View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #88
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Am I the only one to think that Ana De Armas has the age and looks to play Deckard and Rachael's daughter?
Can replicants have offspring???? Intriguing...
OK, I’ve been doing a bit of thinking about this, and it’s time for some serious speculation.

The original BR movie is replete with quasi-philosophical and quasi-theological questions (most of them only hinted at and not explicitly stated), based on the relationship between humans and replicants.

Villeneuve is a self-confessed BR geek, and surely his sequel will seek to tap into that aspect in a meaningful way.
Also, the script for BR2 was co-written by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green, so it’s reasonable to expect some thematic consistency.

Now, considering that
Quote:
Eldon Tyrell
More human than human is our motto.
and
Quote:
Roy Batty
We are not computers, Sebastian, we are physical.

I believe that addressing the question of the replicants’ ability to procreate would be the perfect springboard for a BR sequel, not just to achieve thematic continuity, but also because it moves the story forward.

Blade Runner was released in 1982, with its story set in 2019.
We know that BR2 will be released in October 2017 and set “some years after the original movie”.
For it to feel as futuristic as the original, removed enough from the present, and to account for Harrison Ford's age, the main story has to take place no earlier than 2050.

Let’s take a look at the two actresses who were just cast for the sequel.
Ana De Armas is 27 years old and physically reminiscent of Rachael: long dark hair, striking eyes, vulnerable look.
Sylvia Hoeks is 32 years old, Dutch and very Aryan-looking, her face possesses great strength and a certain degree of coldness.

Can you see it yet?

I am going to go out on a massive limb here and suggest that in all likelihood De Armas was cast to play Deckard and Rachael’s daughter, and that quite possibly Hoeks’ character will be revealed to be Roy Batty and Pris’ offspring.

This would fit well with their age difference, as the first character would have been conceived in or after 2019, while Batty and Pris’ daughter could only have been born before the events of the original movie.

What are your thoughts? Any more Blade Runner fans here at the Raven, willing to speculate?
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote