Saddam hangs

Mickiana said:
Then we are all opining from insulated thrones, unless we are directly affected by atrocities somewhere. But, I don't agree with that. Apparently Saddam was propped up by US money. Apparently the CIA loved him until he got out of control. Apparently they didn't care about his atrocities (better word than horrible) until they couldn't control him. Shouldn't these f*****g *****s be offed as well?

There is always going to be monsters. We would virtually need an ongoing program of elimination as one takes another's place. You'd at least end up becoming a total monster yourself, if not, having to start as one. Not executing a monstrous criminal doesn't mean you agree with them, it just means you are not going to become like them.

If I sound like I underestimate Saddam, please don't see that. There are no words for what he did. But there are a lot of Saddams in the world. Always was, always will be. I don't know what the solution is. I don't know if more killing is a solution. And legal differentiations are just that: killing, murder, execution. It's all the removal of life.

Saddam's execution was not frivolous at all. It had great intent behind it. It's this intent that I am discussing. I tell you right now, if someone hurt or killed someone close to me, you'd have to lock me down. I recognise this impulse in myself. But I also recognise a feeling (which may be seen as an opinion) that it would be a hollow, meaningless act that does not help anything, but probably makes things worse.
I think we understand and agree about many things. It seems that you're just talking about the emotional element and I contend there more to it than that, which my question regarding Elba alludes to...

Did exile to Elba stop Napoleon?

Mickiana

I am trying to plumb the emotional element and go beyond that if possible. I think emotions, though, can be the problem. I'm trying to reach a state of logic. I theorise there is an absolute state of logic to achieve. To pull back from the emotional response to things is a first step. This means putting off making a decision until clearer perspective can be achieved. Of course all of this can only be judged by the person undergoing it. This cannot be forced from the outside.

As for Napolean, I will have to brush up on my history. If you mean, did exile change him, then I would say "no", but I don't expect incarceration or exile to change anyone. If someone changes, it's because they start to seriously review themselves looking deep within. Exile or prison could be a trigger, but someone has to let it be. This world should be trigger enough for all of us to look within. Sorry to get so metaphysical. To me, everything leads to this.

kongisking

I want to shake your hand, Mickiana. But since you're in the Land Down Under and I'm in the States, let's just pretend I am, instead. :hat:

Mickiana

Cheers. Thanks for the gesture. I very much enjoy contentious view points as they make me think more thoroughly about what it is I am trying to say. I'm trying to avoid making some type of absolute statement of truth, although I end up doing that, in a bid to find an answer, but I think the most important thing is to keep posing the question, no matter what the question. If someone says, "It's good to execute such and such" I am going to ask "Why do you think that?" Is there an alternative action we can take instead, because if there is, it is because we created alternative thinking. Alternative thinking means there was a change within us and change means we learn. Deciding that drastic, base action like execution is suitable means that we have stopped at some early point in what our consciousness could be. If we want the manifest world to reflect our thinking, our consciousness, then we might start with reflecting upon ourselves and our motivations.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
Cheers. Thanks for the gesture. I very much enjoy contentious view points as they make me think more thoroughly about what it is I am trying to say. I'm trying to avoid making some type of absolute statement of truth, although I end up doing that, in a bid to find an answer, but I think the most important thing is to keep posing the question, no matter what the question. If someone says, "It's good to execute such and such" I am going to ask "Why do you think that?" Is there an alternative action we can take instead, because if there is, it is because we created alternative thinking. Alternative thinking means there was a change within us and change means we learn. Deciding that drastic, base action like execution is suitable means that we have stopped at some early point in what our consciousness could be. If we want the manifest world to reflect our thinking, our consciousness, then we might start with reflecting upon ourselves and our motivations.

You should teach philosophy, 'cause you're absolutely right. :D

JRJENNINGS86

Nurhachi1991 said:
Did you guys tape it?

no. I am not one for enjoying death. the lives i've taken were out of nessesity for the survival of my men. I consider videos and collecting items from kills imoral. Life is a precious thing in my mind. It saddens me when other troops keep "trophies" of war deaths for themselves. the only things i have kept are gifts from the locals, items i bought, and alot of hard memories.