The Avengers

Joe Brody

Montana Smith said:
If not, I'll stick to DC!

There's more pathos in Black Widow's/Scarlett Johansson's reaction to Iron Man's arrival than in all the DC movies ever made, combined.

Though I won't argue with your technical critique, the Marvel movies have worked on a base emotional level. And just as a soap opera's success grows as it gets deeper and denser, the Marvel films are just going to get better and more successful -- because just people love being in on all the references.

Montana Smith

Joe Brody said:
There's more pathos in Black Widow's/Scarlett Johansson's reaction to Iron Man's arrival than in all the DC movies ever made, combined.

Though I won't argue with your technical critique, the Marvel movies have worked on a base emotional level. And just as a soap opera's success grows as it gets deeper and denser, the Marvel films are just going to get better and more successful -- because just people love being in on all the references.

I thought the whole thing was very clumsy. Very un-Joss Whedon-like.

I didn't get much sense of pathos from any of the characters because none of them were substantial enough in their world to warrant it.

There was far more craft and much more warranted pathos in the Buffy and Angel series, which makes me feel that Joss was somewhat under the thumb directing this.

Some films are made for families, and some seem made for the age rating on the box. Avengers Assemble certainly felt it was just made with the latter in mind.

It was a light, fluffy, comical Saturday morning punch-up with very little in it to demand a second viewing. I can't say the same for some of the DC movies which intentionally hit a different note.

Funny thing is, Joss said in a 'making of' film that he was going to make the characters more realistic. It looks like he tried because there was some better stuff in the deleted scenes that would have been better left in, such as Rogers' melancholy over his friends who'd passed away while he was frozen (a scene which would have preceded the punch bag).

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I thought the whole thing was very clumsy. Very un-Joss Whedon-like.

I didn't get much sense of pathos from any of the characters because none of them were substantial enough in their world to warrant it.

There was far more craft and much more warranted pathos in the Buffy and Angel series, which makes me feel that Joss was somewhat under the thumb directing this.

Some films are made for families, and some seem made for the age rating on the box. Avengers Assemble certainly felt it was just made with the latter in mind.

It was a light, fluffy, comical Saturday morning punch-up with very little in it to demand a second viewing. I can't say the same for some of the DC movies which intentionally hit a different note.

Funny thing is, Joss said in a 'making of' film that he was going to make the characters more realistic. It looks like he tried because there was some better stuff in the deleted scenes that would have been better left in, such as Rogers' melancholy over his friends who'd passed away while he was frozen (a scene which would have preceded the punch bag).

You're inconsistent standards never cease to amaze me, big guy. For instance: KOTCS is trash, but Van Helsing is a wonderful romp. Still reeling from that doozy.

Maybe it would be better if you simply stated this kind of movie doesn't fit your taste. Doesn't make it objectively bad.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
You're inconsistent standards never cease to amaze me, big guy. For instance: KOTCS is trash, but Van Helsing is a wonderful romp. Still reeling from that doozy.

KOTCS wasn't complete trash.

Van Helsing was intentionally trashy.

kongisking said:
Maybe it would be better if you simply stated this kind of movie doesn't fit your taste. Doesn't make it objectively bad.

Very few of these Marvel films fit my taste.

Even with the comics I never bought into that part of the Marvel universe that included Asgard. With Thor, Loki and Asgard being central to the films that becomes something of an issue!

On that point,what was up with Hemsworth’s accent? Sometimes he sounded like he was Irish, and sometimes, as Tony Stark aptly commented, like he was doing "Shakespeare in the park".

Virtually the whole thing was played for laughs, so it’s difficult to insert a genuine sense of pathos here and there. Though it isn’t impossible, as Joss has demonstrated in the past.

Translating the "freak show" (as Banner described it) from comic to film always runs the risk of that thing which offends Stoo so deeply. That everyone looks like a dork so nothing can be taken too seriously, which means that nothing matters and has no consequence. To overcome that dilemma a film needs, for need of a better word, 'craft'. (Something which KOTCS also lacked).

Whedon is usually a master craftsman, but it looks like he put this thing together with a Birmingham screwdriver of Mjolnir proportions.

That must be what's called for with this series. Good for Disney. Makes the prospect of Indy 5 very interesting!

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
A friend leant me the Blu-ray.

Montana Smith said:
Well, at least I can cross that one off the list.

This, dear sir, is what we call padding your post count.

Because you were so disengaged with the picture that you felt obliged to open a browser window, find a YouTube clip, and then post it with your ...uh, half-formed thoughts, I can't spend any time validating or destroying your opinion. Try a single post the next time around after you've sat through the full movie.

While the UK might still be enthralled by skinny birds in leather jumpsuits, the movie is called The Avengers*. Avengers Assemble is a crappy cartoon.

*- I am fully aware of the re-title because there might be some confusion.

The only 'bad' thing about The Avengers: Trying to make Tony Stark the normative head of the team. There's a reason why Cap gets to call the team to assemble.

tumblr_mv6mb4xNRv1qzfxm5o3_500.gif

I could watch that for hours, but that's not the reason why.

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
This, dear sir, is what we call padding your post count.

Because you were so disengaged with the picture that you felt obliged to open a browser window, find a YouTube clip, and then post it with your ...uh, half-formed thoughts, I can't spend any time validating or destroying your opinion. Try a single post the next time around after you've sat through the full movie.

Le Supercilious the Marvel Boy. I wondered when you'd poke your condescending nose in. :rolleyes:

Every time I see your name pop up I wonder who you're personally insulting this time.

Maybe a moderator would be so kind as to unite my two posts if it's so important to you, as I'm really not concerned by post count, though obviously there are those that are.

I was thinking of retiring on 9,999.