Cité de la Foudre

Icybro

Hi folks, I'm new here but I thought you might appreciate these scans . . . and I could use some help translating. ;)

ijcf00.jpg

ijcf01.jpg

ijcf02.jpg

ijcf03.jpg

ijcf04.jpg

ijcf05.jpg

ijcf06.jpg

ijcf07.jpg

ijcf08.jpg

ijcf09.jpg

ijcf10.jpg

ijcf11.jpg

ijcf12.jpg

ijcf13.jpg

ijcf14.jpg

ijcf15.jpg

ijcf16.jpg

ijcf17.jpg

ijcf18.jpg

ijcf19.jpg

ijcf20.jpg

ijcf21.jpg

ijcf22.jpg

ijcf23.jpg

ijcf24.jpg

ijcf25.jpg

ijcf26.jpg

ijcf27.jpg

ijcf28.jpg

ijcf29.jpg

ijcf30.jpg

ijcf31.jpg

ijcf32.jpg

ijcf33.jpg

ijcf34.jpg

ijcf35.jpg

ijcf36.jpg

ijcf37.jpg

ijcf38.jpg

ijcf39.jpg

ijcf40.jpg

ijcf41.jpg

ijcf42.jpg

ijcf43.jpg

ijcf44.jpg

ijcf45.jpg

ijcf46.jpg

ijcf47.jpg

ijcf48.jpg

DIrishB

Heh...and just as me and Stoo were about to start posting the translated version. He'll be glad to see this (he's been looking for the Shell version cover).

I do want to mention, though, that much like the first French Bagheera Indy comics, the Shell reprint version also seems to be missing the first four pages of story. I have the Bagheera version, and it opens with Indy asleep on a train, being awoken to cries of help from the next door cabin. He jumps up to help and gets into an altercation with some guys attempting to kidnap (?) a woman. I'll post them here so you can see. I just emailed Stoo the first ten pages so he could begin translating, so we'll get the translated versions up soon.

Also, Icybro, you should change those images into links so as not to take up a bunch of disk space. The mods might have a problem with this thread because of all the images. Changing them to links to the images instead of the images themselves seems to prevent the threads from being deleted by the mods.

Icybro

DIrishB said:
Also, Icybro, you should change those images into links so as not to take up a bunch of disk space. The mods might have a problem with this thread because of all the images. Changing them to links to the images instead of the images themselves seems to prevent the threads from being deleted by the mods.

Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted. :eek: Can I edit it directly? Or should I start a new post with links instead of images?

Also: sorry, I didn't mean to steal you and Stoo's thunder. I can't wait to read your translation!

DIrishB

Icybro said:
Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted. :eek: Can I edit it directly? Or should I start a new post with links instead of images?

The Edit feature disappears on your posts after 10 minutes or so. I say leave it as is for now. We posted scans in the Secret de la Pyramid thread and its still around. If they delete it, just make a new one with the links instead. But for now I think its ok.

Also: sorry, I didn't mean to steal you and Stoo's thunder. I can't wait to read your translation!

Its no problem. In fact, I know Stoo's been looking for a nice scan of the Shell cover version of this one, so I know he'll be pleased. And you saved me the trouble of scanning the pages!

indyclone25

and it looks like they may have edited something in the shell comics --- it looks as if the dancing girl that that indy and marya save, clothes escpecially her top has been torn and the took off some of the drawing of her chest --- i'm just saying ...... cause in the france aren't they a little bit much free about nakedness?

Stoo

Icybro said:
Thanks for the tip. I wanted to make a big splash with my first post, and now it sounds like it may be deleted.
...and what a spalsh it is. Much better than, "Hi, I'm new here!"(y) (I highly doubt your thread will be deleted.)
Welcome to The Raven, Icybro!:hat: Thanks for also scanning the first few, non-story pages.
DIrishB said:
And you saved me the trouble of scanning the pages!
You're not off the hook yet! We still need the Bagheera cover and the missing 4 pages.;) :whip:
(I never received an e-mail with the first 10. Strange.)
indyclone25 said:
and it looks like they may have edited something in the shell comics --- it looks as if the dancing girl that that indy and marya save, clothes escpecially her top has been torn and the took off some of the drawing of her chest --- i'm just saying ...... cause in the france aren't they a little bit much free about nakedness?
Not just France but Europe in general. Very interesting about the edited drawings. Good eye, indyclone!
Would be cool to use the uncensored panels for the final, translated version.

DIrishB

Stoo said:
You're not off the hook yet! We still need the Bagheera cover and the missing 4 pages.;) :whip:
(I never received an e-mail with the first 10. Strange.)

Huh...I'll try it again when I get home from work.
[/QUOTE]

Johnny Jones

So what is this anyway, a ToD prequel? India, Kali, guys who sure look a lot like Thuggees... do the French guys get to invent their own "canon" since the English Expanded Universe is less accessible to them?
BTW thanks IcyBro and welcome to the Raven!:whip:

Edit: The pics aren't showing up on my computer anymore. Anyone else having that problem?

DIrishB

IJLaCiteDeLaFoundreCover-Bagheera.jpg

IJLaCiteDeLaFoundreIntro.jpg

IJ-CdlF-Page1.jpg

IJ-CdlF-Page2.jpg

IJ-CdlF-Page3.jpg

Here's the first three pages from the Bagheera version (which came out a year or so before the Shell reprint). For some reason the Shell reprints left out the first several pages of story in each (4 in Secret de la Pyramid and 3 in this one). They also replaced the short foreward in Indy's handwriting with the longer type-written introductions featuring pictures from the films.

And most interesting of all: the original Bagheera version has the story taking place in 1930. The Shell reprint has it taking place in 1933.

I wonder if that was a mistake or intentional, and if so why they changed the years between the two versions.

I really need to track down a Bagheera version of Indiana Jones et la Secret de la Pyramid and Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit for my collection.

Johnny Jones

Thanks Irish! (Can I call you Irish?) Those pages seem to enhance the storyline... more Indy butt-kicking if nothing else!:whip:Ironic or just plain dumb that they used one of the deleted pics for the reprint cover.
indyclone25 said:
You mean in the last few pages? Yeah... that looks unnatural and wrong. If they wanted to edit that part, they should have just drawn the rest of her clothes back in.

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:
Thanks Irish! (Can I call you Irish?)

Absolutely.

Those pages seem to enhance the storyline... more Indy butt-kicking if nothing else!:whip:Ironic or just plain dumb that they used one of the deleted pics for the reprint cover.

Yeah, they did the same thing in the Secret de la Pyramid Shell reprint too. They removed/deleted the first four pages of story for no apparent reason. This one they only removed the first three pages. And strangely enough, like this one, they use one of the panels from the second or third page as the cover for it (though its no included in the story itself)...?

Junior Jones

DIrishB said:
Stoo's working on translating them for us all. Give him a little time and we'll have the translated version here in this thread.

Now we just need to find someone who reads German and is willing to translate the Hohlbein books. (y)

DIrishB

Junior Jones said:
Now we just need to find someone who reads German and is willing to translate the Hohlbein books. (y)

Heh...I'm not holding my breath for that one. I own all 8 of the Hohlbein books, but of course haven't read them because I can't read or understand German. One day I'll get around to learning the language. ;)

Stoo

DIrishB said:
And most interesting of all: the original Bagheera version has the story taking place in 1930. The Shell reprint has it taking place in 1933.

I wonder if that was a mistake or intentional, and if so why they changed the years between the two versions.
"Interesting" and frustrating all at the same time.:confused: :mad:
DIrishB said:
Stoo's working on translating them for us all. Give him a little time and we'll have the translated version here in this thread.
Actually, I haven't even started on the translations as I'm still on vactaion (in sunny California for a wedding).:D
Will start tackling the project later this week when I'm back. Thanks for posting the missing pages & cover! Those will be first.(y)

DIrishB

Stoo said:
"Interesting" and frustrating all at the same time.:confused: :mad:

Yeah, I don't understand why they changed it. In fact, I need to change that on the Indy wikia...its listed as occurring in 1933 (which the Shell version reflects). But since the Bagheera is the original version, I think the date should reflect 1930.

Actually, I haven't even started on the translations as I'm still on vactaion (in sunny California for a wedding).:D
Will start tackling the project later this week when I'm back. Thanks for posting the missing pages & cover! Those will be first.(y)

Enjoy your vacation! Look forward to the translations! And if you need help "American-izing" any of the sayings, I'm glad to help!