General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

RedeemedChild

As far as the subjects of 'Western' and 'Sci-Fi' I think that Spielberg and Lucas will definitely avoid both of those in light of the fate of Cowboys and Aliens. I don't think things went to well and no one wants to blatantly head that way again. And even if Sci-Fi isn't limited to Aliens I just don't want to head that way again after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull although Atlantis is one of my favorite subjects.

In terms of Fantasy, that might be a better direction especially if they go down the road of Historical Fantasy. I could easily see something like the Stone of Scone, Stonehenge, The Trojan Horse, Poseidon's Trident or Zeus's Lightning Bolt working. On the latter one you might be scratching your head but after having read up on Ancient Greece and watching Ancient Aliens on History Channel it might not be to hard to tie-in the Lightning Bolt of Zeus with some other-worldly power source ala the Power Crystals of Atlantis.

Noir is also a path that would be perfect in Indiana Jones although I think it might come off as being a little awkward sort of like the Star Trek TNG episode with the Enterprise crew encountering the Mob in the Holodeck was totally awkward but as Drifter has said it need not be rooted in reality.

Mystery
I'd love to see Indiana Jones heading off to Egypt to deal with the mystery of the Pyramids and a mysterious lost artifact that could be something like Pharaoh's Crown or The Book of Death.

The Drifter

RedeemedChild said:
As far as the subjects of 'Western' and 'Sci-Fi' I think that Spielberg and Lucas will definitely avoid both of those in light of the fate of Cowboys and Aliens. I don't think things went to well and no one wants to blatantly head that way again. And even if Sci-Fi isn't limited to Aliens I just don't want to head that way again after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull although Atlantis is one of my favorite subjects.

Of course they will avoid them, but it's still fun to think about things that could be. Now, I don't think they'll avoid those subjects because of Cowboys and Aliens, but just because they've already been used to an extent.
But, I would see my idea about The Outback working if done right. And that could have enough elements of a classic Western to warrant it one also.

In terms of Fantasy, that might be a better direction especially if they go down the road of Historical Fantasy. I could easily see something like the Stone of Scone, Stonehenge, The Trojan Horse, Poseidon's Trident or Zeus's Lightning Bolt working. On the latter one you might be scratching your head but after having read up on Ancient Greece and watching Ancient Aliens on History Channel it might not be to hard to tie-in the Lightning Bolt of Zeus with some other-worldly power source ala the Power Crystals of Atlantis.

I agree with you, Redeemed.
I find that this would be an interesting choice, and chock full of material and ideas. Fantasy is more than just elves and dragons. There are countless legends, and myths out there for the series to explore. Besides having the general groundwork covered, what type of fantasy elements could we see?
Because if we just brush off Indy looking for something from myth and legend as fantasy, it could be argued that everyone of movies is fantasy also.
It would need more influence to difference itself to that genre of film.

Noir is also a path that would be perfect in Indiana Jones although I think it might come off as being a little awkward sort of like the Star Trek TNG episode with the Enterprise crew encountering the Mob in the Holodeck was totally awkward but as Drifter has said it need not be rooted in reality.

I don't understand...
You say that this is a path that would be perfect in Indiana Jones, but then you say you'd think it would come off as being awkward.

Mystery
I'd love to see Indiana Jones heading off to Egypt to deal with the mystery of the Pyramids and a mysterious lost artifact that could be something like Pharaoh's Crown or The Book of Death.

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, and this idea could blend very well with horror.

RedeemedChild

@The Drifter, well I said that it could come off as awkward because I simply don't see how the Mafia that we know of the 1950's and sixties could actually fit into the world of an archaeologist without raising a few eyebrows unless they'd be pursuing an artifact (MacGuffin) for some strange reason.

Magus Celtic Ankh
capricornslair_2088_186429978.jpg

Perhaps the Mafia type fraction could be tied into an occult organization such as Wiccans which (for example) could be after The Ankh of Power and seeking to use it for some nefarious scheme.

The Drifter

Film noir doesn't have to be about the Mafia, Redeemed. It's basically a highly-stylized crime drama with dark undertones.
I think it's more of an art choice than anything. To me noir is the highly contrasting of lights and shadows, and dark and bright. Even the stories are highly artistic.

RedeemedChild

The Drifter said:
Film noir doesn't have to be about the Mafia, Redeemed. It's basically a highly-stylized crime drama with dark undertones.
I think it's more of an art choice than anything. To me noir is the highly contrasting of lights and shadows, and dark and bright. Even the stories are highly artistic.

Yes, I know because things like The Twilight Zone, Route 66, Peter Gunn and Perry Mason are true Classic Noir and I guess what I should written in my above post was 'Crime' and not Noir.

The Drifter

RedeemedChild said:
Yes, I know because things like The Twilight Zone, Route 66, Peter Gunn and Perry Mason are true Classic Noir and I guess what I should written in my above post was 'Crime' and not Noir.

I think crime, noir, mystery, and even thriller could go hand-in-hand. Same as I think mystery, thriller and horror does.
If one thinks hard enough throughout all the Indy films, there are small aspects of about every genre,
But, which would you like to see them focus on more?

RedeemedChild

The Drifter said:
I think crime, noir, mystery, and even thriller could go hand-in-hand. Same as I think mystery, thriller and horror does.
If one thinks hard enough throughout all the Indy films, there are small aspects of about every genre,
But, which would you like to see them focus on more?

I'd like to see them focus more on mystery, thriller and historical fantasy. If Spielberg and Lucas chose to put a bit of the supernatural in the mix as each Indiana Jones film up unto this point has had the spiritual (Raiders of the Lost Ark) and supernatural play a key role in the films (Temple of Doom) I think that things like Ankhs, Cursed Crowns or the Mask of Light are the perfect MacGuffins. It would be real exciting thing if Indiana Jones took off in search of Medusa's Head because it belonged in a Museum.

moon_tan

I'm with Mystery. A story on Egypt and the Pyramids sounds fantastic. Are you a screenwriter by chance?
They use to say their was a secret passageway near the Sphinx.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
moon_tan said:
I'm with Mystery. A story on Egypt and the Pyramids sounds fantastic. Are you a screenwriter by chance?
They use to say their was a secret passageway near the Sphinx.

That has been said, yes.

IndianaJonesAndTheSecretOfTheSphinx.jpg

I must confess, I'm against the notion of going back to Egypt. We did that already, and I think the desert has been exhausted for Indy-style action.

Attila the Professor said:
I must confess, I'm against the notion of going back to Egypt. We did that already, and I think the desert has been exhausted for Indy-style action.
Under the desert could be interesting...and the Gobi awaits. Though it shouldn't be the focus, merely a stop along the way.

A network of ancient rivers and streams that once flowed beneath Australia's Simpson desert – famed for its dune fields – has been mapped in a new study. The map could lead the way to valuable minerals and water resources in this drying continent

Would be a nice unexpected change...you start out forsaken in the barren wasteland and end up riding the currents to more caves, treasure, people, animals ect.

RedeemedChild

@ Attila, I starting reading that book Indiana Jones and the Sphinx and it was very good I haven't finished it though. I picked it up in a library in Havelock, NC back in 2007 but now that I live in Atlanta, GA the libraries here don't seem to have very many Indiana Jones books sadly.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Under the desert could be interesting...and the Gobi awaits. Though it shouldn't be the focus, merely a stop along the way.

Would be a nice unexpected change...you start out forsaken in the barren wasteland and end up riding the currents to more caves, treasure, people, animals ect.

Yes, I like this idea a lot. (y)

Are there zombies? Tell me there's zombies, too! ;)

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:

Sounds like Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Stoo

But to this: give it a rest, will ya?
Aren't you even the slightest bit curious to know the reason behind the bizarre, 17 month gap?:confused: Thus far, it's been All Quiet on the Redeemed Front...(insert: cricket sound effect)
Anything to say about the rumor, Stoo?
What is there to say besides, "Same stuff. Different day"? I don't see the point in over-analyzing every word of Spielberg's latest statements. In this thread's poll, I voted: "Maybe...but not today".
Redeemed Child said:
@Stoo, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd stop making me fun of my old behavior. I'm not in a laughing mood as I'm quite serious about the future of the Indiana Jones franchise.
RedeemedChild said:
@ Attila, I starting reading that book Indiana Jones and the Sphinx and it was very good I haven't finished it though. I picked it up in a library in Havelock, NC back in 2007 but now that I live in Atlanta, GA the libraries here don't seem to have very many Indiana Jones books sadly.
Child, you obviously aren't "serious" enough about the Indy franchise to spend much money on it. You may own a couple of LEGO video games but didn't even pay a visit to your local cinema and cough up some ca$h for a movie ticket or go to a bookstore and buy one of the novels, etc. You are the LAST person who should be complaining about the lack of news. Freeloaders aren't the folks who companie$ have in mind when they con$ider putting out new Indy product.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Aren't you even the slightest bit curious to know the reason behind the bizarre, 17 month gap?:confused: Thus far, it's been All Quiet on the Redeemed Front...

A little bit, but not much. I'm more curious what else he might have to say about Indiana Jones, and that prevents me from being engaged in the trivia.

Stoo said:
(insert: cricket sound effect)What is there to say besides, "Same stuff. Different day"? I don't see the point in over-analyzing every word of Spielberg's latest statements. In this thread's poll, I voted: "Maybe...but not today".

I don't know. I think there's a little more to this than that. Sure, a lot has been said, but there's more specificity to these statements than others. Aren' t you even the slightest bit curious to know the reason behind Spielberg's bizarre word choice and subsequent revision?

Stoo

A little bit, but not much. I'm more curious what else he might have to say about Indiana Jones, and that prevents me from being engaged in the trivia.
Re. Curious about what Child might have to say about Indiana Jones: Is that for the sake of sheer amusement, bewilderment or both?:confused: The unexplained reason behind his 17 month delay is puzzling when you take into account how he much pines for a 5th movie & the future of "the franchise". It's a paradox of immeasurable proportions.:eek:
Aren' t you even the slightest bit curious to know the reason behind Spielberg's bizarre word choice and subsequent revision?
No, I'm not curious because I am familiar enough, with Spielbergian parlance, to not take Steven's words at face value. Much ado about nothing, in my view.;)

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
Yes, I like this idea a lot. (y)

Are there zombies? Tell me there's zombies, too! ;)

Man, that's beyond exciting! I mean Indiana Jones and Zombies? I'd be all over that. Ya, I totally digg the idea of a Indiana Jones adventure set under the surface of the desert. Forsaken Barren Wasteland? Crap that is cool!

@Stoo, For your fracking information I do INDEED buy Indiana Jones merchandise! However, in the way of books I often check them out from the library simply to get a feel and see what it's like before I lay down my money for it. And I don't just do that for Indiana Jones only but for most everything be it a text books, novels, non-fiction or comics before I buy it.

Also, FYI I was away for 17 months because I busy studying and then I had to go Washington DC and deal with personal matters.

Indy's brother

As far as Spielberg's predictibly murky comments. I think both Stoo and Attila are right. Yes, it's the same old crap, but "genre" is an odd word choice. Since we have nothing else new to talk about, why not pick it apart. It could be read into that SS meant genre in the way of "what kind of religion/mystical force", which in turn sounds like yes indeed, they have chosen a macguffin. Of course, I thought that they had already chosen one. As of March 26, 2011, Karen Allen had this to say:

What I know is that there’s a story that they like, which is huge step forward. I heard this about six months ago that they have a story that they like and they’re working on it.

So if a person were to take everything at face value, then it sounds like they have a plot and a macguffin. Of course, no one has been hired to write the thing as of yet.

Unless George is writing it himself just to spite the world. Which sounds like him a bit, actually.