The Tree of Life

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
while 'Destroyer of Worlds' sounds like Revelations...

Or Krishna...or arguably more relevantly, like J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Also, I wouldn't really expect Quest for the Covenant to be about Eden...more like a retread of some Mosaic territory (as suggested somewhere, as for the game, perhaps) or Abrahamic, although that makes less sense from an archaeological perspective. And of course then there's that other Ark...Noah had a covenant too.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Still unanswered: whose skull?
And, which kingdom? They must have had good reason to shoehorn that word into the title. Indy (and Ford) go to the Magic Kingdom, of course. But also Kingdom Plantae, and Kingdom Come? Or perhaps the Mormon Celestial Kingdom, after a trip to a Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall...

Pale Horse

Staff member
That's a grand question!!

Moedred said:
Still unanswered: whose skull? ..

pred_w_skull_03.jpg

Will all the alien rumors who knows?!? :eek:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
flemishskull115174.gif

How about: the Knights Templar find the crystalized skull of Adam on Golgotha in Jerusalem after the First Crusade. It gives them the edge in battles until they're dissolved 200 years later. They (or the Knights of Malta) sail under the skull and crossbones to all points scattering the powerful skulls they've acquired, finally to the Americas. This would make the skull an OOPArt (out-of-place artifact), like the grail. Though the story wouldn't follow the knights' footsteps as before, but the locals they gave the last skull to.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
0001p8z9

Okay, forget the skulls. Moving on to Indy 5...
Could the sword also be Wormwood or any other star from Revelation? At least in a character's "vivid imagination."

The Magic Rat

Moedred said:
0001p8z9

Okay, forget the skulls. Moving on to Indy 5...
Could the sword also be Wormwood or any other star from Revelation? At least in a character's "vivid imagination."

You know, that's pretty interesting.

KarmicCurse

Anyone interested in Tree Of Life mythology has to see the absolutely brilliant but very abstract Darren Aronofsky film "The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman. Even if you don't like the plot it has one of the greatest film scores of all time. And I do think it would have been a great Indy idea had I not seen it there.

Irfaan

It would be really cool if they based an Indiana Jones Movie/Book/Game/Comic/Whatever on the legend of Arthur and Excalibur, but as bob mentioned before I don't think it's as an important macguffin as the ark or the holy grail.

Still though, i would totally love the idea, maybe a book? Or a game where excalubur is part of the gameplay, imagine that! O.K, maybe i'm going a little too far lol...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A 10 year old morsel found between the cushions.
I think I know a guy who knows this "source"...
From what one of my sources tells me, Spielberg said Indy-4 would have another biblical theme to it. He then went on to say that the "powers that be" thought a story about the Garden of Eden would be a good plot. So far, a script is in the process of being finished up, but a long treatment does exist. It is about Indy and his quest for the Cherubim's Flaming Sword that protects the garden.
Apparently, from what my source tells me, early last year the big guys (Lucas and Spielberg) were in a teleconference and were discussing Indy IV. They were talking about the previous films and the point was brought up that Indy wouldn't be alive today because of his age. The thought struck them as depressing, because it's hard to imagine Indiana Jones as being an old guy. Then my source proceeded to tell me that Indy would be killed in the next film trying to save the world because it will be the last Indy film ever. They want him to go out with a bang.

Last edited:

michael

^^^If I went to see an Indiana Jones film, and he died in it. I would ball my eyes out in the theater, I'm sure of it.:(

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy yarn from long ago... ludicrous but has commonalities with Darabont's script.
Serious rumor in NY says Filming to begin in spring 99. Plot will be set in early 1950's, with Indy & dad running into escaped Nazis in South America while on vacation withn Indy's wife and kids. Indy realizes these nazis have located where the Garden of Eden is located, and there is a race to get there first to find the Tree of Life. Of course Indy runs into a talking serpent who intends on perpetuating the nazi cause for eternity! Indy enlists the help of several old friends along the way, and also encounters a yet to be famous Elvis. This episode will enable a segwaying into future Indy movies by aging Indy. Dad (Connery) dies at movies' end, declining to eat from the tree, instead opting for the great adventure of the afterlife. Filming will take place in Rio, Memphis, Morroco and Hanna (Maui-Eden). Target release date;12/99.
Gregory Peck has signed to do a very small cameo appearance as a bible historian consulted by Indy on a stop in Memphis, Tenn. en route to the middle east to look for the garden. Peck is an Indy fan who approached Spielberg & asked for a small part which will last 2-3 minutes.

Kingsley

Gregory Peck has signed to do a very small cameo appearance as a bible historian consulted by Indy on a stop in Memphis, Tenn. en route to the middle east to look for the garden. Peck is an Indy fan who approached Spielberg & asked for a small part which will last 2-3 minutes.
This and the Elvis part... what a vivid imagination :rolleyes:

From what one of my sources tells me, Spielberg said Indy-4 would have another biblical theme to it. He then went on to say that the "powers that be" thought a story about the Garden of Eden would be a good plot. So far, a script is in the process of being finished up, but a long treatment does exist. It is about Indy and his quest for the Cherubim's Flaming Sword that protects the garden.
Apparently, from what my source tells me, early last year the big guys (Lucas and Spielberg) were in a teleconference and were discussing Indy IV. They were talking about the previous films and the point was brought up that Indy wouldn't be alive today because of his age. The thought struck them as depressing, because it's hard to imagine Indiana Jones as being an old guy. Then my source proceeded to tell me that Indy would be killed in the next film trying to save the world because it will be the last Indy film ever. They want him to go out with a bang.

Serious rumor in NY says Filming to begin in spring 99. Plot will be set in early 1950's, with Indy & dad running into escaped Nazis in South America while on vacation withn Indy's wife and kids. Indy realizes these nazis have located where the Garden of Eden is located, and there is a race to get there first to find the Tree of Life. Of course Indy runs into a talking serpent who intends on perpetuating the nazi cause for eternity! Indy enlists the help of several old friends along the way, and also encounters a yet to be famous Elvis. This episode will enable a segwaying into future Indy movies by aging Indy. Dad (Connery) dies at movies' end, declining to eat from the tree, instead opting for the great adventure of the afterlife. Filming will take place in Rio, Memphis, Morroco and Hanna (Maui-Eden). Target release date;12/99.

The more I think of this, the more I get enraged...

You know, just read those two quotes above... THAT would have been one kick-as* of a movie!!!
The Tree of Life, the Garden of Eden, another dimension... THAT would have been the film we were hoping for!!!

There was a so great potential in that story line, so many possibilities to deliver a killer screenplay, with REAL adventure, REAL supernatural mystery, and NO b-movie parodies.

Coming to think of this... it's just frustrating...

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Stranger said:
There was a so great potential in that story line, so many possibilities to deliver a killer screenplay, with REAL adventure, REAL supernatural mystery, and NO b-movie parodies.

Coming to think of this... it's just frustrating...

I know exactly what you mean.

heybuddy

Using a 'Tree of Life' legend actually allows you the freedom to set the movie just about anywhere you want, anytime you want, with any villains, because Tree of Life legends exist in a dozen different cultures on every continent. I personally wanted to see them do a "South Sea Stories" type pulp dealing with a Polynesian tree of life in their version of Eden, Hawaiki. Instead of a lost garden, it's a lost island.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Heybuddy, you're right.

I even toyed with the idea of using the discovery of the DNA ladder in the 50's leading to Jacob ascending heaven. The 'tree of life being' the genetic code that makes us like God.

It's such a rich garden for a story. No pun intended....

Pale Horse said:
I know exactly what you mean.

Hey, Pale Horse, weren't you the one who managed to read the "Garden of Life" screenplay??? :confused:

Coming to think of it, just seeing that word "exactly" have made me curious. :D (y)

IndyFan89

bob said:
Let us look at the last Indy esque example of CGI - The Mummr Returns; whole environments were CGI it just looked really out of place. Even more so in an Indy film because the Indy films generally depend on interaction with his environment Indy is an earthy hero and does not belong in CGI Environments

Stole the words from my mouth.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled my first sketch card! White gouache, nice choice.
Tossed all the Indy 5 base cards. They're common, right?

s640x480

(Actually I'm just a supporter of the arts.)