" Marvel issues, as well as the TOD and LC adaptations.

I also wanted to mention that I don't think it's necessary to reprint the YIJC DH comics (I'm a very big fan and supporter of the show, but the comic adaptations didn't do the show justice). However, if they run out of other material to reprint and if the Omnibuses sell well, they may go that route.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.