The Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris

Pale Horse

Staff member
Far too often we wind up discussing the same things. New members come in with old questions, and without any news on the Lucasfilm/Paramount front, we, as fans are left with a void. Thankfully for me, there is the USA Network here in America, and from time to time, they show the films cut and edited for content. As some of you know Raiders is my choice for the best film of the three, and IMO Last Crusade is the perfect film from a screenwriting perspective (at least out of the three).

Tonight, Raiders of the Lost Ark is on, and as I was sitting here grieving for a close friend of mine recently passed away, I found the numbing action of playing solitaire and listening to Raiders to be some comfort. Then, all of the sudden, something sparked in my mind in true fan-boy fashion. I had to write.

If Belloq wasn?t using the headpiece for the staff of Ra, whose was it?

Follow me if you will. The headpiece was an Egyptian device to locate treasures (etc) on a map of the city. The Ark was a Hebrew treasure. Therefore the warning on the backside of that particular headpiece was significant. But that also implies that maybe there were other headpieces. Belloq was certainly using one, and maybe there are more, each for different treasures (treasures being an open-ended word).

In addition, it can be assumed that there is more than one staff. The staff of Geb, the staff of Bastet, the staff of Hathor?(Ra being sun, Geb being earth, Bastet being cats, and Hathor being music) Each staff must have had significance.

What then, would happen to someone who had the Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris? And what treasure (or curse) would it be? Would that make a good spin off?

the hammer42

Sorry to hear about your friend Pale horse.
I hope you are ok.

A spin off. That is something to think about.

But I thought the headpiece Belloq used was made from the burnmark on the nazi's hand.
That explains the writing on one side.

But what you are writing is something to think about.
You are a writer right. Maybe you should write a story or a script.
Make us proud.

the hammer42

Hmmm.
Do you know something we dont?

Please tell me your doing the rewrite on Darobont's script.
If not. then you should.

Or is your real name G. lucas?

Ska

the hammer42 said:
Hmmm.
Do you know something we dont?

Please tell me your doing the rewrite on Darobont's script.
If not. then you should.

Or is your real name G. lucas?

At this point, I don't know who is who on these boards. Nothing would surprise me.

That would be a very unique way to tie in Indy IV w/ Raiders. Only time will tell...

Subtle hints about Indy IV from moderators:
1. Tom Selleck having a part
2. One of the old villans returning
3. Alternate staffs leading to treasure/curse

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
If Belloq wasn?t using the headpiece for the staff of Ra, whose was it?
Actually, this is clearly explained in the movie where Belloq got the headpiece... I'm suprised someone around here even is oblivious.

Sallah saw a piece exactly like the one they had in their possession, but it had etching only on one side. Belloq didn't use any other headpiece, but a one-sided copy made of the Ra's headpiece. (That's how he never knew to take back one kadam.)

The million dollar question: Where did he get a copy of just one side?

Hint:
"Heil Hitler."

Rings a bell?

Ska

I thought he got it from Toht's hand, too, like the hammer said.

???

EDIT: to give the hammer credit.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Re: Re: The Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris

Finn said:
Actually, this is clearly explained in the movie where Belloq got the headpiece... I'm suprised someone around here even is oblivious.

Sallah saw a piece exactly like the one they had in their possession, but it had etching only on one side. Belloq didn't use any other headpiece, but a one-sided copy made of the Ra's headpiece. (That's how he never knew to take back one kadam.)

The million dollar question: Where did he get a copy of just one side?

Hint:
"Heil Hitler."

Rings a bell?

Yes, but Thot arrived in Tanis AFTER Sallah saw the men in the map room. What were they using before Thot arrived?

Finn

Staff member
How can you tell that, exactly? The film indicates <i>no</i> timing for Toht's arrival.

Pale Horse

Staff member
What about the storm that is happening outside with Marion in the tent, after Jones arrived in Tanis?

The same storm that Indy is working through on the top of the Well of the Souls?

Finn

Staff member
When Toht first appears after the adventure has arrived to Egypt ("Heil Hitler" -scene), the setting is in bright daylight. It's true that even this happens after Sallah tells Indy about the headpiece, but remember that Dietrich only indicates that "he has a man for the job", not "a man who has just arrived". Besides, Sallah says at the Imam's that he saw Belloq discover the location of the well "this morning". Toht could have been there at least as long as Indy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
True, true, I had my scenes a bit reversed.

But I also always believed that the burn on Thot,s hand was actually the warning. (Just my opinion really)

So there may be some speculation concerning the chance for multiple headpieces, But most certainly there is a staff of Ra, could there be other staffs whose heights reveal other treasures?

Finn

Staff member
Of course, this is always a possibility. I see where you're going... an adventurer, (not namely Indy) finds out a headpiece for some of those "other staffs", visits the Tanis map room and gets taken to a whole new adventure... not an impossible equation.

Luckylighter

I think they made a replica, using the burnmark on Toht's hand as a model. I mean, really, they didn't need anything too elaborate, just something circular, with a crystal in the center, and an attachment for a staff. When you think of how easily it is for prop replicators like Relic_Raider to knock one out in a couple of days, I believe they just had an artisan crank out a copy.

Luckylighter

Pale Horse said:
True, true, I had my scenes a bit reversed.

But I also always believed that the burn on Thot,s hand was actually the warning. (Just my opinion really)

So there may be some speculation concerning the chance for multiple headpieces, But most certainly there is a staff of Ra, could there be other staffs whose heights reveal other treasures?

I like that as a possible unrelated story, not within the Indy canon. If you are thinking about writing something like that, go for it, dude! I would look forward to reading it.

Raffey

Pale Horse said:
What then, would happen to someone who had the Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris? And what treasure (or curse) would it be? Would that make a good spin off?

The spin off you are describing sound a lot like a Brendan Fraser movie that will remain nameless. :p

Lightning

Strangly enough, I posted this theory over at COW only a few days ago. It was in a thread about the walls of the map room. The problem is that there is a large picture of the ark painted on the wall, implying that the room was built expecially for the ark, and since the city was destroyed soon after, nothing would be added after the ark. HOWEVER, nothing is preventing oter artifacts from being hidden before the ark. Shishak could have just decided to make the artifact he hid the most important (pharohs did that sort of thing. Plus, there is an entire wall we didn't see that could have the other artifacts painted on it.

Ska

Which leads us to our next question...

...what other artifact(s) could be hidden there? :confused:

Pale Horse

Staff member
If Christ has an Anti-christ, then perhaps the Lost Ark, has it's dark mirror as well. Eqyptian vs Hebrew, Pharoah vs Moses kinda thing.

The Staff of Osiris which uses the moon light and the constellations to bring out the Crown of Insolence

Bear.gif

Johan

I hope you didnt spend time creating that chart there PH.
But anyway...what about Moses' staff? Maybe the melted remains of Baal? There could be treasures involved! Josephs coat of many colors?