Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Goonie

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4VYND6tK5ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like it could be a decent re-boot of the franchise.(y)

RedeemedChild

I don't know what to say. It doesn't look as good the 'Charlton Heston' Planet of the Apes that's for sure. It simply looks like any other run of the mill lame Sci-Fi movie of our time. I'm not impressed.

I think I'll stick with Cameron's Avatar as that's the best new Sci-Fi movie that I've seen in a long time. Cameron's Avatar totally kicks the can of anything else easily. I don't know if we'll see another movie as good as Avatar for some time now.

Montana Smith

Goonie said:
Looks like it could be a decent re-boot of the franchise.(y)

It certainly does.

kongisking said:
I do love that Andy Serkis and WETA are involved.

Both those factors are big plus marks in my book.

RedeemedChild said:
I don't know what to say. It doesn't look as good the 'Charlton Heston' Planet of the Apes that's for sure. It simply looks like any other run of the mill lame Sci-Fi movie of our time. I'm not impressed.

I think I'll stick with Cameron's Avatar as that's the best new Sci-Fi movie that I've seen in a long time. Cameron's Avatar totally kicks the can of anything else easily. I don't know if we'll see another movie as good as Avatar for some time now.

I'm a fan of the originals, and I loved the way the apes looked back then. Though the size and look of the apes in Conquest did bother me, as they hadn't yet had several thousand years of evolution to explain away their more human form.

This one is changing the story completely. The time loop paradox is gone (the chicken and egg of apes coming back in time to uninentionally make their world world possible in the future). In the reboot it looks like purely the work of human experimentation.

While the classic look of the apes has now gone, this story looks much more grounded than the idea of ape servants simply gaining intelligence, the power of speech, and more human form. The trailer makes this look more of a horror film - where the apes could simply be replacing zombies created by a genetic experiment.

I didn't like Tim Burton's version at all (hated the dizzy editing for one thing). This one has much more potential.

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
This one is changing the story completely. The time loop paradox is gone (the chicken and egg of apes coming back in time to uninentionally make their world world possible in the future). In the reboot it looks like purely the work of human experimentation.

I didn't like Tim Burton's version at all (hated the dizzy editing for one thing). This one has much more potential.

The lack of the time loop paradox is want really has me set to pass this one. I love time loop paradoxes and that is precisely why I'm a Star Trek fan. I loved how J.J. Abrams is using time loops and separate time dimensions for his Star Trek Original Series Prequel movies.

The only thing I can say at the moment is 'Thank God Michael Bay doesn't have his hands on these Apes.' To bad Guillermo Del Toro isn't producing this movie.

I also agree with you that Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes was an outright crash landing. I think Tim Burton needs to stay away from Sci-Fi and stick with fantasy and mystery.

roundshort

Wow -
I ma usually pretty negative for most movies, but this looks very good, in a creepy sort of way. Very cool, thanks for posting

TheMutt92

roundshort said:
Wow -
I ma usually pretty negative for most movies, but this looks very good, in a creepy sort of way. Very cool, thanks for posting

One shot that stands out for me is the ape standing over the couple in bed. Just in general, people staring at other people while they're sleeping/in an intimate moment creeps me out.

One of my roommates is going to start renting the original POTA films for us to watch, so can someone clarify for me why this may or may not be a prequel/reboot? Cause I hate it when people classify something as a reboot when it could just as easily fit in the same universe as what has come before (JJ Abrams Star Trek is the only film I believe that is successfully a prequel/sequel/reboot at the same time).

Stoo

Yes!

Over a year ago, I made a post about this in the Best Planet of the Apes sequel? thread. If one of the mods would be so kind, maybe the related conversation that followed there could be transplanted into this thread (if that's even possible)? Pretty please?

BIG "Apes" fan here. I even love the TV show, the animated series, books, comics, etc. and had all the MEGO toys as a kid. I've also got all kinds of rare video items, too. Tim Burton's remake was one of the most highly anticipated films of my entire life (wa-a-ay more than "Crystal Skull"). If people think waiting 19 years for Indy 4 was excruciating, try waiting over 35 years with an even more colossal letdown!:eek:

This "Rise" film was originally slated to premiere on June 24th, 2011. Glad to see that the title has changed from the simple, "Rise of the Apes" but they've changed the font typeface!(n)
Montana Smith said:
This one is changing the story completely. The time loop paradox is gone (the chicken and egg of apes coming back in time to uninentionally make their world world possible in the future).
Re. changing the story: Not really because at some point after Taylor went off into space in 1972 (& c.'73 for Brent), the apes took over without the help of a talking ape whose parents were from the future (Cornelius relates the tale in "Escape from..."). The story in "Escape" and the next 2 films afterwards form an ALTERNATE timeline. This upcoming film could be considered as a new take on the original (unseen) chain of events.

@RedeemedChild: Is it possible for you to have a conversation WITHOUT mentioning "J.J. Abrams Star Trek" or "Cameron's Avatar".:rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Re. changing the story: Not really because at some point after Taylor went off into space in 1972 (& c.'73 for Brent), the apes took over without the help of a talking ape whose parents were from the future (Cornelius relates the tale in "Escape from..."). The story in "Escape" and the next 2 films afterwards form an ALTERNATE timeline. This upcoming film could be considered as a new take on the original (unseen) chain of events.

The timelines are confusing in the series, but I thought the ape uprising was begun by Caesar (Milo), son of Cornelius and Zira after coming back in time.

The new movie looks to be about man creating intelligent apes.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
The timelines are confusing in the series, but I thought the ape uprising was begun by Caesar (Milo), son of Cornelius and Zira after coming back in time.
If you include the TV show and the animated series, the timeline is a mess! Anyway, think about it: The apes took over BEFORE Cornelius, Zira and Dr. Milo went back in time...before Caesar/Baby Milo was even born.

Montana Smith said:
The new movie looks to be about man creating intelligent apes.
It still might fit. We'll just have to wait and see...and I can't wait.

Here's one of the concept paintings that has been released:

PHLktBM3CwfMPM_2_m.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
If you include the TV show and the animated series, the timeline is a mess! Anyway, think about it: The apes took over BEFORE Cornelius, Zira and Dr. Milo went back in time...before Caesar/Baby Milo was even born.

This is where the time paradoxes turn the little grey cells to mush!

Milo grew up in a time when humans were using apes as servants and generally mistreating them (which may be the experimentation stage handled in the new film). Ther uprising began when he was an adult, and he literally gave voice to it.

Stoo said:
Here's one of the concept paintings that has been released:

PHLktBM3CwfMPM_2_m.jpg

This looks like it's going to be a great battle - especially with apes on all fours, which was one of the good points with Burton's attempt. I can imagine this film is going to be rated higher for violence.

Stoo

TheMutt92 said:
One of my roommates is going to start renting the original POTA films for us to watch, so can someone clarify for me why this may or may not be a prequel/reboot? Cause I hate it when people classify something as a reboot when it could just as easily fit in the same universe as what has come before...
It's probably a "reboot" (hate that term!:sick:) but we'll just have to wait & see. The "Apes" storyline has been screwed up since the 1st sequel ("Beneath") so it doesn't really matter if this tale fits or not. After you watch them all, it would be nice if you posted some comments in this thread: Best Planet Of The Apes sequel?
Montana Smith said:
This is where the time paradoxes turn the little grey cells to mush!
What turns the mind to mush are the inconsistencies in story details because many elements are contradictory.:(
Montana Smith said:
Milo grew up in a time when humans were using apes as servants and generally mistreating them (which may be the experimentation stage handled in the new film). Ther uprising began when he was an adult, and he literally gave voice to it.
Smiffy, you need to watch, "Escape", again. The ORIGINAL revolt began about 400-500 years after the plague-from-outer-space wiped out dogs & cats. The one ape who originally gave "voice" to the uprising was named, Aldo, who was presumably a gorilla. (General Aldo from "Battle" was probably named after him.) As I mentioned before, Caesar's/Baby Milo's timeline is an ALTERNATE chain of events.

The problem is, Cornelius relates that the day Aldo said, "No", is commemorated and fully documented in The Sacred Scrolls. This contradicts the established fact that the general ape public (of the 3900s) had no knowledge of humans previously ruling the earth.
Montana Smith said:
This looks like it's going to be a great battle - especially with apes on all fours, which was one of the good points with Burton's attempt. I can imagine this film is going to be rated higher for violence.
Showing apes on all fours was a cool aspect of Burton's film. No doubt this will be more violent but...Have you seen the uncensored version of "Conquest"? It's more violent & less forgiving than the '72 theatrical release.:dead:

More concept art:

concept_span.jpg

^^ It was confirmed a reboot on Collider.com. The director did say that there will be nods/easter eggs to the older films and Burtons film (ex: Nova Cafe was one)...but they are just there for fans, and have nothing to do with the story or timeline.

-Chris

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Smiffy, you need to watch, "Escape", again. The ORIGINAL revolt began about 400-500 years after the plague-from-outer-space wiped out dogs & cats. The one ape who originally gave "voice" to the uprising was named, Aldo, who was presumably a gorilla. (General Aldo from "Battle" was probably named after him.) As I mentioned before, Caesar's/Baby Milo's timeline is an ALTERNATE chain of events.

The problem is, Cornelius relates that the day Aldo said, "No", is commemorated and fully documented in The Sacred Scrolls. This contradicts the established fact that the general ape public (of the 3900s) had no knowledge of humans previously ruling the earth.

I see now what you're getting at. I was fixated with the events of Conquest, as relating to Rise.

Stoo said:
Showing apes on all fours was a cool aspect of Burton's film. No doubt this will be more violent but...Have you seen the uncensored version of "Conquest"? It's more violent & less forgiving than the '72 theatrical release.:dead:

I'm not sure which versions I have, or which have been released on DVD. (If the uncensored one was ever released on DVD).

phantom train

This is an edited version of a post I made on another thread earlier today:

Just saw the full Rise of the Planet of the Apes trailer for the first time & am very impressed! Based on just these 2 minutes, it looks like they are going for a complete re-vamp, but at the same time will be keeping the spirit of the original films intact. Just based on this trailer, I'm looking forward to this film more than any of the other so-called summer "blockbusters" that are coming out this year. In fact, I have to say that I'm looking forward more to this film than I have to any new film in many years. What is especially interesting to me is that this time around, the explanation as to how the Apes actually become intelligent and take over humanity seems as if it will be more scientific.

Though I've been a fan of the franchise since I first discovered this as a kid in the early '80's, what always somewhat confused me was that that, based on what we see in Conquest, the explanation as to how the Apes become intelligent and overtake the humans seems slightly far-fetched. I understand that in the time-line/story established in the original films, in the years after Escape all dogs and cats died in a virus that was accidentally brought back from outer space, so Apes became more trained and domesticated to replace these pets. And, by the time Conquest takes place, the Apes have become ready for revolution since they've been abused for years - and, Caesar (the child of the apes that came back in time) becomes the leader of all of the Apes since he had intelligence & could speak. However, I've always had several questions re: these original films , specifically Conquest: First, just because the Apes become trained & domesticated, IMHO that wouldn't necessarily make them intelligent enough to take over nor would it necessarily make them intelligent enough to learn to speak (other than Caesar, of course). Second, it was never explained in these films how the appearance of the Apes changed from the way they originally looked to be more human & upright - apparently this happened in just the 18-20 years between Escape & Conquest, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (of course, the real-world explanation is that they're all people in costumes). I guess it's possible that the virus that took out the cats/dogs somehow affected the apes by making them more intelligent & changing their physical appearance, but this was never even stated or implied in the films' plots/storylines (unless I missed something).

And, another issue I had with the original films was the idea that, sometime during the events of Beneath, the scientist Apes were able to recover Taylor's ship from underwater, figure out how it worked, and somehow get it operational again so that it would be in space when the Earth was destroyed, thereby propelling them back in time. I'll buy the time-travel bit (since it had already been established that Taylor's & Brent's crew went forward in time in the first two films), but it is simply impossible that the Apes (whose primitive "technology" was on par with pre-Industrial Revolution Earth), even if they knew where Taylor's ship was, could get it out of the water and working again - no way. That being said, I'll suspend disbelief here since it makes for a good story, and since if that hadn't happened, the franchise would have ended with Beneath.

Getting back to the new film, I think this has the potential to be better than the previous films in the franchise (I will reserve judgement until I actually see this, of course); Hopefully this new movie will do very well and will spawn numerous sequels, etc. It's interesting that these films have such longevity -though it's been ten years since the last film came out, the fact that there's this new one on the horizon shows that the franchise isn't gone for good, it's just been dormant for a while.

Re: the August release date, I'm not sure if this is good or bad (since most of the big summer blockbusters usually come out between May & July), but maybe it's good it's coming out so late in the summer, so there will be less competition.

Lastly, for the truly hardcore Ape fans, you may be interested to know that there will be a brand new POTA comic book coming out later in April 2011 - here is a link with more pictures & info. - it definitely looks like they'll be following at least some of the continuity from the original films here. I'm definitely onboard for this, and hope it lasts beyond the new film's release:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/04/preview-planet-of-the-apes-1/

Side-note: I was one of the few Ape fans who actually liked the 2001 POTA re-boot - I saw it three times in the theatre, bought the soundtrack, the "Making of" HC book, etc. I felt that the make-up of the Apes in that was superb, and a lot better than the make-up in the original films. Plus, the 2001 ending was very close to the ending of the original Pierre Boulle POTA novel, so I felt it remained fairly true to the source material.

The Man

Hail Caesar! Fail Human!

<object width="720" height="362"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40775"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/40775" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="362"></embed></object>​

kongisking

I had a passing interest in this film before, mostly due to WETA and Andy Serkis's involvement, but this new trailer blew my mind. Gorillas versus SWAT troops? Full-on ape rebellion? Suh-weet. :cool:

phantom train

Just saw this new feature trailer for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and I am truly floored - this new film looks amazing! Though the previous trailer (April 2011) hinted at a lot of the plot points in the film, this new trailer was much more revealing - I liked what we saw of Caesar's Evolution, and also based on what we see at the end of the trailer the Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangatang's (sp?!) will be represented. Very nice. I will reserve judgement until I actually see the film, but IMHO this has the potential to be superior to any of the previous films in the series. In any case, I haven't been looking forward to a new film this much since KOTCS back in '08. (A lot of my enthusiasm for the film stems from my being such a fan of the franchise from way back).

Anyway, August 5th can't come soon enough....

Last edited: