Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Very cool, JJ. Colour me intrigued!

Just as a precursor, before you reveal your storyboarded memories...I'd like to share some tidbits...

Did you know that a scene was planned in TOD where Willie was to fall off the elephant into the water, be attacked by a 12ft python and then have Indy save her?

For the scene, animal handlers had brought over a 12ft python that was to be waiting in the water. The scene was planned as above but unfortunately,
after waiting 12hrs, the water was too stagnate to allow Harrison Ford to go in so the scene was abandoned.

Accompanying this is the campfire scene but originally it did not include the throwing of the snake, scripted or planned.  Whilst filming the scene Steven Spielberg has noticed the Elephant was playfully pushing Kate Capshaw with his trunk. He then rewrote/reshot the scene, taking about 10mins to include the gag of Willie throwing the snake with indiana's re-action. The snake got it's scene.

Who say's you can't learn something new!

...there were 3 monkeys used in Raiders for the Nazi Monkey - Huff, Puff and Snuff. Huff did the salute....

...more to come.

"do you like our owl?"

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JuniorJones said:
Did you know that a scene was planned in TOD where Willie was to fall off the elephant into the water, be attacked by a 12ft python and then have Indy save her?

For the scene, animal handlers had brought over a 12ft python that was to be waiting in the water. The scene was planned as above but unfortunately,
after waiting 12hrs, the water was too stagnant to allow Harrison Ford to go in so*the scene was abandoned.

Hmm. I've never heard this variant on the "Willie bathing" scene before. Where'd you hear about it from?

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Hmm. I've never heard this variant on the "Willie bathing" scene before. Where'd you hear about it from?

I've heard it, and I think I've seen it in a comic book adaptation. (Though that last memory may be a false one, until I dig out my digital copies).

EDIT:

Found them in the Marvel Super Special Temple of Doom Adaptation:

MarvelSuperSpecial030-19.jpg

MarvelSuperSpecial030-20.jpg

Or did I misread everything above?

Probably.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member

From a guy that was there!:D Yes, the comic has a cut bathing scene, a couple of pages worth.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Or did I misread everything above?

Just a little bit. I knew about this version of the scene. It's Willie falling of the elephant as the lead-in to the snake rescue that was news to me.

JuniorJones said:
From a guy that was there!

Well, that's hard to argue with! I guess he wasn't on the Ford Tri-Motor set, then?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Well, that's hard to argue with! I guess he wasn't on the Ford Tri-Motor set, then?

This wasn't the guy on the Ford Tri-Motor set...Don't worry, hopefully, this will lead to an egg-splosion!!

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:

after waiting 12hrs, the water was too stagnate to allow Harrison Ford to go in so*the scene was abandoned.

I won't say you're wrong, but I've read and heard these as seperate anecdotes.

Theres the story about using fresh water in a man made puddle, (for Wendy/Kate) because of septic water contamination dangers at the filming location. Robert Watts and Frank Marshall both relay this story.

Capshaw herself tells of how she was surprised to find out about the scene during filming because she hadn't read the script...one of many problems her failure to read/invest in the project cost the production, (in dollars, content and spirit).

I produced a seven part retrospective on the making of including some nice clips, (one or two rarities too!) the pertinent episode which you can hear here:

IndyCast: Episode 109

...about 35 minutes in. They really railed into Allison Doody regarding the rats and such because of the difficulties Capshaw presented on set.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I won't say you're wrong, but I've read and heard these as seperate anecdotes...

Different people, different views. All vaild, until proven otherwise. I guess that's why were here.

JuniorJones said:
Different people, different views. All vaild, until proven otherwise. I guess that's why were here.

Like Tom Sherak wrote off the multiple Cairo Swordman Gunfight daddys:

"Welcome to Hollywood."

I just want to throw it out there that Capshaw killed the scene, because I detest her so...:D

Stoo

Stoo said:
If he wrangled the spider in "Crusade" then he has insight into that deleted scene. Be sure to post any additional info in either of these threads:

Deleted Scenes
LC Word of God deleted scene
JuniorJones said:
Just as a precursor, before you reveal your storyboarded memories...I'd like to share some tidbits...
Somebody call the Thread Police! This topic is about chickens & eggs so the Willie/snake scene discussion belongs in the general Deleted Scenes thread, dammit!:p:whip:

...and now...back to the egg:

This past Tuesday & Wednesday, Paul McCartney played 2 shows in Montreal but he didn't do any songs from "Back to the Egg"!:( However, yesterday, I made a 2nd visit to the National Geographic Indiana Jones Exhibition in Montreal and the egg prop was there in all its elliptical glory.:p:p:p Got some photos of it, too!;)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Somebody call the Thread Police! This topic is about chickens & eggs so the Willie/snake scene discussion belongs in the general deleted scene thread

I'm on thread, simply establishing a credible source, if and when, I'm able to lay this thread to rest.

Stoo

National Geographic Indiana Jones Exhibition

EGG in the National Geographic Indiana Jones Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition.
2011 June 28 - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Exhibit_Egg_01.jpg

Daley

Stoo said:
EGG in the National Geographic Indiana Jones Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition.
2011 June 28 - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

...Photoshop? Something about this pic is scrambling my brain - it's not real, right?

Henry W Jones

Stoo, I googled DEUF and got nothing Indy related. As far as Indy goes what does it mean? Also this display didn't have a plaque saying anything about the egg being from a TOD cut scene? Are you saying that is an almost 30 year old egg? That display must stink. Literally.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
Stoo, I googled DEUF and got nothing Indy related. As far as Indy goes what does it mean? Also this display didn't have a plaque saying anything about the egg being from a TOD cut scene? Are you saying that is an almost 30 year old egg? That display must stink. Literally.

Henry, It was "OUEF", which is French - and, hence, French Canadian - for "EGG."

But, yes, I'm curious about whether Stoo's putting us on. (Or, perhaps, merely why there's an egg at the exhibit.)