Sansweet talks Indy

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
no plans for a definite Indy 5 or even Blu-Ray release .but "who knows" .. listen for yourself on The Geek Show Podcast on iTunes... he starts talking Indy around 10:00 in the interview...

The title is SWANK INTERVIEWS STEVE SANSWEET 7/26/09

Lance Quazar

Mitchellhallock said:
no plans for a definite Indy 5 or even Blu-Ray release .but "who knows" .. listen for yourself on The Geek Show Podcast on iTunes... he starts talking Indy around 10:00 in the interview...

The title is SWANK INTERVIEWS STEVE SANSWEET 7/26/09

How could they not do a blu-ray release. That's just ridiculous.

Jorbex

Lance Quazar said:
How could they not do a blu-ray release. That's just ridiculous.
I'm sure he meant no blu-ray for now; after all, the DVDs weren't released until 2003. Lucas isn't exactly an early adopter of new formats. ;)

Hanselation

Further Expectations

Dr.Sartorius said:
By the time the original Indy movies are released on Blu-ray it will be replaced by a different format.

I grew up with the rough VHS-format and for watching Raiders at home, after it was shown in the movies, I had to wait for 3 years (till 1984).
So come on - be pleased to have furthermore expectations for the Indiana Jones franchise for the next years. ;)

DocWhiskey

Personally I could care less if the films are released on blu ray because DVD still looks fine to me.

Hanselation

Moedred said:
http://www.thegeekshowpodcast.com/audio/swank-interviews-steve-sansweet.mp3

Okay, think I finally found it...

"I personally would be surprised to see a fifth Indy movie because of all the well-known story of how long it took to get a fourth Indy movie done, and everybody in agreement ...you know, who knows." -Steve Sansweet

Steve Sansweet knews absolutley nothing about Indiana Jones 5 because he is the "Star Wars"-Franchise man and like he said, Star Wars is in Lucas' hand and so it's toy marketing. In the opposite there is Indiana Jones with much less potential for toy marketing and Indiana Jones is not only in Lucas' hand, but also in Steven Spielberg's, Harrison Ford's and Paramount's hand. That's the toughie!
But that's not really a new surprising information. Nothing more interesting but hot air. Good night from germany. :)

Jorbex

Sansweet is hardly just a "Star Wars franchise man"; his formal title is Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations at Lucasfilm, so I'm sure he's in the loop of all major Lucasfilm projects

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I will gladly take the reigns as the Indiana Jones Fan Relations manager... Steve has my name and number... just give me a call...

deckard24

DocWhiskey said:
Personally I could care less if the films are released on blu ray because DVD still looks fine to me.
I agree. If I had a Blu-Ray player maybe I'd care more, but some of that grittiness in the regular DVD transfers adds to the charm. I wonder sometimes if it's too polished, it will take something away from the film? Then again, I've seen very little of Blu-Ray movies, besides the demos at stores, and even then they were always brand new films like Quantum of Solace, not movies from the 70's and 80's.

Le Saboteur

DocWhiskey said:

Agreed. But more than that, do we really want it on Blu-ray? I could see Lucas tinkering with the final product even more, a la the Young Indy series. For my money, the '03 DVD release will be nigh impossible to top.

There are probably lots of little, nifty bonus features that could be added, but I personally don't want to know how every little effect was achieved; i.e., the pane of glass separating Indy from the cobra in Raiders. I never noticed it until that enhanced VHS box set came out in the late nineties. Y'know, the one that gave you the free tape of Young Indy and the Peacock's Eye.

Goonie

Mitchellhallock said:
I will gladly take the reigns as the Indiana Jones Fan Relations manager... Steve has my name and number... just give me a call...

If you do, get the Staff of Kings novel published! :D

indycast

DocWhiskey said:

Maybe, but once you see a blu ray you will be amazed! CE3K, Superman the Movie and other older films look amazing so I'm sure the later Indy films will look stunning.

And its like moving from a single to a double bed - there's no going back!

DocWhiskey

indycast said:
Maybe, but once you see a blu ray you will be amazed! CE3K, Superman the Movie and other older films look amazing so I'm sure the later Indy films will look stunning.

And its like moving from a single to a double bed - there's no going back!

I've seen a few Blu Ray movies. And, yes, they look nice (except for that weird "true motion" enabler). But I'm a college student and a movie buff, so money is virtually nonexistent as of now. So say I shell out an ungodly amount of money on a blu ray player which will lead to me wanting a bigger HDTV. And since, now, I got a bigger HDTV and blu ray player, gee, I wonder what all those hundreds of DVDs will look in blu ray. So I end up re buying a lot of movies.

Spending a ton of money I don't have. On movies I already have. Because it looks pretty.

I don't have this money to burn. I don't need a good movie in 1280p for me to enjoy it.

Because in a few years, blu ray players will be going for $75 Walgreens and I'll be able to do this all over again anyways.

Le Saboteur

I doubt I'll ever buy a standalone Blu-ray player. Yes, it looks nice -- and there's tons of storage capability -- but, the jump from DVD to Blu-ray isn't nearly as significant as the jump between VHS & DVD.

Darth Vile

Le Saboteur said:
I doubt I'll ever buy a standalone Blu-ray player. Yes, it looks nice -- and there's tons of storage capability -- but, the jump from DVD to Blu-ray isn't nearly as significant as the jump between VHS & DVD.

It's realtive... I have a state of the art 50" plasma and, unfortunately, the quality of normal DVD's just doesn't cut the mustard any more e.g. grainy, blurred etc. I'd say the jump from DVD to HD is comparable to VHS to DVD, but it's not as democratic... i.e. you have to be a relatively wealthy bast**d like me to afford all the gear for it to make a difference. ;)