LC Young Indy vs. YIJC

Raiders90

People complain that the YIJC is hokey or unbelievable or whatever, but couldn't the same be said for the YIJ sequence in The Last Crusade?

Yes, Indy comes across a lot of famous people in the YIJC--And that's the main unbelievable point.

But in LC's sequence, Indy:

1) Gets his hat
2) Gets his scar
3) Gets his fear of snakes.
4) Learns that a whip can be a useful tool.
5) Gets the inspiration for his future attire completely from one man.
6) Gets the idea of being someone like Fedora and not just a regular archaeologist

All in the span of about 20 minutes or so on the same afternoon.

So couldn't LC's Young Indy sequence, for this reason, be just as "hokey" or unbelievable as the YIJC? I mean if we're going to accept that the entire foundation of who Indy is was formed on an afternoon in 1912, why can't we accept what the YIJC presents? I think that both in terms of real life are just as unlikely.

Henry W Jones

Raiders112390 said:
People complain that the YIJC is hokey or unbelievable or whatever, but couldn't the same be said for the YIJ sequence in The Last Crusade?

Yes, Indy comes across a lot of famous people in the YIJC--And that's the main unbelievable point.

But in LC's sequence, Indy:

1) Gets his hat
2) Gets his scar
6) Gets the idea of being someone like Fedora and not just a regular archaeologist

So couldn't LC's Young Indy sequence, for this reason, be just as "hokey" or unbelievable as the YIJC? I mean if we're going to accept that the entire foundation of who Indy is was formed on an afternoon in 1912, why can't we accept what the YIJC presents? I think that both in terms of real life are just as unlikely.

While you are correct about the LC scene being a bit much for one day it is still that "One day". I think its a bit much assume everyday of Indy's life is great adventure or every adventure he went on was full of excitement. I find it easier to believe every so often Indy ends up in some crazy situation (every couple years or so) than it happening daily. I do like the show but it is a bit overboard at times IMHO. Also just Rivers performance alone is miles above SPF as far as the character's mannerism's. (The smirk, dialogue deliverly, ect)

Last edited:
Raiders112390 said:
...LC's sequence, Indy:

1) Gets his hat
2) Gets his scar

So couldn't LC's Young Indy sequence, for this reason, be just as "hokey" or unbelievable as the YIJC?

What's so unbelievable?

First off your number one joins number two.

He doesn't get "inspiration for his future attire completely from one man", unless I missed the gas mask bag. Which just leads me to believe Indy goes with what works, which the rucksack supports.

So he gets a scar? How does this play into any of the other films? I don't remember it being the focus of ANYTHING...besides being visible, (if you want to obsess on it), it's much like the whip scars on his back.

Ultimately he has a formative experience in his youth. What's so unbelievable about that?

The traveling Circus was an insipred set piece.

Go here to find a much less personal, albeit REAL experience which has "inspired" much more...

Now, he fell into fat bearded lady's lap but didn't chase trannies...

Goodeknight

Good point about all that happens in one afternoon. But the whole YIJC does show Henry's growth into the Indy we all know and love. So it's not like his entire personality was formed at once. You don't see the chubby kid becoming a world class adventurer. Indy was already on his way. Part of it had to do with getting thrown off track and being caught up with Poncho Villa. And, I can't blame him for getting a lifelong fear of serpents after being tossed into a giant vat of garter snakes and facing a big rubber hose with plastic fangs. Keep in mind that he traveled so much over the years that he would have encountered many snakes in many locations, too.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Now, he fell into fat bearded lady's lap but didn't chase trannies...
eeeewwwww :sick:

Moving on... Finally, in YIJC, Henry Sr. is so world renowned that everyone wants a piece of him, from heads of state to artists to spiritual teachers. His dad was running in a high end circle, so it's not surprising that he met the people he met (if you disregard the skewing of the world history timeline). There aren't that many people at the top of the social ladder. Look at Hollywood. Look at politics. Look at industry. Small circles.

But I will say, yes, a lot did happen in a short amount of time. Never bothered me, though.