Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
I've always steered clear of this thread as I only ever saw a couple of episodes of Young Indy and I never seemed to be able to catch them in the UK.

However today I thought I'd check out the DVD box sets on Amazon. I was dismayed (although probably not too surprised) to read in some of the reviews that scenes were cut and changes made for the DVD release.

Stoo I see you are the expert on this, so I'm assuming that the only way to get the original versions was if I had recorded them back when they were originally broadcast?

Also was any reason given for making these changes?

Its put me in 2 minds now whether to buy the dvds or not.
Hi, Andy. Nice to see you in a Young Indy thread. Indeed, if you want ALL of the original broadcast versions there is no other option other than home recordings. Some episodes have been released on VHS & Laserdisc but not all.

Why the changes? As Demitasse already said, to fit them into packaged 'movies'. However, the specific choice of keeping certain parts instead of others remains a mystery.

Knowing your tastes, you'd probably enjoy the series very much (especially the war years) and if you've never seen the full original run then the changes shouldn't detract from the overall viewing experience. Plus, the DVDs contain about 3 hours (or more) of NEW or EXTENDED footage. Buy 'em, you'll like 'em!:D
Halfcup (Demitasse) said:
Also, while I have folks' attention on this thread, hey Stoo-- any chance we might get another video instalment of your YIJC deleted scenes up on StooTV before year's end?? (Fingers crossed!! I have a suggestion/request if you're up for it!)
Having just returned from my 2nd trip to Vienna, I'm really in the mood to share the cut scene from "Austria 1917" but am curious about your request. What is your suggestion?
Halfcup said:
...the episodes were (somewhat unlovingly) crammed into 120 minute time constraints. A lot was cut out and retouched...
90 minute time constraints.:p Excluding the Old Indy bookends, I'd say that only about 30 minutes (1.5% of broadcast footage*) was cut out, retouched or rearranged. That's a relatively minor amount of time compared to the 33 hours (approx.) of the original run.

*A rough estimate

Anyway, GREAT work on the deleted stuff from the scripts! Keep it up, mon ami.(y)

Demitasse

Stoo said:
Having just returned from my 2nd trip to Vienna, I'm really in the mood to share the cut scene from "Austria 1917" but am curious about your request. What is your suggestion?

Oops! The one I had in mind was the one you have already identified in this thread (post #61) as the "Holy Grail of YIJC Cut Scenes" from Congo, January 1917, that involves shooting into the jungle and the controversial(?) monkeys remark. Drat, I see now that you said it was never aired. The episode is not fresh on my brain, but I know the bit about Remy complaining of jiggers in his toes was definitely on TV because I remember that from the original broadcast and being freaked out by that as a kid! Not sure if the "jiggers" made it to the DVD episode. Will have to re-watch.

Anyway, if we can't do that, I'd love to see what was clipped from Vienna, which you've already mentioned a little bit in post #71 of this thread. :whip:

P.S. Just started my script analysis of the Barcelona episode, hope to have my findings up for you guys after Xmas break!

Demitasse

Scenes cut from Spain 1917 (May) script I

Like the script for Russia, Gavin Scott?s script for the Barcelona episode has some minor differences in the dialogue which are not very interesting and which I have left out. This time I'm only including things that were cut from the script entirely:

Old Indy (Voiceover): The entire anti-German alliance worked as a team. There was Marcello, the Italian. He?d seen everything. Nothing could surprise Marcello. In fact, we spent quite a lot of our time just trying to keep him awake. There was Charles, the Frenchman, who went under the code name Charles the Bizarre, which was ? well, appropriate. There was Cunningham, the Englishman. [?]

Cunningham (after specifying that the reigning King of Spain is Alfonso the thirteenth): And both we and the Germans are trying desperately to make sure the King brings Spain into the war on the right side. See that bullet-headed chap over there with the monocle? That?s Colonel Schmidt, head of the German team.

Indy reunites with Pablo Picasso:
Picasso: Norman [Rockwell]! It?s good to see you again.
Indy (a little taken aback): No, Norman was the other kid. I?m Indiana Jones, then known all too often as Junior.
Picasso: Ha! I thought you?d filled out. Those were great days, Indiana Jones. I was poor, and unknown, and ? we enjoyed ourselves.
Poor old Degas! Who thinks of Degas now? All they talk of is ? Picasso. Ah, well, that?s life. Let?s go see a bullfight!
Indy: Actually ? what I need is ? well ? I wondered if you wanted any help making the scenery for these ballet dancers. Painting, building, stuff like that.
Picasso: It?s all done, I?m afraid. These are just a few repairs. But hey-
(a glint of characteristically Picassian mischief comes into his eyes) ? I?ve got a better idea! Come with me.
Picasso brings Indy to Diaghilev?s office, while Diaghilev appears to be mid-rant:
Diaghilev: If I want a cow to dance I hire a cow! Or an elephant! Clump, clump, clump, just like you! How dare you dance like that! This is the Ballet Russe! The greatest ballet troupe in Europe! I am Diaghilev, the greatest impressario in Europe! And you are attempting to assassinate me with a pas de deux that a regiment of infantrymen could do better!
Ballet Dancer: But Mr. Diaghilev--
Diaghilev: Don?t speak to me! I can no more bear to hear the sound of your voice than I can the sight of your dancing! How can I be expected ?
Picasso: Hi, Diaghilev: I?m not interrupting anything, am I? This is Indiana Jones, an old friend of mine. He needs a job. You got anything for him?
Diaghilev considers imploding for a moment, then decides its more interesting to inspect Indy, scanning him from head to toe.
Diaghilev: Well, Indiana Jones, you have quite nice shoulders. And your waist, hmm. Nice. Very well: drop your trousers.
Indy: What?!
Picasso: You want a job, don?t you?
Diaghilev: My, my, my, my, my! What a delightful pair of legs. Lovely powerful thighs. Yes, I quite approve of them.
You can be a eunuch.
Indy: What?!
Picasso: In the ballet, in the ballet! He means you can be an extra.
Indy: But I can?t dance!
Diaghilev: That doesn?t matter. You just need to strut about looking beautiful and holding your scimitar. And look at the costume you?ll be able to wear!
Picasso points to a drawing of a eunuch costume which is very scanty.

Allied Spy Headquarters, Cunningham, Marcello, and Charles are seated around a table engaged in animated discussion:
Charles: You must admit the anthrax in the sugar-cubes was a streak of genius.
Cunningham: But a typical Hunnish trick! Fancy poisoning Spanish mules!
Marcello: But logical. You can?t run a modern war without mules to pull the artillery through the mud. Spain provides France with mules, the Germans secretly poison them en route, and the French blame the Spanish for selling them sick animals. They are thus less likely to become allies, and the Germans are delighted.
Cunningham: I still say it was not the sort of scheme an Englishman would want to come up with.
Charles: Exactly! That?s what?s wrong. We?ve got to be EVEN more devious than Schmidt. That?s the beauty of my plan about the bewll.

Cunningham: Your plan about the ? bewll is too ? bizarre, Charles. I?m sorry.
Charles: Why shouldn?t the German Kaiser appear to send King Alfonso a prize bewll? Who?s to know who really sent it? Imagine the scene ? the whole court at the bewllring ? thousands of cheering Spaniards: the prize German bewll gallops into the ring to fight the greatest matador in Spain ? and promptly falls over and falls fast asleep! The King would be furious, humiliated ? the Germans in disgrace.
Marcello: But why should the ? bewll fall asleep?
Charles: Because we have secretly trained it to do so! As soon as it sees a red cape this bewll will automatically fall over, close its eyes and sneur loudly.
Marcello: Sneur?
Charles
(impatiently): SNEUR! SNEUR! Like that! (He snores loudly).
Cunningham (pauses, unable to say how awful this plan is): Yes, well ? I?ll tell you what, Charles, why don?t we ? why don?t we?
Marcello: Why don?t we think of something that does not require any sneurring?

Charles?s face darkens furiously and Cunningham quickly brings Indy into the conversation.
Cunningham: I wonder what?s happened to our young job hunting friend? He?s been gone rather a long time.

The way Indy gains access through the secret entrance is a bit different:
A wonderfully picturesque ship?s chandler?s shop, full of nets and colored glass floats hanging from the ceiling; old fashioned diving suits with great brass helmets standing in the shadows, coils of rope and anchors. An ancient bearded man is bent over the counter. The door opens with a loud jangling of the bell and Indy gropes his way into the shadowy interior. (Cue: ?The Barber Shop? by Rosenthal)
Indy: I?m looking for a left handed binnacle.
Old man: There?s no such thing as a left handed binnacle, senor-
Indy: Then I?ll have a left handed marlin spike instead.
Old man: A splendid choice, your excellency.

(The old man turns around and pulls a marlin spike out of a rack. Indy appears to skink down into the ground, but his expression as he disappears through the trap door is one of complete calm. He descends into the cellar on the secret mechanism and steps off. The mechanism returns to the ceiling.)
Cunningham: Captain! Perfect timing! We were just asking ourselves where you?d got to.
Charles: Did you get a good jerb, Captain?
Indy: I nearly got the worst jerb in the world! I only escaped by the skin of my teeth. You know what? Some crazy Russian wanted to make me a eunuch in a ballet! Wearing a costume you wouldn?t believe!
Charles: He offered you a job with the Ballet Russe?
Cunningham: And you turned it down?
Indy: Well obviously ? can you see me ? half naked ? on a stage, being ogled by the ballet-lovers of Barcelona? (There is silence. They can.)
Marcello: It would not be wise to reject this opportunity, Captain.
Charles: All of Spanish society has its eyes on the Ballet Russe. Even the King and Queen go there.
Cunningham: I?ve even heard that Colonel Schmidt himself has been smitten by one of the dancers.
Marcello: There is no better cover for a spy in Spain at this moment.
Indy: No!
Charles
(firmly): I think you should regard this as TERP military priority, Captain.
Indy: But you haven?t seen the? costume he wants me to wear!
Cunningham
(sympathetic, but firm): Keep a stiff upper lip, old man. Anyway, you have nice legs, haven?t you?
Indy (gritting his teeth): Nice legs or not, Cunningham, hell would have to freeze over before I appear in public dressed like that.

Demitasse

Scenes cut from Spain 1917 (May) script II

Indy gets on stage dressed as a eunuch.
Diaghilev: Wonderful! Wonderful! I think we will call you Igor.
Indy: But I?m NOT a Russian, Mr. Diaghilev.
Diaghilev (after explaining that all his dancers are ?Russian?): I?m a very creative man. To the art of dance I have brought passion where there was once only posturing! People will forget about the war ? but they will remember my ballet forever! That?ll be all, Igor.
Indy
(leaving, says to himself through gritted teeth): I am NOT an Igor!
(Indy heads backstage and is met by Picasso and Olga.)
Picasso: Indiana ? you look marvelous. You were born to be a eunuch! Even Olga would be safe with you ? and Olga is VERY desirable.
Olga: Which is why you are going to marry me, Pablo.
(*My note: they married the next year in 1918!)
Picasso: Of course, my dear. And this is Olga?s friend and rival ?
Olga
(firmly): In the ballet ?
Picasso: Nadia Kamenevsky.

(Indy and Nadia are introduced, joined a few moments later by Colonel Schmidt who takes an immediate dislike to Indy?s getup.)
Colonel Schmidt: You see as Germans, as a warrior nation, do not approve of decadence. (Schmidt flicks Indy?s costume with his riding crop). I suppose it gives you some kind of perverse pleasure to wear this kind of thing, young man?
(Before Indy can respond to Colonel Schmidt?s diss, Diaghilev ?sails into view.?)
Diaghilev: Ah! Colonel Schmidt! What can I do for you?
Schmidt: You can ensure that the German Embassy has the best box for the theatre for the entire run of your ballet. We have many influential guests we wish to entertain.
Diaghilev: Provided you pay for the privilege, Colonel, I do not object to German money supporting Russian culture. The house manager will see to your requirements.
Nadia: I?ll show the Colonel the way, Mr. Diaghilev. Colonel Schmidt?

(Nadia takes Schmidt by the army; he clinks his heels, nods stiffly to Diaghilev and marches out. Everybody turns to watch them disappear).
Olga: Nadia is SO helpful. I came into her dressing room the other day and she was down on the floor, helping Colonel Schmidt look for his monocle. At least, that?s what she said she was doing ? and who am I to disbelieve her?
Picasso: Who indeed, Olga?

The Allied spies are trying to convince Marcello to lop off his hair so that the Count of Toledo?s chauffer will mistake him for Colonel Schmidt trying to make time with the Countess. (Cue Rosenthal?s ?The Countess?).
Marcello (agonized): My hair has only just grown back from last time!
Cunningham: Nonsense! You look splendid with the back of your head covered in bristles! Very manly.
Charles: And the monocle. It?s you, Marcello, that monocle!
(To Indy): You should see him when he?s in costume! From twenty yards he?s the living image of the Colonel.
Marcello: Women recoil from me for weeks afterwards!

(My note: IMO, they should have left that last bit in the script. I didn?t realize Terry Jones was supposed to be dressed-up as Col. Schmidt until the second time I watched this episode!)

Nadia takes Indy out to a restaurant to ?get to know him better?, then calls him out on tampering with the note.
Nadia: Poor Colonel Schmidt! You wicked man, you?ve been reading the cultural attache?s love letter to me!
Indy: I couldn?t help myself. How dare he! That bristly Prussian swine!
Nadia (laughing): How do you know I don?t like bristles?
Indy
(shocked): How could you?
Nadia: Don?t worry, I hate them.
But I like red roses and champagne and expensive dinners ? and if it gives and elderly German officer a little pleasure to take me out occasionally ? why not?

The Allied Spies? scheme to embarrass Schmidt gets under way and a page delivers a bogus letter to the Count supposedly from the Countess to the Colonel.
Page (appearing between the Count and Contessa): Note from Colonel Schmidt, Contessa.
Count: Give me that!
(Snatches it and reads it aloud): ?The noise of our bells will echo off every wall in Barcelona!? Consuella ? have you gone out of your mind?

Meanwhile, Delfina is making her way painfully down a row of seats while Indy and Nadia are signaling to others frantically, as Diaghilev and Picasso are watching off stage.
Diaghilev: I don?t think I entirely believe what I am seeing.
Indy is virtually doing a solo in his efforts to get his message across. Nadia is being pretty original too: she has managed to attract Delfina?s attention.

Later, after the show, a party is going on backstage for the cast and stagehands: a much less elegant party than the one upstairs ? and more fun. Impromptu flamenco dances are being danced and large quantities of rough Spanish wine are being drunk. Picasso comes in dragging Indy with him.
Picasso: You never told me you were a great choreographer, Indy! Here! Drink! They should devise a special number for you: The Dance of the Energetic Eunuchs.
Male Dancer: The Dance of the Limelight-hoggers!
Indy
(sticking to his story): There were fleas in my jockstrap.

Indy, after seizing Nadia and holding her captive in a dressing room, brings her some food.
Indy: Gee Nadia, I was just ? look, I?m sorry about tying you up and all, but there was a really good reason for it. I?m sorry you?re missing the party, too, so I brought you some stuff to eat and drink. (Nadia looks at him with silent contempt). I guess you can?t eat it with your gag on ? but will you promise not to yell if I take it off?
Indy unties her and after an upbraiding, she tells him that Schmidt is a valuable double-agent working with American intelligence who is about to be shot to death in a duel with the Count.
Indy: American Intelligence!? But America isn?t even in the war!
Nadia: You think that matters a red cent?
Indy: But ? how come we didn?t know?
Nadia:
You want it published in a newsletter? There was no NEED for you to know. There was no need for ANYONE to know! This is espionage!
Indy: You could just be saying this.
Nadia:
I could, but I?m not. Now untie me immediately and let?s get this mess sorted out.
[?]
Indy: Not until I?ve talked to my friends.
Nadia: Well take me with you. You haven?t got the sense to convince them on your own.
Indy: Well?
Nadia: NOW!

At Allied spy HQ, the spies get confirmation that Nadia is telling the truth across the wire while she is still bound and gagged.

Cunningham: Madam ? we owe you an apology.
Nadia: You?ll owe Colonel Schmidt more than an apology if you don?t get a move on, you dithering English clown! According to that clock he has thirty five minutes before the Count of Toledo starts shooting him. And, in case you hadn?t bothered to check this, the Count of Toledo is generally acknowledged to be the best shot in Iberia!
Charles
(gallantly): Madam ? you may rely on us to prevent this misfeurtune from occurring.
Nadia: I would rather rely on a pack of Barbary apes.

Indy: But if Colonel Schmidt is really an American agent why doesn?t he just refuse to fight?
Nadia: And entirely destroy his credibility with the Germans?
Marcello: To say nothing of the Spaniards. When they hear of such a disgrace Berlin would recall him at once.
While trying to come up with a way out, Marcello suggests releasing the bulls.
Charles (leaping up): I have it ? I?ve just remembered: There is a beekeeper with several hives of ferocious beus just around the corner from ? (Nadia cuts him off).

The gang makes it to the bullring and Nadia runs up to Schmidt and the Count.
Nadia (leaping out of the car, waving the letter): Stop! Count! I have proof here that the enemies of Spain and Germany have been at work!

(My note: How then, would the count be cool with the Allied Spies for all their intrigue and meddling?!)

The scene pulls out of the bullring and Old Indy gets the last word before returning to the scene in the classroom:
Old Indy (voice over): And that pretty much sums it up. It was a jolly good effort, we were right back where we started ? thus proving the concept, which I explained at the start of this talk, that anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong? Except ? well, you know something? The Spaniards, wise people that they were, never came into World War One on EITHER side. I think there?s a lesson there? Somewhere.

:hat:

micsteam

Currently working on acquiring Japanese LDs of the unedited version from '93. I will let members know when that happens and be happy to help those interested. Happy New Year ALL !!!! :hat: