The Godfather Part III

oki9Sedo

What did you guys think of this film? I just watched it again recently, and while I don't think its half as good as the first two, its an okay film, certainly not the travesty some people make it out to be.

trippweeder

It became very fashionable to bash that movie, but on its own merits, it's very nearly excellent. The opera-intercut finale is still awesome editing.

I thought it was pretty good. Often, any belated sequel has to fight for acceptance and some don't recieve it. Look at Road to Hong Kong with Crosby and Hope. Made years after the original string of movies and is deemed awful. Let's hope our anticipated belated sequel doesn't suffer the same fate.

nezobiwan

ResidentAlien said:
An utter travesty. And casting Sophia Coppola is one of the biggest casting blunders in history.
If you ask me, letting her direct a film might have been a bigger blunder...

... just my brief 2 cents on that subject.

Niteshade007

Yes. Because of her, I wish my last name was Coppola, that way I could be in the film business without actually have to be good at it.

oki9Sedo

Niteshade007 said:
Yes. Because of her, I wish my last name was Coppola, that way I could be in the film business without actually have to be good at it.

Its true to say that Sofia Coppola and Nicolas Cage only got into the film business because of their relationship to FFC, but they're both good (Cage at stupid action movies, Coppola at directing).

oki9Sedo

trippweeder said:
It became very fashionable to bash that movie, but on its own merits, it's very nearly excellent. The opera-intercut finale is still awesome editing.

Thats the thing. It became very fashionable to bash that movie, purely on the basis of it not being a classic like the first two. I wouldn't go so far as to say its nearly excellent (Sofia Coppolla makes DAMN sure of that), but it is quite good.

Matinee Idyll

nezobiwan said:
If you ask me, letting her direct a film might have been a bigger blunder...

... just my brief 2 cents on that subject.

What the hell are you talking about? She's one of the most promising directors to emerge in recent years... Virgin Suicides, and especially Lost in Translation are stunning works.

And before anyone knocks Cage, see Wild at Heart and Birdy.

nezobiwan

Matinee Idyll said:
What the hell are you talking about? She's one of the most promising directors to emerge in recent years... Virgin Suicides, and especially Lost in Translation are stunning works.

And before anyone knocks Cage, see Wild at Heart and Birdy.

*shrug* I'm not the only one who thinks Sophia is overrated.

I do like Cage though. I heart "Peggy Sue Got Married" and I can't wait for "National Treasure 2!" :D

Niteshade007

I also love Peggy Sue Got Married. It's really a fun to watch dramedy that's pretty much overlooked. The only thing that bothers me is Nicholas Cage's voice in that movie. It's a bit too whiny for my liking. But Kathleen Turner is beautiful in that movie.

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
I also love Peggy Sue Got Married. It's really a fun to watch dramedy that's pretty much overlooked. The only thing that bothers me is Nicholas Cage's voice in that movie. It's a bit too whiny for my liking. But Kathleen Turner is beautiful in that movie.
Sophia plays Peggy's sister! I never knew it for years and years and I found out recently.

oki9Sedo

Niteshade007 said:

He sounds like a eunuch with the testosterone levels of a field mouse ("You mean my wang!")

He actually put on the voice, as opposed to actually sounding like that at that age.

sandiegojones

oki9Sedo said:
Thats the thing. It became very fashionable to bash that movie, purely on the basis of it not being a classic like the first two. I wouldn't go so far as to say its nearly excellent (Sofia Coppolla makes DAMN sure of that), but it is quite good.

I like GFIII, mostly. I blame that clepto b!tch Winonna Ryder for backing out 1 week before the filming started for the failure of this film. Coppola felt this was a more personal film for him than the other two and wrote Michael's daughter (a spoiled and selfish rich girl) based on his own daughter, Sofia. I think he thought it would be easy to insert her into the film because she was the inspiration. Everytime she's on camera, especially with Andy Garcia, it's bad though. just her face and expressions! :rolleyes:

Still, they may make #4 and a GFII game is on the way. The game looks good:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/899/899017p1.html

They should get to a 4th game and add Andy G as the new Don.

The Man

Deeply flawed, yet very, very good. The operatic wipeout sequence is terrific. It's more than worth a reappraisal...

3gf2kp8.png

"Don't listen, baby. You ain't that bad..."

sandiegojones

What always gets me is Michael's cry at the end. You see the anguish on his face and see his heart break and he's trying to scream as loud as he can, but there's just silence...then we hear him cry and then FFC cuts in a shot from earlier where he is dancing with his daughter with the music from Caveleria Rusticana.

As a parent, it always get's me.

RocketSledFight

I think people hated it because it wasn't the direction they wanted to see the Corleone family go: They did not want to see Michael and his empire fall apart.

I love it because it makes perfect sense. Michael pays for every sin he commits since stepping in to the fold to save his father in the first film.

agentsands77

RocketSledFight said:
I think people hated it because it wasn't the direction they wanted to see the Corleone family go: They did not want to see Michael and his empire fall apart.
I don't know about that. I did, at any rate.

I think the problems with GODFATHER PART III is really that it's just not the masterpiece the first two were. The film doesn't have the same finesse.