Where would you hunt for treasure?

KL70

Where in the real world would you most like to hunt for treasure
(if you had Indy's unique skills) and please say why.

The Tingler

Babylon. One of the most historic cities in the world, never excavated because it's still in the middle of a warzone.

Or the Emperor's Tomb in Xi'an, China. That's still sealed and must be frickin' amazing! There's supposed to be crossbow traps and everything!

Or maybe even the Great Pyramid of Giza. There's still something hidden in the inaccessible upper floors!

ValenciaGrail

I'd go wherever some serious demolition was needed.

Indy's best skills are as a bull in a china shop..a partial resume:

- Chachapoyan temple ROTLA - reduced to rubble
- The Raven pub in Nepal - burned to the ground (Ok, not an archaeological site....)
- Well of Souls - bashes hole in wall with ancient statue

- Venice Library - breaks hole in floor
- Venice tomb: smashes through 1000 year old wall,
descecrates tomb by using femur
as torch, overturns & destroys knight's coffin
- Grail Temple - smashed to bits (although it's not fair to pin this one just on him)

Jens

The Tingler said:
Babylon. One of the most historic cities in the world, never excavated because it's still in the middle of a warzone.

I'd hate to disappoint you, but that area is dug since 100 years and still was some years ago. Some of my collegueas were working there 'til the last war forced them to leave the country in 2003.

But you're right - it is one of the most ancient "cities" in the world.

ValenciaGrail

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I always wondered what was at the bottom of the hole at Oak Island.

LD, Oak Island has been pretty well debunked as being nothing more than folk tales and a mess of holes in the ground.

No one can even specify for certain where the original "money pit" site supposedly was.

The alleged elaborate tunnels which fill with water are nothing more than freshwater underground streams, beneath the seabed. You dig a bunch of holes, they'll fill with water. No feats of engineering here, just natural geophysics.

Oak Island is to archaeology what Bigfoot is to zoology- a career killer.
No serious archaeologist would touch the site with a long stick at this point.
(Although MIT's Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute did prove the underground streams using a very sensitive tracing dye)

otto rahn

If I had Indy's skills (or more specifically his luck, and perhaps Dirk Pitt's resources) I think that I might go looking for the treasure of the "General Grant" on that island south of New Zealand !

The Drifter

ValenciaGrail said:
LD, Oak Island has been pretty well debunked as being nothing more than folk tales and a mess of holes in the ground.

No one can even specify for certain where the original "money pit" site supposedly was.

The alleged elaborate tunnels which fill with water are nothing more than freshwater underground streams, beneath the seabed. You dig a bunch of holes, they'll fill with water. No feats of engineering here, just natural geophysics.

Oak Island is to archaeology what Bigfoot is to zoology- a career killer.
No serious archaeologist would touch the site with a long stick at this point.
(Although MIT's Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute did prove the underground streams using a very sensitive tracing dye)

What about all the timber, and pick marks in the Money Pit?

ValenciaGrail

Much of the "timber" is urban legend.
Other artifacts are simply debris from all the many vain attempts at digging out the "treasure" over the years.
The many rumored "smoking gun" clues - chain links, stone with carvings, etc - have been conveniently lost.
There isn't even agreement about the location of the "Money Pit".

This is one of the key reasons this site is archaeologically unviable, even if someone reputable wanted to excavate.
It's a mess from centuries of digging all over the place

The Drifter

ValenciaGrail said:
Much of the "timber" is urban legend.
Other artifacts are simply debris from all the many vain attempts at digging out the "treasure" over the years.
The many rumored "smoking gun" clues - chain links, stone with carvings, etc - have been conveniently lost.
There isn't even agreement about the location of the "Money Pit".

This is one of the key reasons this site is archaeologically unviable, even if someone reputable wanted to excavate.
It's a mess from centuries of digging all over the place

I believe you, but it is still so intruging.

tupogirl

I'd be a bit more local and do the Great Lakes. A number of boats have sunk up there.

Also Burlington, WI. I am not Mormon, but supposedly there are some gold tablets buried there, relevant to the faith. In general, there are a lot of weird things in that area, including a pyramid in a lake and a bottomless lake. I am also fascinated by Indian burial mounds in the Midwest. (Formerly an East Coast girl...)

Yure

I'll stay right here in Italy, still a lot to discover!

My great great grandfather was a respected archeologist in the late 19th century in Spoleto, Umbria, where he discovered a lot of ancient ruins, and also a whole Roman anphiteathre.

One of the things he also discovered is pretty much like the library of Last Crusande. There's a church (the one I took my first communion in, by the way, just outside my house, a 1200 building with a Roman basement) who was built over a Roman temple. It's very similiar to the St. Barnaba one in Venice (been there, too :)) My ancestor discovered the remains of the temple in St. Ansano church (http://www.artstudio.it/spoleto/it_204.html), that still features a crypt and younger medieval catacombs.

Right outside Spoleto there's the St. Peter's church, one of the most beautiful in all of Umbria (http://www.artstudio.it/spoleto/it_212.html). The carvings on the front represent many animals, but there are two bulls who face prominently towards the area in front of the church. The legend says that if you follow the directions where they look, in the exact place where their eyes cross, there's a hidden treasure, supposedly from the 17th century. The X marks the spot :)
Someone tried to dig for it in the past, but they just ended up being arrested :D

Dr.Jones

Personally, I'd explore the Pueblo cliffside villages. The dug-out appearance always begged question of deeper caves.

The actual Emperor's Tomb has always piqued my interest, also.

British Indy

There are so many places I'd like to go tomb-raiding, but the main ones are:

Egypt: Giza and Valley of the Kings
China: the tomb of Qin Shi Huang-Di in Xian
Mexico: Mayan temples ect.
South America: Machu Picchu, Moche tombs and the mountain where they found the frozen mummies. :D

bloodandmood

hmm, so many places.

Pyramids at Meroë: An ancient Nubian site, it's been looted, plundered, and bombed over the past 1600 years. Because of the uneasy political climate in Sudan, it hasn't been properly excavated in years. There hasn't been any major studies of the area since the 1920's (or 1947, if you played the Infernal Machine)

The Yucatan: Now a major resort and vacation area, but there are still vast stretches of the jungle that haven't been mapped. Most likely, there are Mayan cities and structures that have been swallowed up by the jungle vegetation. Recently, with the help of satellites, some of these undocumented places have been found. The same goes for much of Mexico and South America, there are still countless Meso-American sites that are waiting to be found.

there's also the Ziggurats in Mesopotamia, although they've been looted and excavated, it'd still be great to explore... despite the insurgents.

Indy~Annie

first of all i would go back and look for the sun glasses i threw in a hole and covered with dirt and wood chips in school......uh......she wouldnt help my 6 year old friend when she was getting beat up by older boys.....so she must pay!!!lol but really i would like to see if there still in the same spot.lol

(i was 6 too.:p)