I Hate Microsoft...

WillKill4Food

Okay, so I have a huge project (a typed example notebook that's basically a textbook that I have to creat) that I have to do in Calculus class. It's due this Thursday. I have band practice several days this week. I also have Scholar's Bowl and a few other school meetings.

So, here I am, trying to do my project, and I take a break.

Well, for this busy weekend of mine, my break was doing an essay for English class, because at least when writing an essay I don't have to go try to type up crap in Microsoft Equation.

So I'm writing my essay, a beautiful essay for the mere hour I put into it, and I press print. The essay's five pages, but that's fine because I've got plenty of ink.

Problem is, that my @#$%in' printer won't work.

Just yesterday, it was fine.
Today it's not.
No clue why.

I go to printer properties in Microsoft Word; it says I don't have a printer hooked up. I look at my PC. There white USB cord is plugged in. The little green light is on my printer. There's paper in the tray. Everything's fine, but my computer doesn't believe me.

So I go to the Control Panel, try to find my printer.

@#$%!

I get a white box and that blue circle that's Vista's substitute for the hourglass. So I can't access it.

I look on the Internet forums.

I have three solutions available:
1. Re-install Windows. Not Happenin'. I have too much stuff on here that I can't lose like that.
2. Turn off Windows Firewall. Supposedly this is a big fix-all that should work. You know what? There's only one way I can get to Window's Firewall. You know what that is? Through the @#$%in' control panel, which I can't open.
3. Sit and wait helplessly until my virus program finds something wrong (which I might not do). So I'm sitting here on my arse waiting for Trend Micro to find something. Something that may not be the @#$%in' problem. :mad:

I hate Microsoft. :gun: :dead:

If any of you guys know how to help me, go ahead...

PLEASE! :eek:

michael

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9SXlIHyfwU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9SXlIHyfwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Goonie

If you can't print, photocopy! (y)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lj4UvCxNWww&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lj4UvCxNWww&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Finn

Staff member
So you can't access the Control Panel? Try getting to the printers directly.

Open the Windows menu, pick "run" right above "shut down", type

control printers

into the box that opens, hit enter.

WillKill4Food

Yes, Gear, I do have a flash drive and I have already saved both my project and my essay to it.
The problem is that my dad's computer runs Microsoft Office 2003 and mine runs 2007. Unfortunately, many of the features I used in 2007 to do the project are not available on 2003. I am going to try to print them off anyway; hopefully it'll work.

Finn, thanks for the help. I'll try that and tell you whether or not it worked. (y)

But still, I have no way to access control panel. That's rather bad. :(

Does anyone have an idea about how I could fix that? I don't want to re-install Vista, but I do have a disc that says "Recovery Disc" on it. Problem is, I'm not sure if that will format my drive or not. If it will, then it's not an option.

I'm afraid to call Best Buy, because I know if I do they'll just tell me to bring it to them. If I do that, I'll have to drive for a long time (the closest Best Buy is in a city near mine) and when I go there they'll just tell me to format it. That's what they always do. They seem to have no care for any files on anyone's computer. Automatically, their knee-jerk reaction is to format.

And I can't do that.

:(

Finn

Staff member
WillKill4Food said:
Does anyone have an idea about how I could fix that? I don't want to re-install Vista, but I do have a disc that says "Recovery Disc" on it. Problem is, I'm not sure if that will format my drive or not. If it will, then it's not an option.
Recovery discs are to be used when your computer locks you out of the system or stops responding altogether (e.g. you can't even access Windows). This is clearly not the case here.

Try running system restore, which will return the earlier Windows settings without touching your personal files. You can find it in the main menu under Accessories -> System Tools.

Also, if you are forced to reinstall Vista from a disc, it should NOT remove any personal documents from the drive. That only happens if you manually format the disk clean and then perform a fresh install.

WillKill4Food

Finn said:
Try running system restore, which will return the earlier Windows settings without touching your personal files. You can find it in the main menu under Accessories -> System Tools.
I tried that last night after my post on here.
When I went into the System Restore tool, I clicked the button saying to restore my computer to the last restore point. It started to do this, but then popped up a little window saying that I had a problem on my C: drive and then it went on to say that a file could be corrupted or something like that.

But it then asked me if I'd like to fix this problem. I clicked the button telling to automatically fix any errors that it should find.

It begins to do this, but then another window pops up telling me that I can't do this while I'm using the computer. It asked me if I want to "schedule" a time for the computer to do this on my next startup. I clicked the little button that will schedule this task for the computer.

So then I shut down my computer and restart it, assuming that upon startup it will be a good little computer and do what it said it would do.

But it didn't, and when I tried to run System Restore it again told me to schedule a time for it to fix the C: drive.

I tried again...and then again...and after a few tries of scheduling the task and restarting my computer, I gave up.

So, suffice it to say that System Restore seems to be a non-option.

Finn said:
Also, if you are forced to reinstall Vista from a disc, it should NOT remove any personal documents from the drive. That only happens if you manually format the disk clean and then perform a fresh install.
Okay, thank you for quelling my qualms on doing this.
I think I will go ahead and do this as soon as I finish my project.
Thanks, again.
:hat: