Indiana Jones in New Haven - news, updates and everything else

ReXX KiLLeR

This one will be set in the 1950s, according to several merchants who were approached by crew members. (so not in 1948-1949, according to the past quotes of Frank Marshall or Kathleen Kennedy...)

The fourth installment of the hugely popular series, arriving in theaters almost 20 years after the third, will include some kind of car chase on Chapel between College and High streets.

Barbara J. Lamb, director of the city’s Office of Cultural Affairs, said the production would close down parts of College and Elm streets and possibly other downtown streets as well.

Levy said the filming dates are not set, but one merchant said she was told it would happen June 28 and 30.

A pre-production crew was in the city last week and Monday talking to shop owners on the block.

"I really have no details on it at all, except to say that there will be some filming there," said Marvin Levy

:whip:
20070514_233128_2_story.jpg

Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Oh ****. This really seems to be true. Am I dreaming? I just got up. So there's a possibility of daydreaming. It's just because...the first thing I saw on my browser was "Spielberg and Jackson team for Tintin". Is there some erruption in the world's magnetic field? This is fan****ingtastic!
And now this: Thanks RExx!

Uuhh, and I didn't read carefully enough. Thought it said Chapel. But it's chapel STREET. Thank god. Too much bad Saucermen memories would be linked to that one.

Oh boy. I'd love them to come to my town. We've got some old looking german houses! ;)

fedoraboy

If leggit - which I think this is - this sounds great!

Fantastic to know this project is moving ahead behind closed doors, I know some of us have been doubting that it will happen at all - great news!!

misnomer

cool, am looking forward to the 50's feel of this movie.....been quite a while since something like this has been on the big screen in such a big way. any raiders that live near there gotta snap some pics!

Phaidon

Even I as a sceptic have to admit that this news sounds legit.

However, I hope Indy IV will concentrate on sets around the world and not just USA/Europe. In spite of that, this set is quite appropriate to the less-adventure tone of the film.

I wonder why the New Haveners are allowed to tell us anything about the meeting considering all the secrecy as far as the project is concerned.

indyt

You beat me to it REXX. Great find. This is getting very exciting. I am sure news will be start to pour in by June.:D

Echo22

Here's a better pic of the High St. Arch (which may or may not make the scene - who knows?)

http://www.hullsnewhaven.com/images/photos page images/HIGHARCH2.JPG

I'm picturing maybe a car chase outside the University that sets the plot in
motion. Not necessarily the opening action sequence - but just after, ala Marion's bar scene in Raider's or the boat chase through Venice. Maybe just after we're introduced to Blanchett's character (????) Then off to wherever - cue the map. I'd bet that Shia Lebeouf will be a part of this scene.
And if Connery signs on, I can see Professor Jones being a part of the Yale location shoot, as well. Then again, I can also see him joining in during the middle of the movie (where Sallah usually shows himself)
But, as I'm sure others will point out, there's no verification of Sir Sean's involvement or that there's a car chase or that it will be anything more than a few scenes of dialogue. Maybe Indy will climb out of another office window. Who knows?
Fun to speculate, though.
I wouldn't expect to see Ford in the leather jacket in New Haven, though. This sounds like a suit and fedora scene to me.
http://www.theraider.net/showimage..../films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/105.jpg

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
To those wondering if this is real or not...it is 100% real. The paperwork has been filed, and it doesn't lie.

Gobi-1

Great news. If you think about it there hasn't been a flat out, peddle to the meddle car chase in an Indy movie.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Truck chase in the desert.
Temple of Doom - Car chase in Shanghai alleyways. Short and very contained.
The Last Crusade - Motorcycle chase, Nazi plane briefly chases car.

I'm hoping for a far longer and more involving car chase. Burning rubber on asphalt and crashes galore.

:whip:

Dr.Sartorius

I can't believe we actually got location info!!!!!!!!

So assuming the June 18 start date is true, they're going to film in Los Angeles for 10 days and then move on to New Haven...

Indy_Chic

Wow! Finally we have got location info!!! Yaaaaaay!(y)

I'm hoping for a far longer and more involving car chase. Burning rubber on asphalt and crashes galore.

I sure hope so too! It would be great!:gun:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
torao said:
bad Saucermen memories
EXT. PRINCETON CHAPEL - DAY ...where the black sedan roars off. Indy looks around, spots the wedding car with “JUST MARRIED” soaped on the windows and cans hanging off the back...The DRIVER waits beside the car. Indy brushes the driver out of the way and climbs in behind the wheel.
EXT. PRINCETON STREETS - DAY Indy accelerates through traffic in the sleepy college town, CANS BANGING after him. He closes-in on the black sedan. The two cars cut back and forth in and out of traffic. It is clear that the driver of the black sedan has no intention of allowing Indy to catch up. Indy pulls out to pass, when a truck suddenly backs out in front of him. He slams on the brakes and cuts the wheel, sending the wedding car roaring across campus. Indy cuts down sidewalks and over lawns... all the time keeping the black sedan in sight until he blasts through a hedge onto
FOOTBALL PRACTICE FIELDS The football team scatters in front of the wedding car. INDY cuts hard again to avoid the band and cheerleaders who dive for cover. THE WEDDING CAR roars down an embankment onto a lower field where homecoming floats are being prepared. INDY sees the floats too late and CRASHES through the tallest one, taking half the chicken wire and crepe paper with him through a fence and swerving to avoid students stacking...
TWO STORIES OF WOOD FOR THE HOMECOMING BONFIRE
The car clips the bottom corner and the entire stack wobbles, then collapses as students leap to the ground and INDY'S CAR bursts through a picket fence and back onto... CAMPUS STREET ...and coming out just behind the black sedan! Indy floors it, moving closer...fender to fender. The man holds a look with Indy, then veers the black sedan into Indy's car, causing him to slam on the brakes and crash into a yard as... The black sedan disappears... AROUND THE CORNER ...and runs up a ramp, disappearing inside a tractor trailer truck. TWO MEN dressed as movers, fold up the ramp and close the doors of the trailer revealing the name: CAMPUS MOVERS. INDY'S CAR pulls out of the yard and roars around the corner to find the sedan gone. His car roars past the truck as the men climb into the cab and drive off.
ON INDY - He stops the car. The road ahead is empty. The black sedan has vanished. He climbs out and looks around but Elaine has vanished. Behind him the moving van pulls away.

Finn

Staff member
Before we start tying any knots and trying our necks for a swing, keep in mind that it's not a new thing to revamp & recycle material from scrapped scripts. ToD had a lot of stuff (action scenes like the mine cart and the gong) that was originally in a draft of Raiders.

ReXX KiLLeR

More: Indiana Jones set date & more info about the car chase scene! [SPOILERS!]

Set in 1957, the scene will appear near the beginning of the movie.

The film will have a major chase scene downtown and on the Yale campus ? and inside Yale as well, including Indiana riding his bike through the Commons, Yale?s dining hall.

Indy will be chased down a transformed Chapel Street into Old Campus, onto High Street and escape briefly through a gate into Branford College.

Other segments have Ford on York and Elm streets, roaring out of Sterling Memorial Library, flying into Old Campus through Phelps Gate, breaking up a political rally on the way.

New Haven scenes will be shot between June 28 and July 7, but not on Sundays or July 4.<BR/><BR/>

Last edited by a moderator:

ReXX KiLLeR

If these are the facts, I think Steven Spielberg & crew should immediately join all the forces to protect the production & the shooting of the film from leaking out this amount of informations/another stuff, create a new strategy... though this is just one possibly a few minutes long scene of the scenes creating an approximately 2 hours long movie (with some exotic locations, where is maybe a bigger amount of bushes though...), if it happened on each of the scenes, we saw the film...

ReXX KiLLeR

Mouths of all the streets are building the whole scene before of us... can't believe it...<BR/><BR/></BR>

Last edited:

fedoraboy

This scene gets better and better, but I already feel that I know to much about the movie, I don't want any more spoilers now!!:dead:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
*lol*
I love the fact that those mostly demanding for news are now fed up. Maybe that was the strategy... ;)
I gotta agree with you, though, fedoraboy. And this is also why I welcomed the "secrecy"-way Lucas mentioned in the interview.

I guess we should also start to find a solution to mark the SPOILERS.

fedoraboy

torao said:
I guess we should also start to find a solution to mark the SPOILERS.

Good idea, lets try to keep from giving any specifics in the thread title, to avoid inadvertantly finding out more than we want...

eg.
(POSSIBLE) SPOILER...title information
SPOILER...scene info
SPOILER...plot details

It is a tricky 'internal conflict' of wanting more news but wanting the cinematic experience to remain fresh at the same time, I guess we all need to take responsibility for how we share information.

I'm happy to absorb location details and casting info,but plot and scene specifics get in the way of my enjoyment of the ultimate movie experience and I'd rather steer clear as much as I can..