The Raven

The Raven (http://raven.theraider.net/index.php)
-   Collecting Indy (http://raven.theraider.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Acquisitions!! (http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=13061)

Billy Ray 06-19-2008 12:58 PM

Indy w/machine gun looks pretty good! Is that a new headsculpt? May have to get a couple for kit-bashing.

bonoferox 06-19-2008 01:03 PM

If youhave them open, can you try a headswap with a KOTCS Indy and the body of Henry? I just want to see if it's possible to make a Classroom Indy.

metalinvader 06-19-2008 02:27 PM

Those LC look great! Looks like it's time to start hitting the stores again!

Uki 06-19-2008 03:40 PM

Good idea for the Professor Indy there, Bonoferox...

Henry's hat comes off, correct? It looks as though it;s simply misplaced atop his "inflated noggin."

Nurhachi1991 06-19-2008 04:40 PM

NOOOO!!!! They couldn't even give Vogel a red armband............ :mad:

On another note I called the company to ask if I did win the Lego package and........... I won!!!!! I get all the Lego sets!!! I actually one something :up:

Kooshmeister 06-19-2008 04:47 PM

Got the Crystal Skull novelization by James Rollins today. $26 for a book! Yikes. 'Course, I got it at the PX at Fort Bragg. Maybe they jack the prices up.

GiantThuggee 06-19-2008 05:06 PM

I was lucky enough to score all 6 Last Crusade figures yesterday between 2 different Wal-marts in Orange County, CA.

In my first haul I found everything except Vogel and Henry. I expect they'll be the hardest to come by.

I was able to scour around last night and finally found the other 2. I hope you all don't mind, but I'll give you some brief reviews/observations.

Henry Jones Sr.
I have to admit, I was more impressed with the Henry Jones figure than I thought I would be based on the photos we had seen from Hasbro. He has a little clear plastic cone between his head and his hat in the package so that's why it seems to sit really high, giving the illusion of an "inflated head". I couldn't wait to open him up and see if his glasses were removable. Good news! They are completely removable(not glued) and the likeness of Connery is really quite impressive. Even after I removed the clear plastic cone from the packaging the hat still didn't feel like it fit right, but maybe that's just me.

Second thing I did was pop his head off and put a KOTCS Indy head in it's place. It fit in the peg pretty well, but the neck feels way too long, and the skin tone doesn't match. Henry is really pale compared to Indy. I'd recommend dremelling out the Indy head so it sits lower on the neck. And for Professor Indy's glasses I took the thin metal wire inside of a twist-tie and wrapped it around a toothpick(for each eye) and it looks a lot better than the spectacles that came with Connery. I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them later or tomorrow.

Vogel:
The detail on Vogel is incredible. I was less-than-impressed with the face sculpt, but the paint apps were right on. I was suprised to see an actual circle indented into his all-black armband. That would actually make it very easy to customize to make it "historically accurate." Makes me wonder if Hasbro had originally intended to make it red and white while simply leaving the swastika off. The functional holster was a nice touch too. It wasn't big and clunky like the Raiders Indy version, instead this was more proportionate.

Indy with Tie/Machine Gun
Excellent head sculpt. Definitely better likeness of a younger Harrison Ford, even down to the chin scar. The stubble is light brown, not red like some have reported. The only problem- I saw at least 4 or 5 of these Indy's and none had a perfectly shaped beard painted on. One side was always lower than the other. The rest of the sculpt was pretty much the same as the other Indys except for the belt. The whip-holder on this belt had a much smaller loop than the others and actually makes it very difficult to keep his whip strapped to his hip.

Young Indy
Great likeness of River Phoenix! Overall a very well made figure. But every single one I've seen has a really funky paint job on his hair. It's "streaky", and not very realistic looking at all. I was also bummed that the only action-figure scaled Cross of Coronado is molded onto his belt. The relic he comes with is too large for 3 3/4" scale.

Elsa
She may not look very exciting, but I really like this figure. The one(and only one) I found had really nice paint apps. She's much sturdier than Spalko and has no trouble standing on her own. Now if only I could find a hat and goggles big enough to fit over her gi-normous hair!

Grail Knight
By far, one of the best figures in this wave. Everything about this figure rocks! Though he lacks ankle and wrist articulation, and his outfit restricts movement, you can still place him in a number of Iconic poses from the movie. And at last, we get a 3 3/4" scale Holy Grail!!! The only thing that would have made him better was if his relic was slightly larger. Sir Richard's shield isn't quite big enough to be in scale... but it still looks fantastic!

Overall, paint apps seem to be less of an issue with this wave. And here's another pic of the 1st 4 figures I found in an action pose on my desk at work.

thelaw 06-19-2008 05:49 PM

Yeah, overall they are beautiful. Head and shoulders over the May 1 offerings. In the cases I saw, Henry and Vogel were only 1 per case (Wave 3 R1), which is pobably why they were in shorter supply, at least in Southern California. The last two slots in the 12-figure case were Idol Indy and RPG Indy (I forgot to inspect the paintjobs to see if there was any substantial improvement there; I was too excited about my findings!). Too bad that so far there doesn't seem to be a case that's evenly packed. I guess Hasbro feels that an old man in a suit with a book for an accessory isn't going to be the most popular figure, outside of us of course.

Goonie 06-19-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantThuggee
I was lucky enough to score all 6 Last Crusade figures yesterday between 2 different Wal-marts in Orange County, CA.

GiantThuggee, any chance you could post a photo of the relics?

I wonder when the figures will show up here in Canada. Right now the selection of Indy toys in local stores is pathetic.

Are they planning any deluxe figures or vehicles for Last Crusade? We already have the German on motorbike, but I wonder if they'll release a motorbike with a sidecar that you can place Indy and Henry Sr. in.

Nurhachi1991 06-19-2008 10:30 PM

Wow great figures...............

bonoferox 06-20-2008 07:47 AM

2 Targets, 2 Wal-Marts, 1 TRU and nothing. Everywhere I looked seemed like they had just re-stocked waves 1-2 so they won't have room for anything in a while.

DetectiveFork 06-20-2008 07:54 AM

I think that once figures show up on the west coast, it's usually a couple of weeks before you'll find them in east coast stores, due to transport time and the stores getting around to putting the merchandise on the shelves.

thelaw 06-20-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goonie

I wonder when the figures will show up here in Canada. Right now the selection of Indy toys in local stores is pathetic.

Are they planning any deluxe figures or vehicles for Last Crusade? We already have the German on motorbike, but I wonder if they'll release a motorbike with a sidecar that you can place Indy and Henry Sr. in.

Hasbro answered in one of their recent QnA sessions, specifically Actionfigs.com: http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?...articleid=1916

" We do have plans for a sidecar version in 2009, but Henry Jones will be coming on a basic figure card later this year so we wouldn't include him with the motorcycle. "

The Golden Idol 06-20-2008 10:22 AM

Can someone please post close-ups of Indy's and Henry Sr.'s headsculpts?

Agent Z 06-20-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
Got the Crystal Skull novelization by James Rollins today. $26 for a book! Yikes. 'Course, I got it at the PX at Fort Bragg. Maybe they jack the prices up.

Dude! :eek:

You could have gotten it new and in hardcover for nine dollars less at Amazon.

Man, I shopped at the PX on Cherry Point when I was in for 6 years, and I don't recall that kind of highway robbery. Sheesh! :down:

BlackSleep 06-20-2008 10:41 AM

The Rollins hardcover is $14 at Sam's Club.

Maybe.Not Today 06-20-2008 11:22 AM

It seems like everyone who has found figures so far is from my area, but I feel like I've been to every walmart, target and toys r us in southern california( ok not literally but at least two of each store) in the last couple of days and I haven't found anything except a few stores that restocked the old stuff.

very frustrating :confused:

oliverjones18 06-20-2008 11:40 AM

are the LC figures out because the raider hasn't added them to the mechandise page

Billy Ray 06-20-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Z
Dude! :eek:

You could have gotten it new and in hardcover for nine dollars less at Amazon.

Man, I shopped at the PX on Cherry Point when I was in for 6 years, and I don't recall that kind of highway robbery. Sheesh! :down:

I hear that! I thought AAFES gave us a discount on books and magazines?

GiantThuggee 06-20-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goonie

Sure, here you go!

It's funny. The brown "thing" in the bottom center was originally described as a dragon carving, but the sticker that comes with it calls it a "Thugee Medallion" (Thuggee is mispelled). Weird.

UIMJ 06-20-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelaw
" We do have plans for a sidecar version in 2009, but Henry Jones will be coming on a basic figure card later this year so we wouldn't include him with the motorcycle. "

Marion came as a basic carded figure and they included practically the same toy in the Cairo two-pack with the smiling knife guy?! Not that I encourage repacks of the same toys or anything....

GiantThuggee 06-20-2008 02:16 PM

Here are a couple more pics to follow up on my reviews from yesterday:

Henry Jones Sr.

Henry without his hat:

And without Hat and Glasses:

And here's Vogel:

A close-up of his well-proportioned holster

Notice the indented circle molded into the armband

Billy Ray 06-20-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantThuggee
Sure, here you go!

It's funny. The brown "thing" in the bottom center was originally described as a dragon carving, but the sticker that comes with it calls it a "Thugee Medallion" (Thuggee is mispelled). Weird.

I posted this in the artifacts thread already but, in the Complete Making of Indiana Jones (page 137) book there are pictures of concept art for Mola Ram. Among those images, there are a couple of sketches that look exactly like this relic...one of which is labeled "pendant".

Also, on a personal note, I scored half of the LC wave today! I found Elsa, Young Indy, and Henry Sr.! Pics tonight.

"Bellosh" 06-20-2008 05:37 PM

love the relics! I just opened my Indy w/ Ark last night and now have something to keep the small relics in! :D

Errex 06-20-2008 05:44 PM

Well, I did my bit to clear up the pegs and bought Mutt w/python.

Still on the fence about Cairo Indy, but I think I'd rather get the Marion 2-pack first.