Deleted scenes

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Stoo, on your first quote from Discolad. I think he was trying to quote What Truck?'s post.

Yea Stoo, I was. I am bad a quoting so it came out wrong.
I would like it if you would stop taking swings at me. :p

digitalfreaknyc

Stoo said:
Thanks to whichever moderator merged the 2 Deleted Scenes threads.:hat:

On the IndyCast Flicker page there's 2 photos of Indy, Willie & Shorty by the edge of the lava pit in the main chamber. In one of them Shorty is crossing the pit on a burning, wooden plank and Indy & Willie are grabbing him as it breaks. Pretty freaking cool (or hot, I should say)!

@Rocket: Where did you find these photos?:confused:

The one that shows them actually crossing was from, I believe, a Lucas biography. It was a 2 page full-color large photo. It shocked the hell out of me when I saw it. I don't think it's been published anywhere else.

Stoo

Thanks for the reply, Freak.:hat: Yes, it shocked the hell out of me, as well! Anyone know which Lucas biography?:confused: The photo on the IndyCast page doesn't look like a 2-page spread so it might have been published elsewhere and the Lucas bio must have a sharper picture.

The shot where Shorty is crossing the plank was reversed so I've flipped it to show how the scene would've most likely played out. Here they are in all their glory (images courtesy of 'Trivia Guru Pat' on the IndyCast Flicker page). AWESOME find!(y)

[
DeletedScenes_Doom_03-1.jpg

DeletedScenes_Doom_02.jpg

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
61IRKedd-EL.jpg

The first picture (the coloured one) was published at Charles Champlin's book "George Lucas: The Creative Impulse - Lucasfilm's First Twenty Years" in 1992. The picture was spread across two pages and was blur. Perhaps that is the reason why five years later when they published a revised and updated edition, called "George Lucas: The Creative Impulse - Lucasfilm's First Twenty-Five Years" :) the picture was substituted by one of Short Round fighting Thugees with a torch. The second picture (b&w) I have only saw it at a French film book that I've forgotten its name many years ago. Actually, I had borrowed that book from the library of the French Institute in Athens through my sister. The rumor that upon it's return the book lacked a page has never been substantiated.

Anyway, both pictures (already part of the deleted scenes page at theraider.net and scanned by yours truely) come from a deleted scene where Indy and co. help the indian children to cross the lava chasm with a plank. That's how the children find their way to the palace interior. Unfortunately, when it is Short Round's turn to cross the chasm the plank is ablaze forcing our heroes to go back through the mines. In J.W. Rinzler's "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films" you can see a picture of Indy helping the kids cross the chasm at page 155.

Stoo said:
Thanks for the reply, Freak.:hat: Yes, it shocked the hell out of me, as well! Anyone know which Lucas biography?:confused: The photo on the IndyCast page doesn't look like a 2-page spread so it might have been published elsewhere and the Lucas bio must have a sharper picture.

The shot where Shorty is crossing the plank was reversed so I've flipped it to show how the scene would've most likely played out. Here they are in all their glory (images courtesy of 'Trivia Guru Pat' on the IndyCast Flicker page). AWESOME find!(y)

[
DeletedScenes_Doom_03-1.jpg

DeletedScenes_Doom_02.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

Sakis said:
The first picture (the coloured one) was published at Charles Champlin's book "George Lucas: The Creative Impulse - Lucasfilm's First Twenty Years" in 1992. The picture was spread across two pages and was blur.
Thanks a lot for the info as to its source, Sakis.:hat: I never bought either edition of that book. You mention that the original photo is blurry but this image still doesn't look like it's from a 2-page spread. Did you fix it up and remove the crease in the middle?:confused:
Sakis said:
The second picture (b&w) I have only saw it at a French film book that I've forgotten its name many years ago. Actually, I had borrowed that book from the library of the French Institute in Athens through my sister. The rumor that upon it's return the book lacked a page has never been substantiated.
You butcher!:p:whip:
Sakis said:
Anyway, both pictures (already part of the deleted scenes page at theraider.net and scanned by yours truely)
Oops! I should have known that and have obviously seen them before but completely forgot.:eek: That's probably where the IndyCast's 'Trivia Guru Pat' got the pictures from.
Sakis said:
In J.W. Rinzler's "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films" you can see a picture of Indy helping the kids cross the chasm at page 155.
"Na se kala.";) Thanks. I see it now and it's a good one. Still haven't read the whole book and there's so much good stuff in there that I never noticed the photo. You should definitely add it to the Raider.net deleted scenes page, Sakis (AND reverse/flip the colour one of Shorty crossing the plank since it's backwards)!

Now, this raises a question: Where did the plank come from? There's some elaborate carving on it. Can it be seen somewhere in any other shots of the film?:confused:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I never bought either edition of that book.

I have the book, but I'd have to check which edition it was.

Stoo said:
Now, this raises a question: Where did the plank come from? There's some elaborate carving on it. Can it be seen somewhere in any other shots of the film?:confused:

James Kahn's novelization may hold the answer:

"Indy, Willie, and some of the bigger children tore down a long wooden plank from the altar, one of the decorative elements flanking the giant statue, carved with myriad hideous figures of Kali and her atrocities. When it had fallen to the ground, they carried it to the edge of the natural chasm separating the altar from the rest of the temple, the last barrier to freedom."

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
The picture is spread across 2 pages but the one side covers a whole page while the covers about 1/4. And yes I did used some photoshop.

As for your question Montana Smith has already answered that.

Get back to that book of yours you still have a lot to learn. :D

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
James Kahn's novelization may hold the answer:
Indeed, that's what the novel says but I can't see anything that resembles the plank's carved design near the altar nor anywhere in the main chamber. (Although it does have a skull that looks quite like the one engraved into the doors of the sacrificial pit.) Check out the photo in the "Complete Making of" book for a better look at the plank.
Sakis said:
The picture is spread across 2 pages but the one side covers a whole page while the covers about 1/4. And yes I did used some photoshop.

As for your question Montana Smith has already answered that.
Unfortunately, he didn't. (No offense to Montana Smiffy.;)) Extra details in the novel don't always match up with what is seen in the film. I'm wondering if maybe the plank was taken from inside the mines since Indy & Co. had to go back there in order to free the children before returning to the main chamber for their escape.

I can see where you fixed the photo. The white blobs that run down vertically on the right side of the picture (in the proper, flipped version above) just to the left of the top torch down to the break in the plank.
Sakis said:
Get back to that book of yours you still have a lot to learn. :D
Not as much as some other people who like to hang out at The Raven.:p

Sakis said:
The first picture (the coloured one) was published at Charles Champlin's book "George Lucas: The Creative Impulse - Lucasfilm's First Twenty Years" in 1992. The picture was spread across two pages and was blur. Perhaps that is the reason why five years later when they published a revised and updated edition, called "George Lucas: The Creative Impulse - Lucasfilm's First Twenty-Five Years" :) the picture was substituted by one of Short Round fighting Thugees with a torch. The second picture (b&w) I have only saw it at a French film book that I've forgotten its name many years ago. Actually, I had borrowed that book from the library of the French Institute in Athens through my sister. The rumor that upon it's return the book lacked a page has never been substantiated.

Anyway, both pictures (already part of the deleted scenes page at theraider.net and scanned by yours truely) come from a deleted scene where Indy and co. help the indian children to cross the lava chasm with a plank. That's how the children find their way to the palace interior. Unfortunately, when it is Short Round's turn to cross the chasm the plank is ablaze forcing our heroes to go back through the mines. In J.W. Rinzler's "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films" you can see a picture of Indy helping the kids cross the chasm at page 155.

It may be the same pic, (the internet is incestuous), though I didn't pluck it from The Raider.net. Since this conversation heated up, I've been looking through various bookmarks for the link. I will post it when I find it, however it's from a site I stumbled upon which was host to a well of Paramount Pictures stills. I'm affraid until I recover it, I can't explain it any better...life goes on.:hat:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
It may be the same pic, (the internet is incestuous), though I didn't pluck it from The Raider.net. Since this conversation heated up, I've been looking through various bookmarks for the link. I will post it when I find it, however it's from a site I stumbled upon which was host to a well of Paramount Pictures stills. I'm affraid until I recover it, I can't explain it any better...life goes on.:hat:
Without any doubt, it is indeed the same picture. The site you found it on took the image (and most likely the b&w one, too) from TheRaider.net. How do I know? They both share the same tell-tale signs of Sakis' Photoshop job where he joined the 2 pages together:

DeletedScenes_Doom_02Detail.jpg

Rocket Surgeon said:
Since this conversation heated up...
Would be nice if there was more conversation. How sad is it that "Whatcha playin? (In Video Games Wise.)", "Random Picture Thread" and "Post your desktop" have more activity than the subject of deleted scenes? The younger "What r u eating?" thread even has double the amount of hits as this one. Pathetic.(n)

Sakis said:
Ok, no harm is done, though I'd love to see that Paramount well!!!
I'll post a few of the pictures I downloaded...I'm workin on it, I'm workin on it! :hat:
Stoo said:
Would be nice if there was more conversation. How sad is it that "Whatcha playin? (In Video Games Wise.)", "Random Picture Thread" and "Post your desktop" have more activity than the subject of deleted scenes? The younger "What r u eating?" thread even has double the amount of hits as this one. Pathetic.(n)
I guess it's up to us. No offense, but the whole draw of saying something random about the person above, (among others) escapes me. If it was a thread frequented by the writing staff of Your Show of Shows maybe, but...:rolleyes:

It ain't easy getting old!

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'll post a few of the pictures I downloaded...I'm workin on it, I'm workin on it! :hat:

Basically, I want to see if there are any rare pictures in that well. So, quit fooling around...(y)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:

Rocket Surgeon said:
I guess it's up to us. No offense, but the whole draw of saying something random about the person above, (among others) escapes me. If it was a thread frequented by the writing staff of Your Show of Shows maybe, but...

It ain't easy getting old!

Ever felt Indy-weary? Or more specifically Raven-weary?

I descended into the decadence of posting silly pictures and poking fun at silly threads. Then I was going to give up on this place, and break the addiction. But it keeps calling me back.

My Indy-mojo, however, is still weak and flat-lining...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:

I descended into the decadence of posting silly pictures and poking fun at silly threads. Then I was going to give up on this place, and break the addiction. But it keeps calling me back.

Don't blame me, I tried to fuel the Indy V rumor mill.

Montana Smith said:
Sure. But in trying to create something new I usually come across something that gets the adrenaline running again!

Montana Smith said:
I descended into the decadence of posting silly pictures and poking fun at silly threads.
I've posted all sorts of crazy things to mix it up, some good, some not so. When the non-Indy stuff begins to flood The Raven...(n)

Montana Smith said:
Then I was going to give up on this place, and break the addiction. But it keeps calling me back.
What's the draw?

Montana Smith said:
You have to contribute more...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sure. But in trying to create something new I usually come across something that gets the adrenaline running again!

That's a fact. You never know what's going to kick-start the interest again.

Rocket Surgeon said:
I've posted all sorts of crazy things to mix it up, some good, some not so. When the non-Indy stuff begins to flood The Raven...(n)

That's when the decadent mood kicks in - I feel the urge to create chaos. There are times when all the hot subjects are so completely estranged from the purpose of the Raven, that I wonder what I'm doing here. Not that a little bit of the other isn't welcome!

Rocket Surgeon said:
What's the draw?

There's an elite band of dedicated Indy fans, with fascinating and funny things to share. It makes it hard to stay away too long.

Rocket Surgeon said:
You have to contribute more...

Like pushing my daily post count above 8? :eek:

Indy's brother

From LC:

Harrison-Ford-as-Indiana--001.jpg

I certainly don't recognize this from the film, but there's the necktie. The page that it came from doesn't say anything specific about it.

The only scene that it looks like is the part where he whips onto Sr.'s leg while they are on the tank, but there wasn't any foliage in that shot.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
From LC:

Harrison-Ford-as-Indiana--001.jpg

I certainly don't recognize this from the film, but there's the necktie. The page that it came from doesn't say anything specific about it.

The only scene that it looks like is the part where he whips onto Sr.'s leg while they are on the tank, but there wasn't any foliage in that shot.

It's only a publicity shot, maybe taken on location like this one.
79987675.jpg

And by the way, here is a bigger one of yours plus a bonus.:hat:
tlc-2026.jpg

tlc-2027.jpg

Last edited: