• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Drones33

Here it is. Plus a few pics to show the comparison with my old favourite, custom LC in copper novapelle, which has been worn pretty consistently for about a year.

raider_1_by_00177840-da1qf0w.jpg

raider2_by_00177840-da1qhtl.jpg

indy_jacket_comparison_by_00177840-da1qglz.jpg

indy_jacket_comparison_2_by_00177840-da1qggt.jpg

indy_jacket_comparison3_by_00177840-da1qgjo.jpg

Major West

Turned out well. Looks great! (y)

Seeing the jackets side by side like that makes the Raiders look even more correct in colour terms. Of course after a few rain showers it will dull down and get a bit darker still. Have you put anything on it are are you planning to leave it as is? I just left mine as is, for the time being.

That Last Crusade jacket is really showing some good wear. Looks excellent. Still tempted to get a Novapelle Crusade jacket at some point, especially after reading the latest Wested Blog (and seeing your jacket there). I might wait to see what the Hero Crusade jacket is like before diving in though.

Drones33

Major West said:
Turned out well. Looks great! (y)

Seeing the jackets side by side like that makes the Raiders look even more correct in colour terms. Of course after a few rain showers it will dull down and get a bit darker still. Have you put anything on it are are you planning to leave it as is? I just left mine as is, for the time being.

That Last Crusade jacket is really showing some good wear. Looks excellent. Still tempted to get a Novapelle Crusade jacket at some point, especially after reading the latest Wested Blog (and seeing your jacket there). I might wait to see what the Hero Crusade jacket is like before diving in though.

Thanks Major, yeah the colour is spot on I think. I'm going to leave it just as is and let it weather naturally, I do intend to give it a quick soak with the shower on my next day off, then wearing it until it's dry, but that's all.
I'm very pleased with how my LC is ageing, novapelle was a good choice for a Crusade I think. It has a great texture and drape. I'm curious to see what the LC Hero will be like.

Glenville86

Received it awhile back. Good quality jacket. I like the fit better than the BK. To be honest, I am not really big on the off the collar fit of the Wested Hero and BK. I have the US Wings, BK and S&J SL Jackets. The US Wings is a dark brown and heavy leather. BK uses the best SL leather.

Major West

I was watching some of the extra features an the Blu-ray Indy set. Interesting to see pics of the jacket(s) in outtakes and deleted scenes.
Click for larger:

Also in some of the footage it looks like you can see distressing on the jacket(s) that doesn't always show up in the film.

Jedi Jones

Major West said:
I was watching some of the extra features an the Blu-ray Indy set. Interesting to see pics of the jacket(s) in outtakes and deleted scenes.
Click for larger:

Also in some of the footage it looks like you can see distressing on the jacket(s) that doesn't always show up in the film.

Major Jones--thank you for posting these images!

Based on the photos, it looks to me like Indy's zipper was indeed silver in at least some of the earlier scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark (e.g., the bar sequence), in addition to its being silver in later scenes, as you or others have mentioned in helpful prior posts.

Is there any evidence that the silver zipper was an intentional design choice for the Raiders jacket? If I recall correctly, there was a post earlier in this thread suggesting that the zipper was silver in scenes because the brass or copper paint had worn off during the filming--so the silver was an accidental occurrence rather than an intentional design choice. But couldn't the designers have easily just gotten a brass/copper zipper rather than go through the trouble of painting in brass/copper the zippers of the multiple jackets used during the filming of ROTLA? Is it possible that the jacket designer and the filmmakers thought that the contrast between a dark jacket and a silver zipper was aesthetically interesting on film, just as some of us on this forum believe?

Based on the photos I've seen in this thread of yours and Drone 33's custom Raiders jacket in authentic brown lambskin, it appears that there's an aesthetic case to be made for brown jacket with silver zipper--and that there's no hard-and-fast fashion rule that a brown jacket needs a brown-ish zipper. What do you think?

Major West

Jedi Jones said:
But couldn't the designers have easily just gotten a brass/copper zipper rather than go through the trouble of painting in brass/copper the zippers of the multiple jackets used during the filming of ROTLA?

Painting the zipper brass would have been at the last minute probably on set when time is precious and delaying shooting costs a lot of money. A lot of changes or fixes on movies happen at the time when cameras have started rolling and the director wants to make a change any particular reason.

Is it possible that the jacket designer and the filmmakers thought that the contrast between a dark jacket and a silver zipper was aesthetically interesting on film, just as some of us on this forum believe?

I doubt it, probably a lighting issue when filming or something. There's a lot of history on the net about the jackets and how they were made very quickly at the last hour for ROTLA. There's an exhaustive amount of observation and speculation about the jackets on various Indy websites and forums. Plenty of reading material.

The best thing is go to the source. The movies themselves. Get hold of the High Definition 1080P films which now allow us to see much more detail in the jackets. Study them and make your own conclusions is my advice.

Major West

Out wearing the Temple of Doom jacket. I had the camera filter set to 'fridge' so color reproduction isn't accurate, but it's the same Authentic Brown Lambskin as my recent Raiders jacket.

To_D_Jacket.jpg

Major West

It's without inner facings. Just the jacket with no special requests. I recommend ordering your sleeve length at least half an inch less on this jacket, otherwise they will be too long, because as you can see the shoulder overhangs. 23.5 on this. 24 on the Raiders.

Major West

Picture of me wearing the jackets.
The two left panels are Temple of Doom. The two right panels are my recent Raiders custom jacket.

22bdbd80-e345-419a-97fc-b50d5bb18e8f_zpsss7rcywj.jpg

Drones33

Major West said:
It's without inner facings. Just the jacket with no special requests. I recommend ordering your sleeve length at least half an inch less on this jacket, otherwise they will be too long, because as you can see the shoulder overhangs. 23.5 on this. 24 on the Raiders.
That's interesting. I hadn't realised the shoulder overhangs so much on Wested's TOD. Quite slouchy, I like it. Do you think that's happening as the lambskin softens and begins to conform to your shape, or were they like that to begin with?

Major West

Drones33 said:
That's interesting. I hadn't realised the shoulder overhangs so much on Wested's TOD. Quite slouchy, I like it. Do you think that's happening as the lambskin softens and begins to conform to your shape, or were they like that to begin with?

It's just the way the jacket pattern is. The ToD jacket is an exact pattern copy of a ToD film jacket that was loaned to Wested by the estate of Noel Howard. Since the ToD was allegedly based on a Jacket from the first film I presume the overall fitting of that jacket (for Harrison Ford) stayed the same. The slouching shoulder is a feature of the Hero Raiders jacket, I understand.

Last edited:

Glenville86

If you order a Wested ToD Jacket, do you just use your regular order size? I noticed on their site, the jackets are only listed up to 46. Their size chart for the ToD shows larger sizes. I see the recommendation to order the sleeves 1/2 inch shorter.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
If you order a Wested ToD Jacket, do you just use your regular order size? I noticed on their site, the jackets are only listed up to 46. Their size chart for the ToD shows larger sizes. I see the recommendation to order the sleeves 1/2 inch shorter.

I ordered my usual chest size,42, and it fits but it's not a relaxed fit like the same chest size in the standard Raiders size. It's a bit snug, not uncomfortable but you notice the difference. The description of the jacket on the site says it's the most tailored of the jackets. Just be aware that it's meant to be like that.

It's probably the least practical of the jackets though. The outer side pockets are much smaller and if you have big hands they might not fit in the side warmers. Unless you love the ToD jacket, I'd avoid. Unfortunately it was my favourite of the film jackets. :D I like them all now, but originally it was.

Major West

Just to add to what I was saying, if you're a bigger guy than me and ordering something like 46"+ then pockets etc. get scaled up, so being small etc, becomes less of an issue perhaps.