The Official Wild Goose Chase Thread (for all the rumors with undisclosed source)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Black bob? I've heard about that from another fan here but where does that rumour come from? I kinda assumed that she would be blonde for this.

sarah navarro

Violet Indy said:
Black bob? I've heard about that from another fan here but where does that rumour come from? I kinda assumed that she would be blonde for this.
I hope its blonde.If she had the black bob she would kind of look the Nazi woman in Lc (you know when indy and henry are tied to the chair in the fireplace)

misnomer

lost city of gold?

I've lifted this from the superherohype.com boards...the poster (agentsands77) claims to have a friend with insider info; so do take this with a pinch of salt. Just thought it was interesting to hear a few new tidbits and a different take on John Hurts role.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=12943563

KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL is set in 1957. After an opening in the Nevada desert involving Jones and his sidekick Mac surviving a nuclear blast (a scene that is re-used from the rejected SAUCER MEN FROM MARS script), the plot of the movie kicks into gear when Mutt Ravenwood shows up at Indy's doorstep asking him for help to rescue his mother (he'd been told to seek out Indy in case of trouble), and they are pursued by the Soviets.

The artifacts themselves are actually two things. We all know about the crystal skulls (of which there are 13), which are effectively pyschic amplifiers. With them, the Soviets can control the minds of the world, so the benefit is implicit. Yes, they do come from extraterrestrial origin (though no extraterrestrials physically appear in the film).

But what you haven't been told is that the Lost City of Gold actually plays a role in the story. A colleage of Indy's, named Oaxley (I think this is John Hurt's character), was an expert in both the skulls and the Lost City of Gold, and apparently found the city, but went insane. It is in the Lost City of Gold that the remaining skulls are to be found.

The journey eventually takes them to South America, in pursuit of the Lost City of Gold. The journey is treacherous. The largest action sequence in the film involves tank-like Soviet tree-mulchers (pictures of those things have been released) cutting their way through the jungle.

I believe it is also during this section of film that the "quicksand" sequence occurs, with Marion, Indy, and Mutt all sinking. At that moment, Mutt and Indy discover their relationship to one another.

The finale occurs at the great pyramid itself. What specifically happens there? I don't know. But my source has confirmed what IESB.net reported a while back... the pyramid flies away at the end, revealing itself to be a spaceship.

The finale of the film is Indy's marriage to Marion. They ride off into the sunset, as Indy's hat is blown off and lands at the feet of Mutt Ravenwood.

Last edited by a moderator:

commontone

It all sounds great, except for the pyramid spaceship at the end. That's classic Spielberg schlock. Still, it could be really awesome and spectacular if done well.

I bet they'd be using that *because* of it's slightly out-of-place quality..that could really throttle the impact, 'cause nobody would be expecting such a sight in an Indy film. Hmm...on the surface I don't like it, but yes, it has potential to be great.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
misnomer said:
the pyramid flies away at the end
...with the skulls, leaving a rainbow in the sky? That was a riot. A well-studied synopsis, with many true parts. So good I'm a little nervous about the outrageous bits.

Where did IESB mention a flying pyramid?

rogelio

That plot sounds awesome!... of course it had to be aliens, if it goes with bible stuff once again it would be hideous repetitive!!

commontone

The Ark of the Covenant is supposed to be coming back, isn't it, according to those USC students who saw a rough trailer? I wonder how that fits into that synopsis.

loganbush

The finale of the film is Indy's marriage to Marion. They ride off into the sunset, as Indy's hat is blown off and lands at the feet of Mutt Ravenwood.

I would cry. Indy losing his hat to Mutt would mean the final end of the series, and Mutt would be Indy. I hope that's not true cause I've just spoiled the ending. I think I won't be coming to spoilers anymore just so I won't ruin the movie for myself.

Zorg

commontone said:
The Ark of the Covenant is supposed to be coming back, isn't it, according to those USC students who saw a rough trailer? I wonder how that fits into that synopsis.

Yeah, it sounds a little much if the Ark is also thrown in. I mean: it must play some role in the story. Why else would they include it?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
misnomer said:
I've lifted this from the superherohype.com boards...the poster (agentsands77) claims to have a friend with insider info; so do take this with a pinch of salt. Just thought it was interesting to hear a few new tidbits and a different take on John Hurts role.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=191721&page=123

KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL is set in 1957. After an opening in the Nevada desert involving Jones and his sidekick Mac surviving a nuclear blast (a scene that is re-used from the rejected SAUCER MEN FROM MARS script), the plot of the movie kicks into gear when Mutt Ravenwood shows up at Indy's doorstep asking him for help to rescue his mother (he'd been told to seek out Indy in case of trouble), and they are pursued by the Soviets.

The artifacts themselves are actually two things. We all know about the crystal skulls (of which there are 13), which are effectively pyschic amplifiers. With them, the Soviets can control the minds of the world, so the benefit is implicit. Yes, they do come from extraterrestrial origin (though no extraterrestrials physically appear in the film).

But what you haven't been told is that the Lost City of Gold actually plays a role in the story. A colleage of Indy's, named Oaxley (I think this is John Hurt's character), was an expert in both the skulls and the Lost City of Gold, and apparently found the city, but went insane. It is in the Lost City of Gold that the remaining skulls are to be found.

The journey eventually takes them to South America, in pursuit of the Lost City of Gold. The journey is treacherous. The largest action sequence in the film involves tank-like Soviet tree-mulchers (pictures of those things have been released) cutting their way through the jungle.

I believe it is also during this section of film that the "quicksand" sequence occurs, with Marion, Indy, and Mutt all sinking. At that moment, Mutt and Indy discover their relationship to one another.

The finale occurs at the great pyramid itself. What specifically happens there? I don't know. But my source has confirmed what IESB.net reported a while back... the pyramid flies away at the end, revealing itself to be a spaceship.

Much of it sounds rather likely and since people have speculated that the remaining rumour titles might actually refer to parts of the story, no one has mentioned (till now) how "Lost City of Gold" relates to it. But at the same token, this could just as easily be said to be the same "kingdom" as "The City of Gods". However the things that concerns me from what you've quoted is the pyramid thing flying off and the hat being blown off to Mutt. I really don't think that's the way it should end and will end (but I have been wrong before). Also the biggest pitfall of this "theory" (shall we say) is where's the Ark? Especially if we are finding that each of the rumour titles represent part of the story and if the USC kids did see the rough trailer.

Nice theory, but I think it's just that. I agree that the hat trick and the flying pyramid would be a bit silly. (We don't need a Mutt Ravenwood series.) However, I do like the idea of Oaxley. I've never thought that Hurt would be Ravenwood. He's long dead in my book.

misnomer

I dont like the idea of the torch being passed to shia, but it definitely sounds like something the beards would conjure up. As for the pyramid flying into space at the end, I'm sure it won't appear to be as silly as it sounds and will hopefully become an iconic image in the series. The Lost City Of Gold makes alot of sense, as does the 13 crystal skulls being alien in origin (the mayan calendar is very famously far too accurate to have been created when it was)...however, the absence of the ark in this synopsis is its downfall.

Maybe the ark doesnt play much of an important role, but is used in such a way to introduce us to the russians. Maybe the opening battle sees the ark destroyed or lost forever?

commontone

If the Ark is involved, I hope it's given proper weight--not just something seen in the opening sequence and then somehow buried for the rest of the movie.

Maybe it is destroyed in the nuclear blast described above..that would be cool enough, even if we never saw it again. Perhaps Indy and Mac steal it back from the Russians (or the Americans?) and toss it into the nuclear test area to keep it out of evil hands for good...and then must escape before they, too are atomized.

That would be a good opening actually. The Ark gives us the immediate feeling of being back in Indy territory, and a chase scene ending with a nuclear bomb would be spectacular...seeing nuclear technology would also make it clear that Indy is in a new era we've not seen him in before. In screenwriting terms that would all be juicy stuff that accomplishes a lot of the exposition.

misnomer

commontone said:
If the Ark is involved, I hope it's given proper weight--not just something seen in the opening sequence and then somehow buried for the rest of the movie.

Maybe it is destroyed in the nuclear blast described above..that would be cool enough, even if we never saw it again. Perhaps Indy and Mac steal it back from the Russians (or the Americans?) and toss it into the nuclear test area to keep it out of evil hands for good...and then must escape before they, too are atomized.

That would be a good opening actually. The Ark gives us the immediate feeling of being back in Indy territory, and a chase scene ending with a nuclear bomb would be spectacular...seeing nuclear technology would also make it clear that Indy is in a new era we've not seen him in before. In screenwriting terms that would all be juicy stuff that accomplishes a lot of the exposition.

I think youve hit the nail on the head there.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This might be the referenced IESB rumor: "Are there aliens in the film? Are the aliens referred to as gods by the Russians? There is a large swirly-like rocky staircase that appears to be going down into the center of the earth. This will be one of the biggest sets constructed for Indy 4 if not the biggest. This large set will break apart and put our heroes at risk and will be part of the third act."

A deus ex machina ending follows Raiders and Crusade thematically, and it's very efficient. It's a safe bet the idea was at least considered in the long scripting process. But a flyin' alien pyramid seems too absurd, even moreso than in the films that did this already (Stargate, the X-Files movie).

Zorg

Yeah, the hat trick is a bit silly ? kinda nice at the same time if you ask me ?, but it doesn't have to mean anything more than a trick. It doesn't mean there'll be The Adventures of Mutt. It the ending really is like that, it'll just signal that this really is the end of Indy's adventures, for good.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
commontone said:

Its a cool idea, however there is one problem. Jews and Christians would be offended by this because an atomic bomb is a creation of Man, and why and how can that defeat and destory something that contains the power of God. In aesthetics speak, it's like saying Man's power can best God's power.

Ska

Violet Indy said:
Its a cool idea, however there is one problem. Jews and Christians would be offended by this because an atomic bomb is a creation of Man, and why and how can that defeat and destory something that contains the power of God. In aesthetics speak, it's like saying Man's power can best God's power.

But isn't man a creation of God?

Therefore anything man creates is a creation of God.

Anyways, about the flying pyramid thing...eh, I don't know. I would rather Indy be deep down inside the Great Pyramid (are we talking THE Great Pyramid or A great pyramid?) and find some lost room that no one has touched for thousands of years. Instead of finding some ancient artifact(s), Indy and company finds some kind of futuristic materials/items that look ufo-like and "prove" that the pyramids were built by "more advanced" beings.

And, face it folks, there's probably a good possibility that Indy will get married and will "pass the hat" (either metaphorically or physically) to his son. Like it or not.

commontone

Violet Indy said:

The bomb wouldn't destroy God's power. It would just destroy the container. The Ark, the physical object, is a creation of man...it just held holy things (the ten commandments).

Then again, maybe in that scenario the Ark *wouldn't* be destroyed, and it would surface again later...