Refrigerator's Saving Grace

Tom Cook

From Wikipedia's 'History of the Refridgerator':

"Commercial fridge and freezer units, which go by many other names, were in use for almost 40 years prior to the common home models. They used toxic ammonia gas systems, making them unsafe for home use. Practical household refrigerators were introduced in 1915 and gained wider acceptance in the United States in the 1930s as prices fell and non-toxic, non-flammable synthetic refrigerants such as Freon or R-12 were introduced."

Prior to WWII, people looked to the past for answers, now they look to the future for salvation. Indy realizes he must fight what is toxic, with what is toxic. Thus TECHNOLOGY plays a big role in this film that it does not play in the others.

Plus, a fridge is a suburban-conformity-family-item. This is a 50's movie. That will be a big element that old-Indy will have to be accustomed to.

Perhilion

If the movie makes it clear that the situations are right for the fridge trick to work then I won't mind it. So, Indy has to be far enough away, the wind should be blowing away from him,etc.

GlasgowChivas

as far as I'm concerned until May 22nd I believe that:

Indy escapes from the Warehouse and the Russians on the rocketsled

only to end up in DoomTown and have to jump into the fridge to survive

What would make this plausible is if the Russians had moved the bomb closer to the warehouse, further away from DoomTown, to destroy all evidence of the Roswell theft.

Prove me wrong Speilberg.

agentsands77

Tsar said:
So many factors come into play. Assuming that DoomTown is actually at the Nevada Proving Grounds, which is where the US conducted its nuclear testing campaign during the 1950s, which btw is very close to real-life Area 51.

They tested all sorts of atomic bombs at the NPG during the 1950s. Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs were 15 kilotons and 20 kilotons in yield respectively. The largest nuclear weapon tested in the US in the atmosphere was 70 kiltons (Plumbob Hood). Weapons as small as <0.005 kilotons were tested.

During some of the tests, soldiers were positioned sometimes a mile or less from ground zero, in trenches, depending on the yield of the explosion, and other factors (such as wind direction, explosion height, etc.)

Even today at the Nevada Test Site you can still see some of the houses built there during the 1950s that were used for the atomic tests. A few are still standing with little to no damage.

It is entirely possible for Indy to survive an atomic explosion hiding in a fridge less than a mile from an atomic explosion. Initially, the most dangerous thing would be the intense heat and light of the explosion; if the fridge was not in direct line of sight to ground zero, it would not absorb as much heat. After that it's the blast (shockwave), and this depends on 1.) the power of the explosion 2.) distance from the explosion 3.) height of the explosion 4.) where the fridge rests (i.e. in a trench, hole, close to the ground). Once again, if the circumstances are right, it is entirely possible for a person to survive an atomic explosion at relatively close proximity hiding in a fridge.

The last thing to worry about is the radiation, and this depends also on many things, probably the most important thing is wind direction. If the wind is blowing away from Indy's position, most of the deadly radiation would be carried away from him. If the bomb exploded on top of a tower or suspended from a balloon (which were the common methods used for atomic testing), localized radioactive fallout would be minimal.
Great post, Tsar.

jasperjones

I totally buy the idea of the Ruskies detonating a bomb to mask their tracks. That would make sense as to why Dovchenko and Indy are fighting in that bunker as well. I love the idea of Indy getting himself out of one scrape only to end up in another even worse mess. Kind of like the mine car chase taken into the atomic age.

Indy1970

Sled in TV Spot 2??

If you watch the beginning of TV spot two you can see what appears to be a glowing something or other moving quickly across a desert at night.

Hmmm...I wonder

GlasgowChivas said:
as far as I'm concerned until May 22nd I believe that:

Indy escapes from the Warehouse and the Russians on the rocketsled

only to end up in DoomTown and have to jump into the fridge to survive

What would make this plausible is if the Russians had moved the bomb closer to the warehouse, further away from DoomTown, to destroy all evidence of the Roswell theft.

Prove me wrong Speilberg.

In the SMFM script, the rocket sled scene takes place BEFORE the Doomtown blast. Indy tracks the Russian spy Cheslav to a missile testing base where he hopes to find his kidnapped fiance, Elaine. He enters the bunker and encounters Veska and gets into a struggle just as technicians fire the rocket sled and Indy and Veska cling to it to avoid being incinerated by the blast. As the sled rockets down the track, the fight continues. Indy knocks Veska off who is incinerated by the burners. After the sled eventually comes to a stop, an ambulance and car pulls up and two Russian spies capture him and throw him in the trunk of the car and he is driven out to the desert. They pull into an abandoned gas station in the town of "Boomsburg." Indy escapes from the trunk and sneaks out. He stumbles upon the Doom Town house, and looks inside and hears music playing on a radio and sees the mannequins seated at the kitchen table. Suddenly the radio stops playing music and a voice comes over the radio that warns: "You've been listening to Civil Defense Radio..." Indy suddenly realizes what this means and says "I've got a bad feeling about this." He runs into the kitchen and opens a trap door to find a 2 foot crawl space, the walls lined with concrete. He throws open the fridge door, hurls the contents out, hops inside and topples the lead-lined refrigerator over the crawlspace like a turtle-shell just as the room glows white.

TalonCard

GlasgowChivas said:

That would be neat...but the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones has this note on Hanger 51:

"Finally found the Ark's location for the past twenty years--may have to make a return trip--what else is in that hanger??"

So it appears that the Hanger remains intact. This'd make a good sequel... :D

TC

MarxBrosFan

TalonCard said:
That would be neat...but the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones has this note on Hanger 51:

"Finally found the Ark's location for the past twenty years--may have to make a return trip--what else is in that hanger??"

TC

I really hope the warehouse isn't destroyed. It wouldn't ruin the movie, but the Ark is so cool I hate the thought of it getting destroyed like that. The Ark is the only artifact from the original movies I would look forward to seeing again.

agentsands77

TalonCard said:

Yeah. Looks like the Hangar stays around, and that Indy recognizes the Ark there.

However, I don't think Indy would ever head back to get the Ark (I think he's actually afraid of the Ark... he was frustrated that the military didn't recognize its power, not that it wasn't in a museum). If, by some unlikely chance, he went back, it would be to find something else.

TalonCard

agentsands77 said:
However, I don't think Indy would ever head back to get the Ark (I think he's actually afraid of the Ark... he was frustrated that the military didn't recognize its power, not that it wasn't in a museum). If, by some unlikely chance, he went back, it would be to find something else.

Exactly--he's already found the Ark; what's the point? But there were hundreds of crates in the warehouse... :D

One of my favorite things about Raiders is that the entire adventure was essentually a footnote in the history of the Ark--there was never any danger of being it being used by the Nazis, and even though Indy recovered it, it just ended up safely tucked away in storage--which was where it had been for thousands of years anyway.

TC

Tom Cook

Is the 'Lost Journal' part of that book that was released recently? Where did you get that? Is the context that the journal existed after KOTCS?

TalonCard

Tom Cook said:
Is the 'Lost Journal' part of that book that was released recently? Where did you get that? Is the context that the journal existed after KOTCS?

Yep, that's the one--ordered it from Amazon. The idea is that the journal covers Indy's activities from 1908-1957, that it was taken from him by the Russians during the expedition to South America, and survived in the KGB/Russian Federation security archives until the present day.

TC

Tom Cook

There's a scene of Indy directing crates being opened in the warehouse. You know, where he's standing on top of all the crates and Spalko is looking up at him?

:D
Wouldn't it be fantastic for him to briefly see a crate w/ burned-outline of the ark on the wood, and purposefully divert the Russians from that one. That could be an incredible acting moment. Or if Indy opens it, you see a gold shimmer on his face, and he quickly closes it and moves on. There might even be a brief musical moment there, too.

I think it's realistic that Lucas/Spielberg decided to put this in.

oki9Sedo

Tom Cook said:
Wouldn't it be fantastic for him to briefly see a crate w/ burned-outline of the ark on the wood, and purposefully divert the Russians from that one. That could be an incredible acting moment. Or if Indy opens it, you see a gold shimmer on his face, and he quickly closes it and moves on. There might even be a brief musical moment there, too.

I think it's realistic that Lucas/Spielberg decided to put this in.

That would actually be brilliant, I think. Thats a fantastic idea. In fact thats the single best idea I've heard on this site.

Some of the sh*t ideas people say.......wouldn't it be great if Indy fights twelve natives with his whip while simultaneously shooting Russians and simultaneously carrying the Crystal Skull up his arse.

The Man

oki9Sedo said:
That would actually be brilliant, I think. Thats a fantastic idea. In fact thats the single best idea I've heard on this site.

Some of the sh*t ideas people say.......wouldn't it be great if Indy fights twelve natives with his whip while simultaneously shooting Russians and simultaneously carrying the Crystal Skull up his arse.

That would one cracker of a setpiece, though. Perhaps Ford would use a double for the "arse-carrying" business.

oki9Sedo

The Man said:
That would one cracker of a setpiece, though. Perhaps Ford would use a double for the "arse-carrying" business.

LOL!:D

Can you imagine it? The Crystal Skull certainly wouldn't be son nice and shiny anymore.....especially if there was a repeat of that Cairo marketplace dysentery business.