Indy 5 news 2018

Face_Melt

Dr.Sartorius said:
When it comes to SW and Indy, yep he's a huge draw. I wish they hired Kasdan first. :mad:

Agreed. All we can do now is cross our fingers this film actually still happens.

Raiders90

Koepp and Kaminski should be banished from any Indy related projects. This is my issue with Spielberg, he has become complacent in his old age, settling for mediocre screenwriters and such simply because he is comfortable with them. Koepp has always been a cheap hack.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Koepp and Kaminski should be banished from any Indy related projects. This is my issue with Spielberg, he has become complacent in his old age, settling for mediocre screenwriters and such simply because he is comfortable with them. Koepp has always been a cheap hack.

...said the man who harasses me about the ageing Ford.

moon_tan

Face_Palm said:
While it is true something could happen to Harrison any day, his father did live to be 92 years old and his mother lived to be 87. So longevity is in his family and he is probably in much better health and strength than they were. He certainly can afford better healthcare as well. I?m not worried about Harrison, but these delays are getting really annoying.

I like your post #294, Face_Palm. Spielberg is 70 with only one kidney. He needs to stay in good health too.

Face_Melt

moon_tan said:
I like your post #294, Face_Palm. Spielberg is 70 with only one kidney. He needs to stay in good health too.

I didn?t know he only had one kidney, good news is Spielbergs father is still around too. He?s 101 or something I believe...

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
...said the man who harasses me about the ageing Ford.

Because I think that Ford was the best thing about KOTCS, TFA and Blade Runner 49. I don't honestly see Ford's age, with today's technology, as a major hinder. You'd have to have a more nuanced film perhaps, with more clever action, and it could be equally as exciting as the first three. But Spielberg to me is the weak link here. An uninspired and uninterested director to me is much, much worse than an aged but enthusiastic star. Also, Ford may be old but he still has heart, vigor. He's a gruff old man. He still has his charisma. Whereas Spielberg is a sentimental old man whose powers are a shadow of their former glory. Give Ford a good script and he still does the job. Spielberg hasn't done a memorable film in about 20 years.

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:
Yes. Fury Road was a reboot and enough time had passed from the last lackluster movie to present to erase the bad taste and let nostalgia set in. That sailed on pure nostalgia and it was also so long that it was also like a new thing, attracting non-fans of the originals even. Indy 4 came out only ten years ago, had a despised final outing, and we're mostly talking about either a sequel starring the same guy or a prequel in the same continuity. Waiting another half decade or decade and doing a full reboot is probably the best course.

The safest course is a full reboot with a new creative team IMO. Jurassic World being an example of this.

Jurassic World is not a reboot at all, JP 1, 2 and 3 are still canon.

seasider

Raiders112390 said:
Because I think that Ford was the best thing about KOTCS, TFA and Blade Runner 49. I don't honestly see Ford's age, with today's technology, as a major hinder. You'd have to have a more nuanced film perhaps, with more clever action, and it could be equally as exciting as the first three. But Spielberg to me is the weak link here. An uninspired and uninterested director to me is much, much worse than an aged but enthusiastic star. Also, Ford may be old but he still has heart, vigor. He's a gruff old man. He still has his charisma. Whereas Spielberg is a sentimental old man whose powers are a shadow of their former glory. Give Ford a good script and he still does the job. Spielberg hasn't done a memorable film in about 20 years.
You could say the same thing about most veteran filmmakers. It doesn't mean they're still not capable of delivering. Obviously, Spielberg is not the filmmaker he was back in the 80's but even in his 70's he's still light years ahead of most directors in Hollywood.

But seeing as Spielberg is apparently the weak link. Who would you rather see in the director's chair then?

Toht's Arm

Fingers crossed that "delay" is an overstatement. Unless it's a page-one rewrite, I don't see why the next nine months isn't enough time to polish a script. It only causes problems if the rewrites are significant enough that any pre-production plans have to change.

Two things that have come up in the past few days of flurried conversation here:

1) I don't get why people keep suggesting Pratt as a possible replacement. The guy's 39 right now. There's no way Disney would be recasting with someone that old...

2) Surely Lucas has nothing to do with this... I can't imagine he's the reason for any rewrites.

Face_Melt

Toht's Arm said:
Fingers crossed that "delay" is an overstatement. Unless it's a page-one rewrite, I don't see why the next nine months isn't enough time to polish a script. It only causes problems if the rewrites are significant enough that any pre-production plans have to change.

Two things that have come up in the past few days of flurried conversation here:

1) I don't get why people keep suggesting Pratt as a possible replacement. The guy's 39 right now. There's no way Disney would be recasting with someone that old...

2) Surely Lucas has nothing to do with this... I can't imagine he's the reason for any rewrites.

I disagree with Pratt as a choice, but Harrison was 39 during filming of Raiders. One can only assume the new Indiana Jones would be about the same age. Nobody really wants to see an Indy in his 20?s.

TheFirebird1

Toht's Arm said:
Fingers crossed that "delay" is an overstatement. Unless it's a page-one rewrite, I don't see why the next nine months isn't enough time to polish a script. It only causes problems if the rewrites are significant enough that any pre-production plans have to change...2) Surely Lucas has nothing to do with this... I can't imagine he's the reason for any rewrites.
I don't think Kasdan's involvement is going to seriously delay production--according to Ford back in October 2017, Koepp had a script finished, so it's most likely that Kasdan is stepping in to simply finish up a revised draft Koepp was working on before he left the project.
And as for your second point, I agree. Lucas isn't even involved in the project anymore, so it's hard to believe that he has anything to do with any rewrites or script changes, unless if he somehow reentered the project.

Face_Melt

TheFirebird1 said:
I don't think Kasdan's involvement is going to seriously delay production--according to Ford back in October 2017, Koepp had a script finished, so it's most likely that Kasdan is stepping in to simply finish up a revised draft Koepp was working on before he left the project.
And as for your second point, I agree. Lucas isn't even involved in the project anymore, so it's hard to believe that he has anything to do with any rewrites or script changes, unless if he somehow reentered the project.

That article is back from 2016, and Spielberg has clarified this since that time:

“George is going to be an executive producer on it with me,” he announced in June. “Of course I would never make an Indiana Jones film without George Lucas. That would be insane.“

deepermagic

I had a little freak out theory I wanted to share with you all...

If my original theory is correct, that Kennedy and the top dawgs at Lucasfilms continues to be the reason why writers/directors/etc are in constant flux in the Star Wars Universe, and that's the reason why Koepp is out and Jr. Kasdan is in...

And we know that Koepp has specifically said, "the Shia LaBeouf character is not in the film"...

Freak Out Theory: Script is needing a rewrite because Shia LaBeouf is back!

:sick:

deepermagic

On the flip side, Kathleen Kennedy may be losing her job and they are rewriting a script that was heavily influenced by her... that'd be a better scenario

:whip:

Olliana

I don't want Kennedy near any creative decision being made. Her constant gender pushing is real and it's not even funny anymore. I prefer a good story.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Olliana said:
Her constant gender pushing is real and it's not even funny anymore.

You don't say...

5a72c2c7aa1ac.jpeg

___
EDIT: resize

Last edited:

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
I disagree with Pratt as a choice, but Harrison was 39 during filming of Raiders. One can only assume the new Indiana Jones would be about the same age. Nobody really wants to see an Indy in his 20?s.
There's a lot of daylight between 20 and 39.
An actor in his early 30s would be the right choice, good for several movies.
deepermagic said:
Freak Out Theory: Script is needing a rewrite because Shia LaBeouf is back!
Fear not.
There's no way Shia would take the part, even if Spielberg were interested (which is highly unlikely).