Thread: Lost Tales
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Thanks for the kind words, Stoo. I tell people that I just write these stories for my own pleasure, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to enjoying the positive feedback too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
-You used Jean Renoir well but I'm intrigued by this Donald Thompson fellow. I'm very interested in the early cinematographers of pre-WW1 battles (primarily the Boer War) but am not familiar with his name. A lot of familiar WW1 footage was staged for the camera so I'll be looking into this guy.

Thompson's name came from Pablo Hidalgo's "Lost Chronicles" article, and I had never heard of him before either. After a lot of googling, I found some of his films available on DVD, and one of the sites had a two-paragraph biography. That's all I had to go on until the story was almost done. Then I found Fighting in Flanders by E Alexander Powell, which by all accounts is a highly exaggerated account of Thompson and Powell's early adventures in the Great War.

Quote:
-The bookends were spot-on. Would these take place immediately before or after the ones for "London"?

They're supposed to take place after the London bookends. I needed some legal trouble for Old Indy, and remembered his accountant asking about receipts. I probably wouldn't have done it that way, though, if I had recognized earlier that my Le Havre episode and bookends are both preceeded by the London episode AND bookends, too. (I take perverse pleasure in the fact that the "Chronicles" are not chronological.)

Quote:
-"Baudet": Is that Remy calling the Sgt. a donkey after a "Baudet de Poitou"?

Actually, since my French is tres mal, I looked up jackass in a French/English dictionary and found "Baudet". I hoped I was using it correctly.

Quote:
Your artwork is pretty good for someone who is "obviously no artist".

My "artwork" is actually freestyle tracing, but thanks anyway.

Quote:
So, what's on deck for your next project? I have some good info/images & the PERFECT MAP for "Jerusalem" should you ever decide to tackle that one (which should be LAST, in my opinion.) It would be my pleasure to provide you with all the documentation I've collected.

I haven't decided on my next project yet, but I don't think I want to tackle "Jerusalem" any time soon. I'm a little nervous about introducing Abner, since everyone has their own idea of what he's like. Same for Belloq's introduction in "Honduras". I plan to do them eventually, but not yet. When I do decide what's next, I'll let you know.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote