The Raven

The Raven (http://raven.theraider.net/index.php)
-   Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (http://raven.theraider.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What was your experience seeing KOTCS in the theater like? (http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17640)

Dr.Jonesy 01-04-2009 01:11 PM

What was your experience seeing KOTCS in the theater like?
 
I seem to remember my auditorium packed. People got the humor, and seemed to be having a good time. Everyone seemed to be into it, and once the credits rolled most of the crowed applauded.

I haven't seen that since Spiderman 2 and Iron Man or The Departed. It happened in The Dark Knight but still, applause is rare for me to hear.

I was one of the few that was so pissed off at the POS I thought I had just seen. Don't worry, after multiple viewings I love it:up:

But how did the crowd in your theater react to the film?

The Man 01-04-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Jonesy
I seem to remember my auditorium packed. People got the humor, and seemed to be having a good time. Everyone seemed to be into it, and once the credits rolled most of the crowed applauded.

I haven't seen that since Spiderman 2 and Iron Man or The Departed. It happened in The Dark Knight but still, applause is rare for me to hear.

I was one of the few that was so pissed off at the POS I thought I had just seen. Don't worry, after multiple viewings I love it:up:

But how did the crowd in your theater react to the film?


Some of the kids shrieked when the ants 'invaded' Dovchenko, but other than that? Nothing. Not a hoot, not a holler, no applause to the credits. Felt like a wake...

Dr.Jonesy 01-04-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man
Some of the kids shrieked when the ants 'invaded' Dovchenko, but other than that? Nothing. Not a hoot, not a holler, no applause to the credits. Felt like a wake...


Dang, I was wondering when you'd be here to throw your two cents in on how you felt about the film!:gun:

Insomniac 01-04-2009 02:10 PM

Standing ovation for all the 12:00 may 22 fans. Humorus parts everyone laughed everyone was wowed and amazed!!!:up:

Lance Quazar 01-04-2009 02:34 PM

My friend and I made an honest effort to enjoy the movie, at least for the first hour.

Laughing at the jokes, trying to get into it...until it became all too obvious that we were looking at crap.

The rest of the audience was silent and stone-faced throughout the movie. A packed house, barely a chuckle or sign of life anywhere.

The buzz of disappointment and frustration complete pervaded the lobby after the show.

QBComics 01-04-2009 02:59 PM

Mine was perfect!

There was a cheer at the beginning. Laughs when appropiate. Cheers when Indy kicked ass, and plenty more. Cheer at the end.

:D

TheLastCrusader 01-04-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man
Some of the kids shrieked when the ants 'invaded' Dovchenko, but other than that? Nothing. Not a hoot, not a holler, no applause to the credits. Felt like a wake...

Ditto. I didn't know silence in a movie theater could be annoying before then.

caats 01-04-2009 03:11 PM

i had applauds at the end of my first 2 viewings. i don't really expect applauds after the first weekend. i had lots of fun when i saw it, lots of laughing in the theatre. and when Indy blew the dart into the graveyard guy the theatre went "ohhhhhhhhhhhh". the next 2 were more subdued, but that's what i expected cause they were later.

Deckard 01-04-2009 03:24 PM

Very much the same as The Phantom Menace. Except peope actually booed when I saw phantom menace, no one did that at Indy.

Packed theatre, everyone applauded at the opening titles. After the opening scene, two guys and girl wearing a fedora that were sitting up front got up and walked out. I rememer thinking thats not good. They drew alot of attention, and I can't say i really blame them.

People still reacted well to the humor etc. But at the end of the film it was total silence. No one clapped. People just kind of collected their things and left. In the lobby the general reaction was dissapointment, especialy over the aliens. This was the midnight show, no kids, mostly adults and overall I'd say they enjoyed themselves but the film fell short.

caats 01-04-2009 03:30 PM

yeah when i was walking out i was smiling to big to notice anyone. but the aliens were real hard to watch on first viewing.

Zealot 01-04-2009 04:25 PM

I don't remember exactly how the audience reacted but I know that there was no applaud of any kind. People just grabbed their things and left.

caats 01-04-2009 04:28 PM

i was in a theatre that applauded Rush Hour 3

Deckard 01-04-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caats
i was in a theatre that applauded Rush Hour 3


Omg, you poor bastard. You payed money to watch Rush Hour 3? I am so sorry. :p

caats 01-04-2009 04:31 PM

i know man. it was so horrible. comedies that aren't funny are the worst to sit through. actually, topping that was when i got dragged to the Love Guru. worst. ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zealot
I don't remember exactly how the audience reacted but I know that there was no applaud of any kind. People just grabbed their things and left.


opposed to leaving their things and staying?

Dr Bones 01-04-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastCrusader
Ditto. I didn't know silence in a movie theater could be annoying before then.



Who are you applauding?

Most films in UK cinemas get almost silence. Other than the odd LOL's and shrieks in appropriate places. (Obvioulsy the odd whisper, cell phone or ingorant talker!)

In the UK people rarely applaud at the end..what's the point? Nobody is actually there on stage to show your appreciation to and I doubt if there's even a projection operator in the back these days.

Just the way us Brits are, so it's hard to guage opinion at a cinema showing.

Tell tale signs in Uk cinemas are people walking out mid film, complaining on the way out or kids talking/messing around because they are bored.

Superman Returns and Ang Lee's Hulk was a prime example. Kids were not interested unless there was action on screen, then they went back to running around as the rest of the film was too dull.

Quantum of Solace had quite a few "moaners" opinions as they left the cinema. "Not as good as the last one..etc"

KOTCS did Ok by comparrison.:up: People were laughing at appropriate humourous bits. People seemed quite positive as they left.

The Man 01-04-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones
In the UK people rarely applaud at the end..what's the point? Nobody is actually there on stage to show your appreciation to and I doubt if there's even a projection operator in the back these days.


That's very true. In Ireland, applause was once quite common. I remember watching the '80's Bond movies in the cinema, which would always get good ovations. Rocky IV had people actually cheering and coaching Balboa on. But from the '90's on the practice seemed to have withered.

The last movie that got total applause was American Beauty...

Udvarnoky 01-04-2009 05:21 PM

I went see the movie several times, so I experienced a range of different reactions. The midnight showing was the most memorable for me, because it was packed with nothing but Indiana Jones fans who were eager for nothing more than a fun ride, and their response was muted at best. The sense I got wasn't so much "WTF is this garbage" as it was "...This is it?" Everyone walked out underwhelmed, which is in its own way more depressing than outright hostility, which is at least a passionate response.

The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when I took an under ten relative of mine (an overnight Indy fanatic by my doing) to an early afternoon showtime, which was naturally attended by mostly kids. The audience and especially him really seemed to dig it, and it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie. In the case of Indy4, kids definitely seemed to occupy that category.

Dr Bones 01-04-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky

The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when I took an under ten relative of mine (an overnight Indy fanatic by my doing) to an early afternoon showtime, which was naturally attended by mostly kids. The audience and especially him really seemed to dig it, and it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie. In the case of Indy4, kids definitely seemed to occupy that category.


I guess there you have it...fanboys and people with whatever expectations were dissapointed but those with an open mind, such as that of a child, simply going to be entertained rather than act as film critics, enjoyed it.

I wonder if ROTLA was made after TOD would those who prefer it have a different opinion?

We seem to get territorial over films that have nostalgic value to us or whatever significance but ultimately they are not our property.

If your child painted you a picture which you then stuck on your fridge, would you refuse to put up the next one because in your opinion it wasn't as good or wasn't the first?

The Man 01-04-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones
I wonder if ROTLA was made after TOD would those who prefer it have a different opinion?


Almost certainly.

Udvarnoky 01-04-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones
I guess there you have it...fanboys and people with whatever expectations were dissapointed but those with an open mind, such as that of a child, simply going to be entertained rather than act as film critics, enjoyed it.


They've certainly got more of an open mind than you do, that's for sure. I'm getting really sick of this argument that everyone who was disappointed by the movie felt that way because their expectations were unfair.

Dr Bones 01-04-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
They've certainly got more of an open mind than you do, that's for sure.



On what do you base that senseless attack?

Totally uncalled for!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I'm getting really sick of this argument that everyone who was disappointed by the movie felt that way because their expectations were unfair.


Seems like you made your mind up about this "argument" without room for consideration of the alternative. (And I thought it was a discussion).

Thanks for your open minded response.

Udvarnoky 01-04-2009 05:54 PM

You insinuated that everyone who went to my midnight showing (which would include me), and indeed anyone who didn't like the film, were "fanboys" who didn't enjoy the movie because they failed to have an open mind. How exactly do you expect that sort of talk to bring out the civility in people?

As a die-hard Indiana Jones fan and someone who I like to believe can go into a movie with an open mind, I was very disappointed by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My expectations were for exactly what was promised: an Indiana Jones movie that delivers - nothing more or less. I did not expect a movie that would be anywhere near Raiders, but I did not expect a movie that was relentlessly average, either. I don't go to a film with Indiana Jones in the title to see an average action adventure movie, because it's not an average franchise and it's not made by average talent. That is not the same as expecting something classic, or flawless, or whatever other expectations some people here are quick to attribute to people who don't agree with them.

I think the odds were always against Indy4, and that it was never going to surpass its predecessors. I also believe it could have, and should have, been a much better film, and if that makes me a "fanboy," then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Dr Bones 01-04-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
You insinuated that everyone who went to my midnight showing (which would include me), and indeed anyone who didn't like the film, were "fanboys" who didn't enjoy the movie because they failed to have an open mind. How exactly do you expect that sort of talk to bring out the civility in people?



Ok...I am truly sorry if you misunderstood my post. I did not intend to insult anyone but that said if you cannot responded without "civility" as you put it then perhaps you should not respond at all or refer to the forum code of conduct.

Anyway..Edited for relevance..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
I went see the movie several times, The midnight showing was the most memorable for me, because it was packed with nothing but Indiana Jones fans ... Everyone walked out underwhelmed..



I didn't label you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udvarnoky

The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when .... it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie.



So you paid to see a movie you were disappointed with several times, but in the end it was the infectious reactions of an appreciative audience (not made up solely of Indy fans) made it more enjoyable?

Can you see how I arrived at my opinion from what you said?

Ultimately we are all fans on here otherwise why would we be here?

I merely reflected on what is a common perception from fans aka fanboys like myself!

You being "sick" of a common pereption or opinion does not give you license to drop civility.

I think I have made my point.

Again I apologise if I come across badly or if the written word is too easy to misinterpet but I feel strongly that your response was completely unnecessaery.

I trust my apology is accepted.

muttjones 01-04-2009 06:43 PM

mine was packed. everyone laughed at everything (even the goaphers). I seemed to enjoy it the most more than any other time then (not so much now). The first minute of the film stuffed up and no picture came up and people shouted towards the projector room. It was a great atmosphere. I had never experienced a movie like that before.

Way of the dodo 01-04-2009 06:44 PM

Both times I saw it the crowd was totally with the movie UNTIL the quicksand scene. Then you could feel it slowly slipping away, more and more, the movie totally lost them around the waterfalls and never got them back.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.