Suggestions for the next Indiana Jones Game

Morning Bell

AlivePoet said:
Can you imagine if they announced, in the same vein as their announcement about Monkey Island, that LucasArts is remaking FoA AND developing a brand new point 'n' click Indy adventure game? (Not that FoA needs a remake, in my opinion; but it'd probably be the most likely marketing strategy.) I would have a party just to celebrate this. It would be almost as good as a fifth film announcement.

A new Indy point-and-click adventure would be amazing. I'd definitely be up for another one.:)

Lao_Che

Lambonius said:
There was a time when an Indiana Jones computer game meant real quality--unfortunately, Indy games today (thanks to SoK) have the stigma of being cheap, rushed movie tie-ins.

Of Staff of Kings' flaws, rushed isn't one of them.

Lambonius

Lao_Che said:
Of Staff of Kings' flaws, rushed isn't one of them.

Not in the sense that it took forever to come out since the game was announced, no. But in the sense that the product that was released is a buggy, unfinished mess, absolutely.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
My suggestion: Get Telltale on the job.

I certainly second that.

The one thing I enjoyed particularly about SoK was it's controls. It was easy for a novice like me. If the controls for the next game can be similar that would be great.

Emperor's Tomb was better at storytelling and the cut scenes did a decent job. If the next game would follow suit with Emperor's Tomb, that would be great. And even better, if the story can be at least nearly as good as FoA's. (I haven't played FoA so I can't really judge on game play).

As long as it's not the quality of IM, which sucked in my opinion in terms of game play particularly on PC and the amount of bugs (the story was fine though), I'll be happy.

DocWhiskey

Agreed. One thing I did like about SoK was the elimination (or maybe dumbed down version) of platforming. I have nothing against platforming, it's just that the IJ games do such a crappy job at it. Especially IM. I've never had such a terrible experience jumping to ledges and platforms. Such stiff controls. And ET was too loose and many times you'd over jump or lose footing in mid air(though I did like whipping in mid air). And in SoK you just press a button and Indy jumps/whips for you with a guarantee you land perfectly in the area in front of you. Which is refreshing for an IJ game, but a bit too easy.They need to find a middle ground.

If you take ET fighting, SoK platforming, FoA-like storytelling, and up the challenge/puzzles a bit (oh and decent graphics for christ's sake) you should have a solid Indiana Jones adventure game.

But that's just me.

Finn

Staff member
For IM's defense, I must say that it had great level design. Sizable, colorful and each holding their own distinct visual style. They truly gave you that sense of exploring. Too bad the controls were so damn shoddy.

DocWhiskey said:
If you take ET fighting, SoK platforming, FoA-like storytelling, and up the challenge/puzzles a bit (oh and decent graphics for christ's sake) you should have a solid Indiana Jones adventure game.
With fighting and platforming, it's something you shouldn't call an adventure game though. You know, just to avoid misunderstandings.

DocWhiskey

If they make the fighting more cinematic like the films, it shouldn't take away from the adventure experience. Like the warehouse escape in KOTCS? I'm sure they could've made a level play out like that beautifully on a next gen system. Kind of like that Jason Bourne game that came out last year or the Force Unleashed.

I know a lot of people rave about the Drake's Fortune game. Is it a heavy platformer? I know there's shooting sequences. Do those even things out well?

I mean, "adventure" games aren't just puzzles and walking from point A to point B. it's about exploration and you got to throw some action in there (FoA even had fist fights). Afterall, it is a video game. Adventure is justified by the locales, peril, exploration and of course the story. And the developers need to grasp that. Or at least kick it up a notch.

Last edited:
Give it the Rockstar treatment, like Red Dead Revolver. Well maybe more like it's upcoming sequel...Red Dead Redemption

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpTQQcgRxMo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jpTQQcgRxMo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Finn

Staff member
DocWhiskey said:
I mean, "adventure" games aren't just puzzles and walking from point A to point B.
Actually, that's exactly what adventure games are about, if we go by strict genre definition. Of course, if we understand word "adventure" in a more loose vein, then the description is naturally apt. Like I pointed out in my previous message, I was simply making the the distinction.

I wouldn't mind the next Indy game having some serious puzzle-solving with appropiate action elements thrown in. I wouldn't just call it an adventure game.

Johnny Nys

Yes, a true Indiana Jones game should combine these elements. But like with everything it's mostly trial and error; you might have a good idea but then who's to say it's still good after it's been developed? Or if others will receive it well.

Since I prefer the classic adventure games over the "Tomb Raider" varieties, I'm leaning towards some kind of 3D adventure game environment, kind of what they did with "Gabriel Knight 3", but with much bigger maps, something similar to a GTA kind of freedom of exploration. Not one huge map, but big enough and different ones for each location/level/chapter in the storyline.

The tricky part really is how to integrate the action/combat elements. I haven't played that many different types of games, so I can only suggest what I know. I've always enjoyed the "Silent Hill" exploration gameplay, though the combat of those games isn't all that great (I'm talking of the games up to "Origins", since "Homecoming" is PS3 and I don't have that). I kinda like the combat and hot key system of "Staff of Kings", it's just a bit chaotic in that game but with the right people on the job I think it can be perfected.

I'm also thinking of some kind of co-op mode INSIDE the main storyline. They did that for the "Obscure" games: if you played alone, the AI would control the second character, but with a simple push of a button, another player can take over the task. Could be interesting if those second characters have their own specialties. Kind of like with the Lego game, but more seriously implemented.

I don't know, I'm just brainstorming. In the end it would just be a cool extra, at least cool if it was worked out decently, but not strictly necessary. After all, I always play games by myself and I think many people do that as well. But I'm not one to call majorities or anything.

And a bit off-topic, but does anyone else hate that many game catalogues and databases group their titles together under action/adventure? Like on eBay, when I want to look for adventure games specifically, I always have to wade through countless of other type of games. Sure, they might have adventure "elements", but they aren't "adventure games".

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
STOP ****ING SPAMMING.
He just did. For a week.

Next time one of you decides to try something similar, at least try to be less obvious about it and don't stop at one hundred...

Gear

Thous amuseth

latestspace4_god_at_his_computer.jpg

'The next Indy game'? How about bosses who fit more within the realms of the Indyverse. (ex. As opposed to Frankenstein and the Kraken in ET chapters 2 and 3.) I have no problem with Veiled Beings, but do you buy that Indy encountered the Istanbul Sea Monster and it didn't even ask him for... 'treefidie'?

Is it required by the divine gods of pixels that platform games must include such things at the end of each level regardless of the genre?