Indiana Jones: Read Along Adventures

lao che & sons

I recently picked up a Raiders of the lost ark Read along adventure that has never been opened. I am now thinking about buying a temple of doom one that has never been opened off of ebay. Does anyone have these items too and do you think it would be worth opening. Or should I keep it sealed and not bother with the temple of doom one? Any suggestions? aalso when were they produced? and how rare are they?

lao che & sons said:
I recently picked up a Raiders of the lost ark Read along adventure that has never been opened. I am now thinking about buying a temple of doom one that has never been opened off of ebay. Does anyone have these items too and do you think it would be worth opening. Or should I keep it sealed and not bother with the temple of doom one? Any suggestions? aalso when were they produced? and how rare are they?

I remember eBay flooded with that stuff, people were unloading. You should buy it if it's something you prize...I wouldn't consider them an investment.

Billy Ray

I've actually got two of the Raiders Read Along adventures. Don't remember eve having it as a kid, but I found one in some old records that my wife had and then found another in a drawer full of my old stuff. I also have all of the Star Wars ones and found some old Planet of the Apes ones from when I was very little. I have very fond memories of those Planet of the Apes ones and was pretty happy to find them after all these years.

indyclone25

Billy Ray said:
I've actually got two of the Raiders Read Along adventures. Don't remember eve having it as a kid, but I found one in some old records that my wife had and then found another in a drawer full of my old stuff. I also have all of the Star Wars ones and found some old Planet of the Apes ones from when I was very little. I have very fond memories of those Planet of the Apes ones and was pretty happy to find them after all these years.
oh man i had the planet of the ape series too i had had all of them --- and they were actually pretty well done audio stories too-- i had the marvel records and comics too---- spiderman and fantastic four --- ah the good ole days .

Henry W Jones

Read Along Books Buena Vista

A few years back I bought the Buena Vista Read Along Books for Indiana Jones and Star Wars sealed and haven't had the heart to open them. I love these as a child. I found down loadable flash player versions today here's a link to them and many other. Brought back a lot of memories and I'll be able to share with my children soon.

http://www.readalongadventures.com/list.htm

Enjoy ;)

Henry W Jones

JuniorJones said:
Collectors that don't understand their real value.

I understand there true value. I have opened figures that have been sealed for 30 years so i could have them in hand but I don't have a easy way to play these items and would like to keep them in first class condition if I can have a digital copy that won't wear over time. I have opened thousands upon thousands of dollars in Indy and Star Wars items so I can have them in hand. I used to buy in two's for re-sale now I buy strictly for personal enjoyment.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Henry W Jones said:
I understand there true value. I have opened figures that have been sealed for 30 years so i could have them in hand but I don't have a easy way to play these items and would like to keep them in first class condition if I can have a digital copy that won't wear over time. I have opened thousands upon thousands of dollars in Indy and Star Wars items so I can have them in hand. I used to buy in two's for re-sale now I buy strictly for personal enjoyment.

I was responding to Stoo rather than commenting on your post.

As far as I am concerned the value comes from the pleasure of an item and the emotional connection you have with it.

In my view, if you see it in purely monetary terms you are not a collector, you are a speculator and the lowest of the low within the collector market simply because of the adverse effect it has including depriving people on lower incomes the opportunity to own such items.

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
In my view, if you see it in purely monetary terms you are not a collector, you are a speculator and the lowest of the low within the collector market simply because of the adverse effect it has including depriving people on lower incomes the opportunity to own such items.
The more things become available on the internet for free*, the less people may seem to care about owning the physical items. The times, they are a-changin'.

*Something both you & I are both guilty of contributing to.:eek:

This reminds me that I have the "Doom" read-along cassette & book but it's buried somewhere in storage. Must try and find it to put on my Indy shelf!

Henry W Jones

H
Stoo said:
The more things become available on the internet for free*, the less people may seem to care about owning the physical items. The times, they are a-changin'

*Something both you & I are both guilty of contributing to.:eek:

This reminds me that I have the "Doom" read-along cassette & book but it's buried somewhere in storage. Must try and find it to put on my Indy shelf!

I actually own physical items and would still have purchased them even if I had found the digital verions first. Tapes and records are the format these came on and both forms of media tend to be easy to ruin. If they were cd or mp3 (both media forms easy to find for use in 2009 when I re purchased) I would have opened them the day I got them. I have picture disc I bought from Star Wars and Jedi I opened to display on wall so its not resale it preserving more than anything. If a item has a reason to be open as a true fan it should. I opened a AFA Belloq figure I paid 70 for so I could set it up with my other figures

indyclone25

i collect all my indy items not for them to make money but for me to see and and admire . my wife is always saying sell them but , right now is not the time and i wouldnt sell them anyways . my son gets all tof my indy and star wars collection when im gone .:D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
The more things become available on the internet for free*, the less people may seem to care about owning the physical items. The times, they are a-changin'.

They most certainly are.

There will still be a market for owning the original material but digital archiving will level the field.

*Something both you & I are both guilty of contributing to.:eek:![/QUOTE]

...me? Not, guilty m'lord!!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
indyclone25 said:
i collect all my indy items not for them to make money but for me to see and and admire . my wife is always saying sell them but , right now is not the time and i wouldnt sell them anyways . my son gets all tof my indy and star wars collection when im gone .:D

A fan in the truest form. That's the way it should be. Pass it down or get buried with it.

When I go down, I'm going down with my much loved copy of Green Lantern/Green Arrow issue 76. No, really!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
skullaudio.jpg

Such an interesting discovery by JuniorJones. It's not a movie on record, and not an abridged audio book. It's an unnamed English fellow reading the story for English Language Teaching purposes. The illegible sticker says "with CD," probably about 30-40 minutes long.

sound recording adapted by Jane Revell
London, Scholastic, 2008
64 pages + 1 sound disc (CD)
Scholastic ELT readers
Edit: Free samples and resources!

Last edited:

HenryJunior

That MP3 of Raiders is fantastic! Different voice actors but they work pretty well. I'm glad the read along got the actual soundtrack and sound effects to go with it instead of some generic stock music :D .