The Indy merchandise you'd like to see?

Crack that whip

Aside from creative endeavors ("more books," "more games," etc., to say nothing of "more movies" or "more episodes"), what licensed goods should be available, but aren't? What's on your dream list? Some of mine:

- LucasArts Indy game anthology. I'm counting this because the emphasis here isn't on new game creations, but simply on a repackaging to make the old classics available again. Ideally in updated versions for compatibility with contemporary hardware and OSes, possibly with (optional) graphics and audio updates (permitting play of a game exactly as it looked and sounded then, or in a version of the same game that just... shows its age less), and just maybe with ports to platforms originally unsupported, but at any rate available again. They shouldn't have any problem fitting all platforms' versions of all the Indy games up to and including Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, say, on a single DVD. Maybe it could even include some of the pre-LucasArts and/or (emulated) console games.

- Complete Indy adventures trading cards. There haven't been all that many Indy products that encompass the entire mythos, so anything new here would be great. I'd particularly like something that just lets one enjoy the entire life and times of Indy as a narrative, all in chronological sequence, but as close as one might get watching the shows and the movies more or less in order, they can't be put completely in order without disrupting some of the individual installments' own narrative cohesion (e.g., splitting Last Crusade into two pieces and watching the first two movies and all the SPF-era Young Indy between the "Utah 1912" and "Portuguese Coast 1938." What's needed here is a different kind of visual medium that doesn't rely upon one-or-two-hour chunks of media, and trading cards would be perfect.

What I'm thinking of here would be a large set of trading cards, somewhere in the hundreds for the base set, with images and scene synopses from all of Young Indy and all four movies, sequenced according to the series' internal chronology. Ideally, as a concession to both purists and the "current" canon, the resequenced Young Indy cards could have some alternate numbering scheme permitting the collector to sort them according to either the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles chronology or the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones one. Since the base set would be so large it wouldn't have as much in the way of chase cards, bonuses, etc. as (for example) the Heritage series, or at least not so many and so rare, but it could still have a respectable number of cool bonuses. The original cards would focus just on the movies and TV show, but companion series based on the books, comics, games, etc. could be done as well, and given complementary organization schemes that sort and sequence the cards neatly into the appropriate place in the original set (so, for example, there might be lettered cards for those, preceded by the number of the card in the main set that comes right before them - so if card, say, #360 is the end of Last Crusade, then the cards from the comic Longship of the Gods might be #360-A through #360-F, and Fate of Atlantis cards could then be #360-G through #360-N, or whatever, and so on; card #361 in the main set would then pick up with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). Having the "Indy EU" cards be separate series would both keep the original set down to something one could realistically collect by buying packs and trading. Naturally there'd be lots of cool photos and art from across all Indy's adventures, ideally including pics we've never seen before (and that still work in the context of telling the story). What would be great chase / bonus cards (stickers, magnets, 3-D cards, whatever) to include with this (and that haven't already been done with the Heritage set or the Pro Set Young Indy set)? I'm thinking Drew Struzan cards would be one ideal choice - all his art and art collaborations from all four movies, Young Indy, games, Disney, etc. - but there are all sorts of additional possibilities.

Apologies for the length; I wanted to communicate exactly what I had in mind for those cards... ;)

What are some of your dream Indy collectibles?

RelicHunter

I would like to see some good collector quality 12" figures of Marion, Elsa, Spalko, Sallah, and Marcus. As far as 3 3/4 I would like to see Elsa from the pierre outfit. I just really hope that the market is flooded for a long time with Indy merchandise.

barranca

RelicHunter said:
I would like to see some good collector quality 12" figures of Marion, Elsa, Spalko, Sallah, and Marcus. As far as 3 3/4 I would like to see Elsa from the pierre outfit. I just really hope that the market is flooded for a long time with Indy merchandise.

I'm with you on that, I'd like to see Sideshow (especially) concetrate on 12" character figures from the movies, not rehash indy in different guises. I'd also like to see a collection (available together) of accurate 1/6 Relics from the movies. There's going to be a lot of crap around and some realistically priced good quality Items would be good.

DocWhiskey

Crack that whip said:
- LucasArts Indy game anthology. I'm counting this because the emphasis here isn't on new game creations, but simply on a repackaging to make the old classics available again. Ideally in updated versions for compatibility with contemporary hardware and OSes, possibly with (optional) graphics and audio updates (permitting play of a game exactly as it looked and sounded then, or in a version of the same game that just... shows its age less), and just maybe with ports to platforms originally unsupported, but at any rate available again. They shouldn't have any problem fitting all platforms' versions of all the Indy games up to and including Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, say, on a single DVD. Maybe it could even include some of the pre-LucasArts and/or (emulated) console games.

I would LOVE if they released this. I would buy it in a second.

C'mon Lucas, you love to repackage things and sell them at a higher price! Do it with something we actually want!

Rhys135

Crack that whip said:

Maybe we will see the SNES and N64 Indiana games released on the Wii's Virtual Console next month. I do belive Lucasarts have confirmed that they will be releasing something on the Virtual Console and there's 1 or 2 licensed games on there allready.

Perhilion

Some quality artifact replicas that aren't difficult to get your hands on! They'd make a fortune off of those! Just the crystal skull alone; I'd buy it.
Also, a life-size chachapoyan temple playset! :D

Dr.Mirakle32

1/6th scale figures from Sideshow:
Indiana Jones in Nazi disguise w/ Bazooka
Marion in white dress from the climax of ROTLA
Belloq in Aaronic priest robes
Toht w/ melting face
Dietrich w/ shrivled head
Mola Ram
Indiana Jones (TOD) w/ torn shirt, rubber muscles, and sword
Short Round

3 3/4" from Hasbro
Sapito
German mechanic
Dietrich
Toht
Mummy
Nazi Indy w/ bazooka
Spirit from the ark
Mola Ram
Rope Bridge Indy
Short Round
Hitler

Battle packs/playsets/vehicles
Temple escape battlepack: includes Indy, Sapito, Forestal's remains, and the rolling boulder;
Well of Souls playset;
TOD mine car set;
TOD Kali Temple playset

The Man

Deckard said:
1 : 1 Scale Ark.

Sideshow 1/6 Marion Figure.

Hasbro 3 3/4 Last Crusade Bi-Plane w/ Indy and Henry.

A full-size Ark would be a dream. There was one on ebay a while back for about $1500, but there's no telling of the quality.

G-Man

I'd love a high quality art book bringing together all the posters, book covers, promotions, etc, by Amsel, Struzan and the other artists who have worked on official products...

Crack that whip

G-Man said:
I'd love a high quality art book bringing together all the posters, book covers, promotions, etc, by Amsel, Struzan and the other artists who have worked on official products...

That's another one I'd like; I've actually thought more than once about pretty much the same thing, actually.

Alternately, one devoted to just Drew Struzan's work on the series might be good. He's done so many Indy-related pieces it's a whole major subfield in itself.

If not a book, then a series of Struzan Indy posters would be great...

G-Man

Yeah, I read the other day he once did a Star Wars CD containing all his SW related art... Something like that would be amazing...

I'd really like to see expanded scores from the first 3 films and I am shocked we're STILL not getting them in time for the release of KOTCS. Talk about missed opportunity.

I'd also like to see 1:1 licensed prop replicas. Perhaps Comic Con and eFX or Sideshow?

Crack that whip

Agent Spalko said:
I'd really like to see expanded scores from the first 3 films and I am shocked we're STILL not getting them in time for the release of KOTCS. Talk about missed opportunity.

The word is Concord, the label releasing the IJatKotCS soundtrack, will indeed rerelease the other three scores later this year, though I don't know yet whether they're going to be expanded. These are on my must-have list, too...

Agent Spalko said:
I'd also like to see 1:1 licensed prop replicas. Perhaps Comic Con and eFX or Sideshow?

As I understand it, Lucasfilm was apparently actually talking to Master Replicas about it a couple years ago, but for whatever reason it never happened. I do think Lucasfilm Licensing is well-aware there's a market for such items, and I expect them to happen eventually, though I've no idea when...

Yes, I remember seeing the prototype for the MR headpiece and LFL is well aware of the demand which is why they have been cracking down on unlicensed prop makers so they can redirect sales back to them. It's possible eFX may reveal something at SDCC since they have the Star Wars license otherwise Sideshow since both are in good with LFL now.

It would be a shame if Concord were to simply re-release the previous recordings. This may be the last chance we'll ever have to get official expanded scores these films deserve. Been listening to the bootlegs in my car but the quality just isn't up to par.

Crack that whip

I also want - drumroll, please - more LEGO! In particular, I'd really like a large set of the Temple of Doom, with lots of minifigs. I keep hearing about LEGO being skittish about doing any sets based around this movie (do we know this is actually the case, BTW? Has anyone from LEGO ever come right out and said they don't want to do any ToD sets?), but even if they don't want to put one out in the general mass market and aim it at the youngest kids, they could still offer it as, say, an online LEGO store exclusive or close to it, and aim it more at the slightly older / collectors market anyway, as they've done with some of the larger, "special" Star Wars sets such as the Sandcrawler (which isn't really aimed at kids, not because of thematic content but simply by virtue of being very expensive and having scads of pieces). I also want some sort of Club Obi Wan set. I seriously doubt they'd ever do a really large set for this, but as long as I'm dreaming anyway... And I'd also love anything they did pertaining to Young Indy.

Crack that whip

Rhys135 said:
Maybe we will see the SNES and N64 Indiana games released on the Wii's Virtual Console next month. I do belive Lucasarts have confirmed that they will be releasing something on the Virtual Console and there's 1 or 2 licensed games on there allready.

What are the licensed games that are on the Virtual Console already (I presume you mean Indy ones)? I don't have a Wii yet, but I do want one...