Koepp Script

Kingsley

ResidentAlien said:
Full of "Angle On's" and "Close-Ups," etc. That's directing on page.
Yes, but Polanski was probably sitting with Towne in a more collaborative way than Spielberg with Koepp.
And I seriously doubt Koepp will interfere in Spielbergs and Kaminskis area giving them a script full of shooting references.

Enough work to come up with a good polished story in that mess he probably found in so many ideas and rejected drafts. He should be credited for that.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
..."taking a break from all your worries"...

I don't know...this discussion is a bit weird. I think the -direction on page- is not necessarily a good or usual thing. I think it depends on the author of the script and his style.
I don't know anything precise about this but the "on page direction" appears to be a much debated issue on screenwriter blogs and message boards.

Also...the fear of the story feeling disjointed or being a "greatest hits" edition sounds a bit unfounded to me as many films go through these long script development processes.
Just take a stroll through imdb and check out your favorite or classic films. Many of them have rather long lists of screenwriters attached to them.
Just like ..."Children Of Men"*...with five screenwriters officially credited.

*again. sorry.

SterankoII

David Koepp talks Indy IV in Creative Screenwriting Magazine

I just saw the latest issue of Creative Screenwriting magazine with an interview with KOTCS screenwriter David Koepp. The article is not very spoiler and it doesn't have that much plot details but there are some nice tidbits:

-One of the reasons the Soviets were used as the villains of the movie was because according to Lucas' research Stalin was interested in the crystal skulls, much in the same way Hitler was in the Ark!

-Koepp thought the drafts that featured Marion worked better than the ones that didn't.

-Koepp created the character of Irina Spalko.

-When Harrison Ford read Koepp's draft he actually thought there should be more references to Indy's age put in!

-Koepp didn't create the character of Mutt but liked the idea of an inverse to the last movie with Indy being the older mentor instead of the sidekick.

-Koepp phoned up friend and ROTLA screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan for help on some of the love dialogue and he was able to just knock some off!

-Koepp didn't really put in that many references to the previous movies because it would make it seem like a "fanscript"!

Last edited:

Perhilion

this sounds good. Writing tips from Raiders is good, and we won't have to worry about everything being recycled.

The Man

Marion's line,"He doesn't think that far ahead" is a nice reference to Indy's "I don't know - I'm makin' this up as I go along".

jasperjones

It's true to the character is what's important. I wouldn't say it refs that specific line of dialogue necessarily, rather than that aspect of his character, but I guess we know about that aspect most from that line so...oh it's late...lol...I'll shut up!

torao

Moderator Emeritus
SterankoII said:
-When Harrison Ford read Koepp's draft he actually thought there should be more references to Indy's age put in!
I had almost forgotten to worry about that one.

SterankoII said:
-Koepp didn't create the character of Mutt but liked the idea of an inverse to the last movie with Indy being the older mentor instead of the sidekick.
Ugh...I hope it works.

SterankoII said:
-Koepp phoned up friend and ROTLA screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan for help on some of the love dialogue and he was able to just knock some off!
Cool.

SterankoII said:
-Koepp didn't really put in that many references to the previous movies because it would make it seem like a "fanscript"!
"That many"? Well, who knows what that means.

I don't feel as negative as this post makes it seem. Oh and thank you very much for posting this, Steranko.

Last edited:
I just want to know how much of Jeb Stuart's Saucer Men From Mars has been recycled between Darabont's and Koepp's scipt. Seems like a LOT has been retained.

No Ticket

Agent Spalko said:
I just want to know how much of Jeb Stuart's Saucer Men From Mars has been recycled between Darabont's and Koepp's scipt. Seems like a LOT has been retained.

And now I'm glad that I've never read it because of that. haha.

davidsal

Agent Spalko said:

Don´t think of it as the "Saucer Men script". Surely Lucas had some ideas and set pieces he wanted on Indy 4. Desert, Campus chase etc. I´m sure every script have those elements but in different settings. The Saucer Men story line is very different from what we know of Crystal skull. No Skull, no Spalko, no Mutt, no Mac, no Oxley etc.

SterankoII

"That many"? Well, who knows what that means.

Well, from the article it implies that Koepp put in hardly any references. The article also says he used stuff from all the drafts for the final script.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It sounds like the dialogue between Indy and Marion will retain it's flavour from Kasdan and Raiders, which is fantastic. (y) Overall, it sounds very promising.

Goodsport

The Man said:
Spalko sounds awfully cool, though.
To most Westerners, I wouldn't doubt it. :)
They wouldn't be able to get away with a Spanish or Mexican character, though - they'd need to give a pretty good explanation if that character's surname was Smith or Johnson. ;)
Matthew said:
I wonder if the Russians in the film will pronounce it spul-koh.
More likely spahl-koh.
Goodsport said:
They wouldn't be able to get away with that with a...
Oops, that's what I meant. ;)
-G

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Steven Awalt has read it too.
http://www.spielbergfilms.com/showpost.php?p=156848

And Moriarty comments at AICN:
I am telling you as someone who has read pretty much every draft of INDIANA JONES 4 since the early '90s... there never was a Shyamalan draft. The Darabont draft obviously exists, and much of it is still in the final CRYSTAL SKULL script, which is sort of a Frankenstein's monster of stuff by Lucas, Jeb Stuart, Darabont, and Koepp. ****, man, Koepp's not a screenwriter... he's a mad scientist.

Last edited: