Indiana Jones and the Norse Gods

Stoo

ClintonHammond said:
...I wear being on your ignore list, like a badge of honour.
Ha ha! Considering you just replied to him, I think it's time you turned in your badge, sheriff!:)

Have you ever seen "Island at the Top of the World"? The map and diary in it come from a
trader in the Hudson's Bay Company. I thought that was pretty cool (not to mention it's
a fun, adventure flick).

otto rahn

nezobiwan said:
Wow, so I'm not the only one who has issues with this guy. May I make a suggestion that I so recently followed myself?

Unless you like the confrontations--I'm only making a suggestion. Frankly, I'm getting bored and irritated with it. The ratio of useful writing and inflammatory/insulting writing that comes from CH is a bit out of balance for my tastes. Somewhere around 1:10. I'd rather waste my time having fun than getting irritated over one man's petty, meaningless comments.

It really is a shame; my first impression of the guy had me thinking he was pretty cool. :(
You know i've never HAD an "ignore list" on any message board i've ever been on. Tempting i'll admit but I probably won't do it
I can probably ignore Clint without needing to put him on a "list" (which way does he list, port or starboard ?). You never know I might want to have a laugh some time in the future ! Thanks for the suggestion however . I can understand your and others irritation and insofar as it may have been my fault I apologise. It is perhaps time we ceased flagellating this particular deceased equine and moved on to other topics !(y)

"It is perhaps time we ceased flagellating this particular deceased equine and moved on to other topics"

Just another typical passive-aggressive wanker.

Aino

Thor's Hammer??? Behhhh NONONO!

I am an archaeologist married to a scandinavian. I spend a great deal of time in Scandinavia. I am quite well versed int he mythology. But even more so on the Finnish myths. Have you all ever heard of the Kalevala? I suggest that you get a translation of it. It is infact what Lord Of The Rings is based on.

In this Kalevala legend (Pieces of which atleast appear to date back as far as the last ice age) It is about this thing an object that was created to win the hand of a beautiful princess of the north. But ultimately, it had to be brought back to the err south i guess you could say. This object, was called the Sampo. The cool part about it is no one is sure what exactly it was or what it looked like or what it's purpose was though it is suspected that it was a mill. Included in this myth, is the story of how one of the most beautiful instruments ever known was created (the Kantele, the finnish national instrument) It is a bit like a dulcimer. It is from these myths that i took the name by which you all now know me.

When Finland took it's independence from Russia courtesy of good old Mannerheim, it was finnish sizu that was ultimately the force that freed a nation. But, it was the Kalevala that was the rallying cry to arms, it was the substance that brought a people together to demand and take by force the freedom that was theirs. I personally can't imagine anything more interesting than a story about the finding of the core point of the Kalevala, the Sampo. (today it is an insurance company. How sad and lame is that?) Now i am going to swim away and let you all continue discussing this you will understand why i say swim if you take the time to check out the Kalevala.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Don Karnage said:
The ring of the Nibelungs *is* Andvarranaut. The historicalness comes from some fabled treasure of the Burgandians which factors into the saga in a small way. Gram is Sigurds sword. It was given by Odin to Sigmundr (he was the only one who could pull it out of a tree stump) but it broke and Sigmundr died and eventually Regin reforged it for Sigmunds son, Sigurdr.

And yes, i do enjoy Tolkiens stories. I enjoy them even more when I compaire it to the source material that gave him inspiration.
ninepinejones said:
Speaking of Tolkien I was Hitchhiking in Scotland and this guy picked me up in his tiny rickity car, his accent was strong and he spoke fast but he told me a fascinating story about how his grandfather used to rent a cabin to Tolkien in his Oxford days. Tolkien would go out there with his college buddies and write poems sip tea and smoke longleaf pipe weed. Then one day Tolkien demanded that no one was allowed to join him at the cabin and to not disturb him. When this mans Grandfather asked him why he said something to the fact that he was conversing with an ancient nature spirit who was telling him an important tale concerning the lost connection between man and nature. All I thought when he was telling me this was "Wow, that must have been some great Longbottom leaf from the shire."
A great Indy story could begin with consulting Tolkien in the early 1930s at Oxford before searching for the Andvaranaut. A 4-part comic, structured after Wagner's Ring Cycle.