Ark burns US warehouse crate?

00Kevin

Indyfan
sheesh, if only GL hadn't come up with the Idea of a symbol burning away...

this is pretty interesting, It would be cool if it remainded. Can anyone put a 5 second clip of it on the web?

00Kevin

Indyfan
forget missing raiders scene, mission ravener! nice having you back old.....guy I never knew

Moedred said:
I highly doubt this, Aaron H. God burns an American flag in some version of one of the biggest films of all time, and no critic or commentator ever notices? The burden of proof rests on the few who claim to have seen this. Let's have a link to any video, picture, description or mention of the scene outside of this thread. Anyone?

If the scene is on mass-marketed VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, or DVD somewhere in the world, this should be easy. I've googled and found nothing. How about a link to the Amazon.com DVD comment that started this rumor?

It's not in the novelization. It's not in Kasdan's script. Perhaps only "TOP SECRET - ARMY INTEL. #9906753 - DO NOT OPEN!" burns away? I showed a 35mm print of Raiders at my university cinema recently... it's not there (I'm aware it could have been a rerelease print).

Help he out here, folks. I'm searching for the facts. Not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Doctor Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall.

clever, I agree that we need proof here, but this is something that I'm not going to disregard, it would be very cool if true and I think it may very well be, all these raveners saying they've seen it.

(no, i'm not anti US, just like the God above government fact)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Joining 3 1/2 years ago makes me an old timer... that's cool. :)

It's not just the lack of evidence that makes me skeptical. Those who claim to have seen the American crate burn cannot agree what exactly burns (words? logo(s)? both? on one, two, or four sides?) or where this fits into the final sequence we know. Does the warehouseman leave a trail or smoke going down the aisle, or what?

I've heard this sort of thing from Aussies before, that Americans are too easily offended to witness certain scenes (such as the rumored duck beheading in 'Babe,' or slangy 'Crocodile Dundee' in-jokes at our expense). And it always comes down to "I've seen it, you haven't, you wouldn't understand" ...like a fifth grader explaining sex-ed to a third grader.

I predict we'll fall back on wondering if this scene was shot and included in test screenings, until someone prods Lucas or ILM for an official response.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Its been a long time since I saw the footage...so pardon me for not remembering if it was a logo or just words. I do not have a clip of the scene, I do not know where to find one, and I will not say where I saw it.

The dramatic scene where the warehouseman wheels it down the aisle and the credits roll is where the scene is. Right before it goes to black we see a final shot of the crate, just like on the Bantu Wind, and the logo/words/etc burn away.

Last edited:

00Kevin

Indyfan
Moedred said:
Joining 3 1/2 years ago makes me an old timer... that's cool. :)

It's not just the lack of evidence that makes me skeptical. Those who claim to have seen the American crate burn cannot agree what exactly burns (words? logo(s)? both? on one, two, or four sides?) or where this fits into the final sequence we know. Does the warehouseman leave a trail or smoke going down the aisle, or what?

I've heard this sort of thing from Aussies before, that Americans are too easily offended to witness certain scenes (such as the rumored duck beheading in 'Babe,' or slangy 'Crocodile Dundee' in-jokes at our expense). And it always comes down to "I've seen it, you haven't, you wouldn't understand" ...like a fifth grader explaining sex-ed to a third grader.

I predict we'll fall back on wondering if this scene was shot and included in test screenings, until someone prods Lucas or ILM for an official response.

these are all good points, unfortunitly no one will ever both to bug goerge about it. fortunitly they will save their questions for when they REALLY need them

Aaron H said:
Its been a long time since I saw the footage...so pardon me for not remembering if it was a logo or just words. I do not have a clip of the scene, I do not know where to find one, and I will not say where I saw it.

The dramatic scene where the warehouseman wheels it down the aisle and the credits roll is where the scene is. Right before it goes to black we see a final shot of the crate, just like on the Bantu Wind, and the logo/words/etc burn away.

ahh, so you're saying the guy wheels the crate somewhere, then drops it off and it starts to burn?

hmmm, doesn't seem to fit, the ending establishing shot is so perfect

but then again, so is the burning

Ska

I checked out my old "recorded-from-HBO" version that my parents have, but the ending is as the DVDs and the VHS box set (w/ YIJC ch. 18).

What confuses me is that once the camera begins panning to show the overall warehouse, the "happy" IJ theme begins, then the warehouse worker turns behind some crates, and the credits begin to roll. I'm assuming the deleted scene would be once the worker sets the crate in its permanent home. Showing the power of the Ark just doesn't seem to fit with the Raiders March in the background. And the credits roll over the long shot of the warehouse for more than a few seconds. Having the burning crate shot as the very last shot, as the Colonel mentioned above, would screw this all up.

Something seems fishy here... :whip:

spohlso

For me, until someone actually takes the time to upload a clip somewhere I'm going to write this one off as 'Urban Legend.'

It just seems way too out of place with the pacing and timing of the end of the movie.

00Kevin

Indyfan
SKAbatula said:
What confuses me is that once the camera begins panning to show the overall warehouse, the "happy" IJ theme begins, then the warehouse worker turns behind some crates, and the credits begin to roll. I'm assuming the deleted scene would be once the worker sets the crate in its permanent home. Showing the power of the Ark just doesn't seem to fit with the Raiders March in the background. And the credits roll over the long shot of the warehouse for more than a few seconds. Having the burning crate shot as the very last shot, as the Colonel mentioned above, would screw this all up.

to me it's not so much the music, but the way that they pull the camera back for an establishing shot BEFOR he would have a chance to put the crate down seems to say 'this is the last shot of the movie'. If they just had an establishing shot it would work, but not pulling back the camera...

unless they shot it both ways, but we have no word from any of the 'beleivers' of this that the establishing shot is different

Colonel Vogel, any chance you can get us a clip on the web?

----------------------------------------------

Next Avatar Series here I come...

00Kevin

Indyfan
Ben Friend of Indy said:
That's the way I heard it: after the end credits finish, then we go back to the warehouse and see the crate burning.

Oh! I see, I read it too fast. thanks ben and spohlso

so it's like in movies like "Austin Powers: The spy who shagged me" where they had just a few seconds of something to emphasize a point AFTER the entire credits

that makes sense, this explains why all the critics didn't catch it back then

but wait a second, The way Aaron H worded it a couple of pages ago, It sounded like it was during the movie itself.....

Aaron H? can I get a confirmation on this?

----------------------------------------------

Next Avatar Series here I come...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I can't imagine zooming back in after the warehouse matte painting, or the ark's 'woob-woob-woob' noise competing with the raiders march. After the credit crawl is the only logical place for a crate-scorching scene.

Stingers were less common in the 80's than they are now, but they did exist, like when Moriarty signed his name at the end of 'Young Sherlock Holmes' (a Spielberg production).

00Kevin

Indyfan
stingers, not heard this term befor, now I know

that's interesting that another SS film in the 80's had one, perhaps steven picked it up from here

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
'Stinger' may not be the official term, if there is one. Maybe I'm thinking of 'kicker'...

I can't make screen caps as I don't have a DVD drive but maybe Neolithic can help. :whip:

As I said before the scene isn?t that interesting. :eek:

00Kevin

Indyfan
is there a chance that someone you know might be able to do it?

I think most of us here in the US and Europe would be interested to see it. with your permission it would be placed as a downloadable movie clip on all the indy fan sites

Your name up in lights!

00Kevin said:
is there a chance that someone you know might be able to do it?

I think most of us here in the US and Europe would be interested to see it. with your permission it would be placed as a downloadable movie clip on all the indy fan sites

Your name up in lights!

I only do it if you can guarantee me a role in Indy 4. :D

00Kevin

Indyfan
I'll tell you what, you do it and you can dream about being in Indy 4 all you want

you get to play Herman, posesed by Vogel

soapboxtop

The way I remember it is that it was before the credits...but it's been so long now I'm not sure of anything. The last time I saw this scene must have been more than 15 years ago. Yet I remember it missing when I saw Raiders again in the US somewhat recently (well, ok, not so recently, maybe 5 years ago or so). I may have it on VHS at my parents from the french TV recorded movie (they used to record a lot of movies off the TV), but it's SECAM, not NTSC and I don't have the VCR to read SECAM tapes or the means to transfer them to the computer (yeah my parents are scavengers..they won't get rid of old tapes even if they can't read them lol). I'll ask my brother in France about it, he may be able to get it burned somehow, but I can't make promises.

Last edited: