General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy Jones

Not buying the possible intent of two more movies until I see this story picked up by some more trustable sources. I fully believe Disney's giving Indy 5 serious thought (but not a full commitment just yet), and as much as I'd like there to be a sixth film, I don't buy it coming from these sites.

And hey, I doubt 5 (and 6?) would be any more half-hearted than KOTCS (which doesn't bother me, I liked KOTCS), in fact probably less so since Harrison didn't want the alien angle either but relented because he wanted to play the part again.

If anything in that rumored deal will be half-hearted, it will be his Han Solo performance. Harrison cares more about Indy, and I imagine would desire at least a quality story or two. The only way Disney'd half-ass more Indy movies with Harrison is just to give them moderate budgets. They wouldn't want them to fail so they'd probably at least spring for decent scriptwriters.

Grizzlor

Wouldn't surprise me one bit it's true. Also doesn't guarantee the films will get made, or that he'll star in them either. I've also heard rumors that he and the other returning Star Wars veterans are signed for 3 of those films, too.

That said, a friend of mine wrote on Facebook, "The only good thing I can see coming of this is that they sell the 3 "new" movies by themselves and allow me to buy the "original trilogy" without needing to throw the disc for Crystal Skulls in the garbage."

Udvarnoky

It's unquestionably true that Harrison Ford is trying to hold Star Wars hostage to new Indiana Jones movies, but I think that the arrangement Disney agreed to ("We'll develop a story outline) is anything but an obligation to actually put them into production. That said this is the most promising kind of rumor we could have ever expected to hear, and I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now we hear about a screenwriter being associated with the project. Which of course, still guarantees nothing.

Personally, I'm all for the idea of Spielberg closing out a "second trilogy" for the older Indy. At this point the franchise can't be tarnished any further, really, and the character deserves a better send-off after Last Crusade's perfect one got replaced. Go for it, and go nuts.

kongisking

Udvarnoky said:
Go for it, and go nuts.

Some KOTCS haters would probably not say "go nuts" (after all, that's what Crystal Skull did) but "go safe."

Have it be Indy looking for a Judeo-Christian artifact with Nazis as villains. And, thus, keep encouraging treading water in franchises...;)

kongisking

Udvarnoky said:
I think the people who actually take the position you're mocking amount to right around zero.

Naaaaahhhhh! Both TOD and KOTCS dared try an unorthodox direction for Indiana Jones. Both were unfairly beaten up on initial release for such ballsyness. They exist, all right, sure as inter-dimensional beings...

Grizzlor

Udvarnoky said:
It's unquestionably true that Harrison Ford is trying to hold Star Wars hostage to new Indiana Jones movies, but I think that the arrangement Disney agreed to ("We'll develop a story outline") is anything but an obligation to actually put them into production. That said this is the most promising kind of rumor we could have ever expected to hear, and I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now we hear about a screenwriter being associated with the project. Which of course, still guarantees nothing.

Personally, I'm all for the idea of Spielberg closing out a "second trilogy" for the older Indy. At this point the franchise can't be tarnished any further, really, and the character deserves a better send-off after Last Crusade's perfect one got replaced. Go for it, and go nuts.

Two things, first I personally don't agree that Ford is "holding Star Wars hostage" for more Indy films. When you look at what they're doing with Star Wars (perhaps Indy too), I think they are extremely leery on just full rebooting these things, and in turn upsetting a bulk of their fanbases, namely some of the old farts like me! Remember, Disney has these franchises forever, there's no rush. So if they can squeeze another billion dollars (KOTCS made $600 Million profit) out of Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford, they're going to seriously consider doing it. Harrison knows the game.

Second thing is on Spielberg, that's really a bigger question mark for me. Is he allowed to continue directing the films? His work on KOTCS was awful, and frankly he was the weakest link of the three amigos.

Udvarnoky

I'm obviously being dramatic - he's making his involvement with Star Wars contingent on more Indy. Disney would prefer Ford participate, so he's using what power he has to try to extend his starring franchise.

How much power that really is can debated. Obviously, Disney could make do without him if they really had to, and it sounds like what they agreed to with Indy is far from commitment. My point is that he's trying to provoke movement on Indy, not that he actually has the influence to jeopardize Star Wars.

As far as Spielberg, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be Disney's first choice, but does he want to do it? That's the issue, not Disney letting him. Lucas' involvement is equally uncertain. Disney has no obligation to have him involved, but why wouldn't they want to? I suspect the extent to which the Beards participate will be entirely up to the Beards. They would very probably get first look privilege. As you point out, those two together have proven to be a winning formula monetarily.

Part of the appeal of more Indy is the idea that the whole gang comes back. If you don't have Lucas and Spielberg, it raises the question of why you need 70-year old Ford either. It's all or reboot...er, nothing, I should think.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
I'm obviously being dramatic - he's making his involvement with Star Wars contingent on more Indy. Disney would prefer Ford participate, so he's using what power he has to try to extend his starring franchise.

How much power that really is can debated. Obviously, Disney could make do without him if they really had to, and it sounds like what they agreed to with Indy is far from commitment. My point is that he's trying to provoke movement on Indy, not that he actually has the influence to jeopardize Star Wars.

As far as Spielberg, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be Disney's first choice, but does he want to do it? That's the issue, not Disney letting him. Lucas' involvement is equally uncertain. Disney has no obligation to have him involved, but why wouldn't they want to? I suspect the extent to which the Beards participate will be entirely up to the Beards. They would very probably get first look privilege. As you point out, those two together have proven to be a winning formula monetarily.

Part of the appeal of more Indy is the idea that the whole gang comes back. If you don't have Lucas and Spielberg, it raises the question of why you need 70-year old Ford either. It's all or reboot...er, nothing, I should think.

Given Lucas' track record since 1999 and Spielbergs detachment from the directorial style he used on the Indy films, I don't see why a new Ford Indy might not actually be better in fresher, younger hands.

Udvarnoky

It might be, but we if accept that Disney's decisions are business motivated, we can believe that they'll want the original SEAL team. There's not just the box office track record to consider - it's a fine marketing hook. You'd also have to think that Ford would lobby for their involvement.

I'm not saying they'll definitely be back, but still think that if they aren't, it'll be by their own accord. Spielberg claims that when George says frog, he jumps, so it's probably going to come down to Lucas' attitude toward the project.

Montana Smith

42-harrison-ford.jpg

All he needs is an eye patch and a bunch of kids prepared to sit through his tall stories and he's good to go for another dozen or so films.

Udvarnoky

kongisking said:
Some KOTCS haters would probably not say "go nuts" (after all, that's what Crystal Skull did) but "go safe."

Sorry to revisit this, but I didn't want to come off as entirely dismissing you. Basically, there's a difference between concept and execution. I think City of the Gods was nuts in a brilliant, highly entertaining way. I think Crystal Skull was nuts in a way that was bizarrely inert and languid. They're both big, pulpy scripts, but one has got a page-turning exuberance (akin to an Indiana Jones movie) the other doesn't.

I don't think the negativity toward Crystal Skull has much to do with its supposed boldness and people instead wanting more of the same. Reducing it all to this binary of safe versus daring is nonsense that completely misses the point of what was wrong with Crystal Skull, which, in my opinion, was almost independent of the story.

Last edited:

kongisking

Udvarnoky said:
Sorry to revisit this, but I didn't want to come off as entirely dismissing you. Basically, there's a difference between concept and execution. I think City of the Gods was nuts in a brilliant, highly entertaining way. I think Crystal Skull was nuts in a way that was bizarrely inert and languid. They're both big, pulpy scripts, but one has got a page-turning exuberance (akin to an Indiana Jones movie) the other doesn't.

In fairness, I have read the City of the Gods script, and it really is a damn fantastic script overall, and if made would have certainly been an infinitely better film than what we eventually got. It took me a while, but I'm now very aware of KOTCs' flaws, but I've chosen to appreciate the good in it and forgive the less-impressive bits. I've no quarrel with those who state they found it disappointing, but I do get very angry when people blast the movie for the things that, in my opinion, were its redeeming features. The things that don't work in KOTCS are unfortunate, yes, but the things that DO work...good Lord, are they a pleasure.

Indy 5 is a unique opportunity for the filmmakers to either regress, or keep trying zany, outrageous things while keeping the Jones spirit. But I'll agree with you, if it's a little more well-written, that would be very nice...;)

Grizzlor

Raiders112390 said:
Given Lucas' track record since 1999 and Spielbergs detachment from the directorial style he used on the Indy films, I don't see why a new Ford Indy might not actually be better in fresher, younger hands.

Spielberg is going to have a much fuller schedule than Harrison Ford will. As time goes by I still feel that his directing on KOTCS was pretty bad. Really felt like he phoned it in.

Spielberg

I agree, I think he was the weakest link for the last Indy. First, he refused to film at any location outside of the US. Second, the laziness in the humor (which is the saddest part, since he has juggled the inclusion of humor in his films admirably in the past.) I just think he wasn't that invested in the story, so he gave a barely-passable effort directing it. It seemd kind of passionless for a project that lamented in developmental hell for nearly 20 years! It was almost certainly just "phoned in."