Can we get Indy around the globe ?

inky_skin

Lance Quazar said:
For the last time, I don't live in the Valley!!!

My humble apologies Lance - this is what happens when you cut and paste !

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-05-10
Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)
Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-06-10
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon) NOTE: Must arrive in this location by 01-07-10
Canada (throwmetheidol)
West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
??? Japan (indy34)
??? Bangalore (inky_skin)
??? Gdansk (inky_skin)

Stoo

NickTurner said:
In terms of the actual photography, I'm going to try for the smallest aperture like when I take model pictures so I can try and get (small) Indy and (large) background in focus at the same time This should give a nice "I'm really there" vibe, but will be a little trickier to set up on location. I will need to take my tripod to mount the camera on, to keep it steady during the longer exposure needed with a small aperture, and I may need to take something to put Indy on to keep him steady in the foreground. Anyone else thought about the photography end of things?
Sounds good, Nick, just as long as it doesn't end up looking like a Photoshop composite, go for it! As for me, I don't think I'll have any time for elaborate setups but definitely want to frame the figure in a way to make it looks like he's actually part of the scene.
inky_skin said:
@Stoo - any sign of Indy yet ?
No sign yet even though I really thought he'd be here by today. Hopefully tomorrow...

Anyway, an unforseeable situation has arisen which has postponed the trip to Malta. A member of my girlfriend's family has fallen gravely ill with a rapidly deteriorating condition and only has a few days left so we're heading back to Canada this week in an effort to pay our last respects before it's too late (don't think we're going to make it in time):(. We will return to Switz for only a few days before heading to Malta at the end of the month.

This means:
-Inky wasted his money on the Special Delivery fees and the figure could have possibly gone to Turkey. SORRY!
-If the figure definitely has to be delivered to Billy Ray in Afghanistan by the 01 June, I can't take him to Malta. (Returning from Malta to Switz on 31 May).
-If I do take Indy to Malta, I will have the figure for 3 weeks.
-I could take the figure with me and try and get some photos of him in Montreal, Quebec and Kingston, Ontario which both have plenty of historical landmarks. Don't know if I'll have the chance in Kingston (or even if I'll be in the mood) but we'll see.

That's the status. Hope this doesn't screw things up. Billy Ray, is 01 June an absolute deadline? I think I can get it to you within 4-5days. It could end up being:

Switzerland / Kingston / Montreal / Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)

Last edited:

inky_skin

@Stoo - don't give a second thought to the schedule - what's important is taking care of family business. I'll let you work things out with others on the list. The only immutable deadline (I think) is Rocket Surgeon / Princeton. The dates around Billy Ray were to give enough time for Indy to reach Rocket on East Coast USA.

Take care bud.

AlivePoet

Stoo said:
Perhaps we could convince, AlivePoet or Peru1936 (who are Canadian ex-pats living in Korea) to take up the task for the final leg after Australia?

Sign me up, I'm good for it!

Billy Ray

inky_skin said:
@Stoo - don't give a second thought to the schedule - what's important is taking care of family business. I'll let you work things out with others on the list. The only immutable deadline (I think) is Rocket Surgeon / Princeton. The dates around Billy Ray were to give enough time for Indy to reach Rocket on East Coast USA.

Take care bud.

Stoo, sorry to hear about your girlfriend's family member.

Yeah, I am here until the end of July at the earliest,so anytime in June is good for me but I will need about 2 weeks to get him to Rocket in time. Mail is kind of iffy from here, so he could get there earlier than that, I say two weeks just to be safe. They always give the standard "10 duty days" at the P.O., which is meaningless really because everyday is a "duty day" here, so I don't know whose "duty days" they are talking about. :confused:

You know, I didn't think about this before, but I will be going to Kirgizstan from here for a couple of days before I go home, but theres not really much there in the way of photo ops. In fact, in many ways, it sucks worse there than here. No offense to anyone from Kirgizstan, I'm sure the country is lovely, but the base there sucks. Not sure what route I am taking home, but on the way here I also passed through Germany and Turkey, but didn't really get to leave the terminal.

Stoo

I Think the Eagle Has Landed

inky_skin said:
Take care bud.
Thanks a lot. It's going to be rough.:(

The good news is that I think Indy has arrived in the Confédération Helvétique (Switzerland)! There was notice in my mailbox for a letter to be picked up at the post office. It will be available tomorrow. Talk about cutting it close, we're leaving the day after (Thursday) and would've been leaving for Malta tomorrow! This post office is a 1 minute walk away. Is Indy in an padded envelope or a box?:confused:
AlivePoet said:
Sign me up, I'm good for it!
Great to hear, homey!:hat: That didn't take much convincing. Ha ha.

@Billy Ray. Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I can mail him to you as soon as I get back from Malta and, hopefully, it will get there within the 1st week of June. (If I pull a "Lance" and lose him, I'll have to whip myself!):whip:
Billy Ray said:
Whoops, double post:eek:
Post-Cereal.jpg
Post-Cereal.jpg

inky_skin

@Stoo - Indy's in a padded envelope - fingers-crossed he made it !
@AlivePoet - Consider yourself on the itinerary post-Australia...

Meerkat

inky_skin said:
What's your schedule ?

Sorry for not having replied to this earlier....I'm actually not going to China for another five weeks or so. I'll be here in Oregon for quite a while....

Stoo

inky_skin said:
All, Indy left the UK early this morning on the first leg of his global adventure. Due to his hurried departure (to meet a connecting flight from Switzerland to Malta) he failed to take any photos before he left. However, his host did sign his travel documents as a memento of his stay (included in package). Indy's itenerary is as follows:

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-05-10
Switzerland / Malta (Stoo)
Indy in La Suisse!(y) ARRIVED 11-05-10

Indy arrived in beautiful Neuchâtel yesterday but was held up at customs and finally managed to get out & about town today. Senility must be setting in on the ageing professor as he almost lost his luggage twice!:eek: Unfortunately, a downpour of rainy weather cut his promenade short. He leaves for Canada tomorrow morning. Bon voyage, Dr. Jones!

"It's almost 6 o'clock and Swiss clocks are never wrong. Where is everybody?"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_01.jpg

More to follow...

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
WHOOO! First picture! Looks amazing! How exciting!

Great job, Stoo. Very cool!
Rocket Surgeon said:
Well done! Do we have an updated itinerary?
Thanks, guys. It was fun to do but has made me realize that I am TERRIBLE at shooting miniatures with a digital camera.:eek: A manual camera is the way to go! The task of getting good shots was much more difficult than anticipated and no matter what setting was tried, Indy turned out blurry in almost every photo. Will have to experiment more.

Apart from the toys of my nephews, this is 1st time I've actually 'played' with an action figure since I was young so the need to become familiar with the flexiblity of Inky's custom was paramount. I picked Indy up at the post office and then went to a remote place to take some practice shots. Feeling like a weirdo, I then walked around for an hour trying different things...

WARNING: It is VERY easy to drop/lose the valise & umbrella!:eek: Extreme care is to be taken. If Indy doesn't lose his luggage on his 'round-the-world trip, I will be shocked!

DAMAGE: My first attempt to take the binding strap off the diary resulted in breaking it. I am very sorry, Inky.:eek: It just snapped immediately but is still hanging together by a thread! One of travel stickers in the middle of the suitcase came off but I have glued it back on. Hope it lasts...

NICE JOB ON THE DIARY, Inky Skin! Love it!:cool:

"It's almost 6 o'clock and Swiss clocks are never wrong. Where is everybody?" (IMPROVED VERSION)

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_01-1.jpg

"This boat doesn't leave for another two days. Gotta get to Canada as soon as possible."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_03.jpg

"Outta luck and the rain is starting to pour! Too bad my umbrella won't open. I'll have to improvise!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_04.jpg

Stoo

Silliness

"That swan seems to be taking an interest in me"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_06a.jpg

"Maybe I should use this bird to fly across the Atlantic. Reminds me of the time I dreamt of flying that goose back in Stockholm when I was 10."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_06b.jpg

Indy's about to be boiled & popped!:eek:

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_07.jpg

inky_skin

@Stoo - awesome, awesome work mate ! Don't worry about the diary - just stick an elastic band round it or something (this is what I get for substituting the finest corinthean leather with...um...'pleather'). I'd like to see the diary stuffed with anecdotes, signatures, bus tickets - anything really ! As for Indy's suitcase, well I guess that lost luggage is the occupational hazard of any long-distance traveller :)

Rough updated itinerary as follows...

UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
Canada: Kingston / Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED ???
Malta (Stoo)
Switzerland (Stoo)
Afghanistan (Billy Ray) NOTE: Stoo - please ensure Indy arrives with Billy Ray in time for him to reach Rocket before the second week of July
East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
Canada (throwmetheidol)
West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
Australia: Queensland (hemble)
Australia: Canberra (indy34)
Korea (AlivePoet)
Austria: (DoomTown)

map_switzerland_canada.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you took Indy to the Carnival...the Swan (shaped) Boats and the Tea Cup Ride. I guess he's had his fair share of Roller Coasters. Speaking of which, do we care what year this (academic?) trip is taking place?

Stoo said:
"Maybe I should use this bird to fly across the Atlantic. Reminds me of the time I dreamt of flying that goose back in Stockholm when I was 10."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_06b.jpg

Indy's about to be boiled & popped!:eek:

inky_skin

Rocket Surgeon said:
Looks like you took Indy to the Carnival...the Swan (shaped) Boats and the Tea Cup Ride. I guess he's had his fair share of Roller Coasters. Speaking of which, do we care what year this (academic?) trip is taking place?

While it's interesting seeing Indy in settings he may have theoretically encountered during his own travels, I think confining him to period-specific activities (1930s-50s) may be too restrictive for some locations (eg, while I have ancient sites and buildings here, if I took him to London I wouldn't preclude snapping him on something as modern as the London Eye etc). Therefore, I don't think we care about the year of his trip. However, I'm quite happy for each individual to interpret their involvement any way they want...

No Marion to share Indy's hottub ?

Last edited: