Making of Temple of Doom PBS (1984)

drjones

No, Indy fan, you'd be surprised. It was called, get ready for this, so original:

The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. :rolleyes:

making_todoom.jpg

fixer79

Indy fan 235 said:
Fixer, where did you get your Raiders docs from?

The 'Making of Raiders of the Last Ark' tape came with a cardboard cover in this VHS box set:

f53d_1_b.JPG

I bought the 'Great Movie Stunts' tape seperately (in a standard plastic cover) in a Free Record Store in Brussels, Belgium. It was released with Dutch subtitles.

Anyway, I appreciate the help, lads!

drjones said:
fixer, yes, the LC special Great Adventurers And Their Quests was released on VHS, but the making of Temple Of Doom was NOT, ever. There are nine sellers who are selling it through Amazon if you decide to buy a copy.

Sadly, It won't do me no good to buy the tapes on Amazon... They'll be NTSC and I doubt my European PAL VCR will be able to play them...

drjones

Well, crap. Stupid Paramount. If they DID ever release that special in PAL format, it must be very hard to find. I'm sorry, fixer. I wish I knew where to send you to to look. Not even amazon.co.uk had it.

fixer79

drjones said:
Well, crap. Stupid Paramount. If they DID ever release that special in PAL format, it must be very hard to find. I'm sorry, fixer. I wish I knew where to send you to to look. Not even amazon.co.uk had it.

That's OK, dude. I appreciate your help! ;)

Inbanana said:

Thanks for the link, Inbanana! :D
They seem to have the ToD documentary in four parts!

Too bad they don't have the LC one...

Inbanana

Ya... I just checked again and didn't see it... for some reason I thought they had they had an LC one also... ah well.

Stoo

drjones said:
No, Indy fan, you'd be surprised. It was called, get ready for this, so original:

The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. :rolleyes:
Actually, Indy fan 235 is absolutely right. There was a 1 hr special in '84 called,
"Heroes and Sidekicks: Indiana Jones and the Temple Doom" that was hosted
by William Shatner. I guess you missed it!

No one here ever mentions this one (in the 3 years I've been here, anyway)
and it's not even listed in TheRaider.net Documentaries section! (HINT: I could
provide screen caps if it ever gets added.)

Large parts of it were old film clips of various heroes & sidekicks but it also
had cool "behind the scenes" footage that I've never seen anywhere else.
I still have the copy I recorded from TV back in the day.

Plus, there was ANOTHER documentary that I've got parts of but don't
remember the title!

fixer79

Stoo said:
Actually, Indy fan 235 is absolutely right. There was a 1 hr special in '84 called,

remember the title!

Hosted by William Shatner you say... Never seen that one...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone, somewhere put it on a fansite or something.

Thanks for the info, Stoo! :)

drjones

Wow. You're right, I hadn't ever heard of that. I must not have known about it. I guess I was getting ready to finish sixth grade at the time, and didn't have a lot of time to watch TV; plus, we only had one TV at the time anyway in my home back then. Wish I had seen it. That's weird that Shatner hosted it, considering his Star Trek III was about to compete with Indy in about two weeks or so at that time.

martinland

fixer79 said:
The 'Making of Raiders of the Last Ark' tape came with a cardboard cover in this VHS box set:

f53d_1_b.JPG
Hey, that's a great box: I treasure this here next to my Indy DVDs. The image quality of these tapes on an A-machine is the best VHS I've ever seen.

The 'Making of' is great. To bad they didn't include it on DVD on top of the rest. It's also of historical interest I'd say. ;)

Stoo

fixer79 said:
Hosted by William Shatner you say... Never seen that one...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone, somewhere put it on a fansite or something.

Thanks for the info, Stoo! :)
My pleasure, Fix...and that "someone, somewhere" just might end up being me!;)

One thing I am still kicking myself for not taping was an '80s documentary on
special effects. Of course, ILM was featured, and there was a great segment
on the rope bridge sequence from "Doom". During one of the blue screen shots,
Harrison's kicking & flailing legs were cut off at the waist by mistake. His legs
had to be painted in frame-by-frame!!

Indy fan 235

Stoo said:

remember the title!

For a minute there I thought I dreamt it up! Thanks, Stoo.

I remember bits and parts of it, but not Shatner hosting it. That is just wild. I wish these were put on as extras on the DVDs.

Inbanana

Stoo said:
My pleasure, Fix...and that "someone, somewhere" just might end up being me!;)

One thing I am still kicking myself for not taping was an '80s documentary on
special effects. Of course, ILM was featured, and there was a great segment
on the rope bridge sequence from "Doom". During one of the blue screen shots,
Harrison's kicking & flailing legs were cut off at the waist by mistake. His legs
had to be painted in frame-by-frame!!
I've seen some of your videos on you tube... great stuff.

Do you remember if Good Morning America promoted LC back in '89 like they are with the new movie today? The reason I ask is that I seem to remember an interview with Spielberg (I think it was from GMA) where the interviewer asks him about the last shot in LC, where they ride off into the sunset, and Spielberg says that it wasn't supposed to mean that it was going to be the last Indiana Jones movie, but rather the last one that he would be involved in, and that it was his way of saying goodbye to the series. Also, that it was up to George Lucas if there was going to be anymore of them. I might have this recorded on betamax somewhere... but finding the ark would be easier for me at the moment... as its halfway across the world right now in a storage facility out in the middle of the desert... (actually not far from area 51 ;))

I think its interesting, because when you hear Spielberg talk in these old documentaries... it sounds like there were always supposed to be at least 3 or 4 "Raiders" movies, and that he would only be involved with the first one and maybe one of the sequels... definitely not the "3rd and 4th" ones. Yet... after all this time (and probably much to his surprise), here he is making Indy 4. Lucas must have something to blackmail him with... ha ha. ;)

Michael24

I also recall reading an old Spielberg interview where he said he would most likely step down as director after they finished TOD and let someone else take over while he simply served as a producer.

oki9Sedo

Michael24 said:
I also recall reading an old Spielberg interview where he said he would most likely step down as director after they finished TOD and let someone else take over while he simply served as a producer.

That was at a time when they all thought they'd be making one every couple of years like the James Bond movies, not one every five or nineteen years.

-Jones-

The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

PART 1 of 6

Next parts coming soon :].

Last edited: