Indy 5: Biblical Artifact Or Not

Which do you want: Biblical Macuffin or Other Religion?

• Bible!

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • One of the other hundreds of religions!

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Something "Not of this earth"

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Indy's brother

The thread title says it all. For the purposes of this poll, the question isn't what you think they would do, but which would you prefer.

Indy's brother

Of course we did, delete this poll! :p

I voted for some "other religion" to plunder. For me, I would like the stone of creation, or my time-traveling sundial/staircase for a biblical relic. However, they aren't as recognizable as the other artifacts, sankara stones notwithstanding. I think the Bible has been done enough. I realize that some fans equate Indy with the ultimate western-world view of good vs. evil: the christian god versus the nazis, but I don't need it, since the nazis are done, (for a 1950's Indy, anyway). I don't mind the scifi angle, either. I just think that KOTCS was just all over the place with it's tone and focus; the crystal skull was an awesome concept, imho.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It entirely depends on the story, geography, and current events. I've favored one of each. Say what you will about Crystal Skull, but there's not much else south of the border except a little voodoo and Easter Island.

Gear

I realize you have the "something not of this Earth" option, but does the McGuffin have to be religious? I like the idea of something ancient and purely technological, similar to the dial/staircase.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Time to go Muslim...and find the lost portrait of Muhammed.

^ Post of the week, on so many levels.

What about Jacob's Ladder...?
Carnival5.JPG

Indy's brother

Gear said:
I realize you have the "something not of this Earth" option, but does the McGuffin have to be religious? I like the idea of something ancient and purely technological, similar to the dial/staircase.

Sure! Any mod want to replace my lame third option with "scientific instead of supernatural macguffin" (which was basically the crystal skull concept) different /better wording is acceptable and appreciated. ;)

Montana Smith said:
Or Not. Definitely "or not". It's time for a Lovecraftian crossover. Indy's an elder beast himself now anyway.
We need somethin that was legendary before the 1900s...thats for sure!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
We need somethin that was legendary before the 1900s...thats for sure!

It all depends on how old you like your fantasy to be. You could go back to Homer, as he was a better story teller.

Montana Smith said:
It all depends on how old you like your fantasy to be. You could go back to Homer, as he was a better story teller.
I'd like something that doesn't endorse some hokey pop culture reimagining of a verified fake.

A decent story would't be bad either.

Brooke Logan

I don't know what would be a good artifact, it doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it's an interesting story and the characters are better than in Indy 4.

Maybe something about Atlantis? Or has that already been done with Indy in a novel?

WilliamBoyd8

Indy could go back to his roots, so to say, from "Last Crusade";
he was a teenager living in Utah in 1912.

Maybe he could go looking for a Mormon artifact, such as the lost
116 pages of the Book of Mormon.

Mormon prophet Joseph Smith gave the first 116 pages of his book to his assistant
Martin Harris in 1828 who either lost or destroyed them.

:)

Dr.Jonesy

I think whatever would make a great film should be whatever they go with. One of the reasons Indy IV was great is because they at least took the McGuffin aspect into new territory.

I like the idea of continuing to tread new territory, but if sticking to the religious formula is what they go with, then how can I take issue with that?
:gun:

If I had a preference...I guess I'd stick with the religous thing. I'm an atheist myself, but I do love me some cool religous stories and relics.

Indy's brother

Dr.Jonesy said:
I think whatever would make a great film should be whatever they go with. One of the reasons Indy IV was great is because they at least took the McGuffin aspect into new territory.

I like the idea of continuing to tread new territory, but if sticking to the religious formula is what they go with, then how can I take issue with that?
:gun:

If I had a preference...I guess I'd stick with the religous thing. I'm an atheist myself, but I do love me some cool religous stories and relics.

I'll agree with all of the above. I say for religion, why not go all the way with it, the origin of man. There are some great stories from religions that pre-date and also tie in with the biblical stories. Yes, there's an alien theory on this, too, but no real need to get into it. I think for an angle like this the garden of eden/flaming sword might be good.

The safest bet for the franchise would be to close out Indy's destiny with the ark. Reveal his life's true purpose as the ark's guardian, in an adventure were he has to ensure that it remains hidden until the second coming of christ. He entombs himself with it to protect it, and in doing so, is absorbed into it/heaven/the afterlife. Giving him an ascension type of end, rather than killing him outright, thus closing the books on his character and the franchise.

Could tie it in to the Stone of Creation lore, you know.....

phantomreviewer

I can only think of 2 biblical Macguffins left:

1) The Spear of Destiny - I thought I read somewhere that this was the inspiration for Raiders, because the real Hitler was looking for the spear that lanced Christ because he thought it had magical properties. This might be a neat idea for an Indy film because it is steeped in some real nazi history.

2) The bones of Elisha.

"Now when Elisha had fallen sick with the illness of which he was to die, Joash king of Israel went down to him, and wept before him ... So Elisha died, and they buried him. Now bands of Moabites used to invade the land in the spring of the year. And as a man was being buried, lo, a marauding band was seen and the man was cast into the grave of Elisha; and as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood on his feet." (2 Kings 13:14,20-21 RSV)

Imagine, neo nazis searching for the bones of Elisha so they could bring back Hitler, or ressurrect fallen soldiers on a battlefield?