Blu-ray wish list

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
We already have a Blu-ray thread, though you may recall we used to have an entire Indy DVD forum. Odds are 2012 will bring the most requested movie discs after Song of the South. They held back plenty from the 2003 and 2008 releases, and although we may be jaded in our expectations of an "ultimate" release, we can list (again) what we hope to see.

Spielberg is not forthcoming with commentaries or deleted scenes; the Jurassic "ultimate trilogy" contains exactly two, from Lost World, not even the polished versions from the network broadcast. He was generous however with storyboards, animatics, and original featurettes, which we may hope to see from Raiders, Doom and Crusade (the two PBS specials topping the list, I'd also love to see the Disney ride videos and featurettes with John Rhys-Davies). Lucas is more generous with deleted scenes, so hopefully some of these will emerge.

Lucas's has a proven business model: re-release for home video every 4 or 5 years until the end of time. For Star Wars he has 2 angles to play for 2016: 3D or a remastered original trilogy (maybe if the National Film Registry lists Jedi). Who knows what they're holding back for Indy 2017, if anything. Streisand and the blooper reels, maybe 2035. :)

Stoo

Moedred, ANY of the above would be nice but since this is a "wish" thread, here are some more ideas:

- As many TV promo commercials as possible. From ALL countries.
- Might as well throw in all the Kenner toy commercials, too.
- All the filming locations pointed out with the red line/classic Indy map (as was done in the teaser trailer for "Temple of Doom") but in chronological order.

(If the Streisand bit ever sees a legitimate release within the near future, it will probably be an edited version.)

HJTHX1138

I know it's sort of an old-school type of special feature, but as long as we are wishing a "Concept Art" gallery would be nice.

There should be a whole disc with just merchandise specials: Toy commercials, Theme park openings/behind the scenes, t.v ads, videogame retrospectives, the works.

Stoo

HJTHX1138 said:
I know it's sort of an old-school type of special feature, but as long as we are wishing a "Concept Art" gallery would be nice.
Showing concept art is not an "old school" feature. It's normal.
HJTHX1138 said:
There should be a whole disc with just merchandise specials: Toy commercials, Theme park openings/behind the scenes, t.v ads, videogame retrospectives, the works.
In your hypothetical "wish list", the video game retrospective would have to be limited to the games which dealt with the original trilogy.

Do you actually believe that, "behind the scenes", should belong on a DVD of "merchandise specials"?:confused:

Indy's brother

How cool would it be to have some featurettes narrated by Ford, in character, and in full Indy regalia. Having Indy himself walk us through some history of relics, footnotes on his adventures, etc would be awesome.

Crack that whip

While presumably it wouldn't happen with all such items, an obvious starting point would be all the supplements from the previous releases. That would include all the supplements found on the 2003 and 2008 DVD releases of the 'trilogy' (perhaps some of the Crystal Skull supplements as well - KotCS trailers, if nothing else, since ideally all the trailers would be together - I wouldn't mind duplicating these in all three original movies' supplements sections if they're released individually), as well as perhaps some of the promo spots and whatnot from previous video releases (the classic Temple of Doom spot from the early Raiders releases, the Young Indy spot, perhaps even the Diet Coke promo from the original Last Crusade release if it doesn't step on some promotional partner's toes for the new release). It'd also be a great opportunity to finally release the vintage Raiders exhibitor featurette (originally released with the '03 set as a Best Buy exclusive) as a non-exclusive.

Of course, not all the supplements might themselves be in high-def, but a lot of them could be, and obviously anything originating on film could be.

Moedred said:
Spielberg is not forthcoming with commentaries or deleted scenes; the Jurassic "ultimate trilogy" contains exactly two, from Lost World, not even the polished versions from the network broadcast.

Indeed, but it does have those, and there have also been deleted scenes included with releases of Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so even as just Spielberg movie releases, deleted scenes aren't without precedent; moreover, these are also Lucas(film) productions, and Lucas has also released deleted scenes... sometimes. It could go either way, really. Certainly if they aren't included in the initial release of the first three movies, there might well be some new "ultimate" release of all four (five?) movies together someday, and deleted scenes would likely be trotted out then as a fresh reason to buy the latest edition (cynics would suggest they'll intentionally be held back from the first release for just that purpose, but that might or might not be a factor).

Indy's brother said:
How cool would it be to have some featurettes narrated by Ford, in character, and in full Indy regalia. Having Indy himself walk us through some history of relics, footnotes on his adventures, etc would be awesome.

I'd actually thought it would be neat to shoot a mock "classroom lecture" just for some Indy video release. I'm sure Harrison wouldn't do it, but just as a total pipe dream, I thought it'd be neat if they had him in character as Indy go through an entire lecture, using real info presented like a real archaeology class lecture, perhaps even complete with young extras in period clothes acting as his students, asking questions, etc., and it'd be a full hour or two - essentially a whole additional movie, just set in a room, as though someone brought a camera to one of Indy's classes. I know it'd never happen, but it's a fantasy of mine. ;)

Udvarnoky

Aren't we still without the complete Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark TV special on DVD? There are also supposed to be untold hours of footage taken from the set of all the films that were cherry-picked from for the 2003 docs.

My wish list definitely includes the deleted scenes and the blooper reel. I would also like PDFs of all the unused screenplays tossed onto one of the discs. Not just the Indy4 ones, although they'd surely be the most interesting. Didn't Diane Thomas supposedly turn in a first draft of the haunted house Indy3 before dying?

HJTHX1138

Stoo said:
In your hypothetical "wish list", the video game retrospective would have to be limited to the games which dealt with the original trilogy.

Do you actually believe that, "behind the scenes", should belong on a DVD of "merchandise specials"?:confused:

In regards to theme park related behind the scenes stuff, yes.

The idea was to have a whole disc with nothing but the merchandise and acknowledgement of the "further" adventures.

indyclone25

Stoo said:

they did show artwork on the individual movie releases on dvd in 2008... along with the woman of indy on the last crusade dvd. each " special edition'' dvd had something new not seen in the dvd collection in 2003. so hopefully they will release more on the blu ray ,
my wish list are the makings of .... raiders and great movie stunts , temple of doom , and great adventurers and their quest ,
and hopefully we will see deleted scenes , more artwork , music score . but i hope as a gear head i hope they talk about the clothes .:D