Indiana Jones in New Haven - news, updates and everything else

Niteshade007

Those are great! You certainly got a lot of pictures. Even though there is so much in the shop windows, chances are none of it will be seen up close. Just goes to show how much goes into making a period piece actually look like the time period.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Mitchellhallock said:
the Football chase scene is out.
Possibly. Too bad, through it did sound a bit like Forrest Gump.
One change the Paramount decision-makers have made is that they will not use a Yale practice field in the scene. "Their creative team decided that they?re not going to use Derby Avenue for the chase scene," said West Haven Police Chief Ronald M. Quagliani.
Lamb said that part of the schedule will be filled with something new. "They?re creating a new scene, which hasn?t even been confirmed yet, so that?s going to go in there," she said.

Dr.Sartorius

New article from the New Haven Register:

Star Harrison Ford arrives for 'Indiana Jones' shoot
Michael Gannon, Register Staff
06/28/2007

NEW HAVEN — Indiana Jones rode into town Wednesday night as the filming for the fourth installment of the classic series gets under way in New Haven today.

Harrison Ford, who first played the swashbuckling archaeology professor 26 years ago in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," arrived Wednesday night, according to the production team. Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg is due to arrive today.

The Yale University campus will play a prominent role as fictional Marshall College circa 1957 in the yet to be named film.

"Maybe if my name had been different ..." said producer Frank Marshall, who along his wife, executive producer Kathleen Kennedy, met with the press Wednesday night with location manager Mike Fantasia.

Marshall said the decision to look at Yale was based on brief exterior scenes shot for "Raiders" at the University of the Pacific in California, a school often chosen for its resemblance to Ivy League schools.

Fantasia said Yale's classic architecture made it Spielberg's first choice for filming that will require 10 to 15 minutes of Ivy League-looking footage.

"Steven always said Yale is the most iconic-looking Ivy League college," Kennedy said. "It was his first choice."

Marshall and Fantasia said Connecticut's tax breaks for the film industry have been a definite incentive.

Marshall said an advance team has spent the last six or seven weeks dressing the more modern aspects of the neighborhood to look like 1957. He said the cast and crew had just arrived from extensive shooting in New Mexico.

"Then to Hawaii, and back to Los Angeles," he said.

Marshall estimates that they will have spent between $8 million and $9 million in the Greater New Haven economy before they are done.

"And that money gets recycled in the area," Fantasia said. "Some estimates say it gets passed around three or four times. Others say seven or eight."

Signs and street lights have been taken down. Countless windows have been dressed to fit the period, and vintage automobiles ("with the proper license plates," said Fantasia) had to be lined up.

There will be classroom shots, exterior shots and the prerequisite chase scene that includes the Old Campus, Phelps Gate and Yale's library.

"They have a lot of great old books that we didn't want to expose to fumes," Fantasia said. "I came up with the idea that we could build a tunnel to keep the fumes and the noise out of the building. The people from Yale and New Haven ... may look at us cockeyed and scratch their heads, but they've pretty much given us what we want."

The shooting schedule allows two days for rain, scenes Kennedy said will be the last to be shot if the weather holds.

Kennedy said the impetus for a fourth movie came in 2000 at the American Film Instutue tribute to Ford.

"We were all backstage, the entire family," she said. "Somebody said, ‘Wouldn't it be great to do this again?'"

And Marshall acknowledged that they were unsuccessful at coaxing Sean Connery, who played Ford's father, Dr. Henry Jones in the last movie, out of retirement.

And unlike the James Bond series, which has been handed off to a succession of five actors since Connery originated the role, they believe Indiana Jones will pass into cinema history once Ford decides to hang up the bullwhip and tattered fedora for good.

"We rode off into the sunset last time, and now we're back," Marshall said.

Kennedy concurred.

"I think Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones," she said.

So Indy is still teaching at Marshall College in 1957?

And Frank Marshall says they go on to Hawaii and then LA.....I hope they film in at least one country outside the US: Veracruz, Mexico will probably be it I guess.

I seriously hope they aren't just filming in these handful of locations all pretty much based around the US. That'd be really disappointing. Of more concern it has the scent of convenience and complacency which I'm worried about too (there's a great thread on this elsewhere).

MsIndy07

So Marshall College is fiction, is it the same school Indy was a techer at in the previous movies??

Also, in the previous films, did they shoot outside of the US alot?

Dr.Sartorius

According to Indy's biography he left Marshall College in 1937 for Barnett College in New York...Either he returns to teach at Marshall for some reason or he goes there to visit with someone.

Niteshade007

It's rather disappointing that they aren't filming outside the U.S. at all. I mean, it'd be nice to see real exotic locales, but I suppose that's Hollywood for you.

Dr.Sartorius

Niteshade007 said:
It's rather disappointing that they aren't filming outside the U.S. at all. I mean, it'd be nice to see real exotic locales, but I suppose that's Hollywood for you.

Who said they're not filming outside the US? Frank Marshall just said they're going to Hawaii and then LA next. They still might go on to Mexico or Morocco after that. Let's hope.

Niteshade007

True, but you would think that they would do all the studio work after filming on location, instead of location, location, studio, location. Unless that's the only way it works with the actor's schedules. I know that Blanchett has a lot coming up, and Shia certainly seems to be keeping busy these days. But you're right, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Avilos

I am not surprised that Yale is being used as a stand in for a fictional college. Fits with the other films.

I don't understand why they ever had Indy change from Marshall College to Barnett College in the first place. I don't remember are each actually named in dialog? Otherwise I assume they made the change because the exteriors would not match. But Colleges are very big with multiple buildings.

Dr.Sartorius

Harrison Ford Filming Details!

Indiana Jones Begins the Chase

by Melissa Bailey | June 28, 2007 2:26 PM

On their first day on the job filming a chase scene for Indiana Jones IV, these cars got weary zooming down College Street. Harrison Ford -- or rather, his stunt double -- didn't.

"That's not Harrison Ford!" came the disappointing revelation as the man on the motorcycle dismounted on College Street. Indy wasn't even driving the motorcycle -- he was sitting on the back. But the commotion still set the streets abuzz.

Thursday, the first day the film crew started shooting Indiana Jones IV on New Haven streets, moviemakers set up shop on two locations: Inside at Yale's William L. Harkness Hall (WLH), Harrison Ford filmed a classroom scene, out of sight of passersby. Outside on College Street, drivers of old-time cars enacted, and reenacted, a chase scene between Grove and Chapel Streets. (Click on the play arrow to watch).

Crew members guarding the perimeter detained pedestrians for 15-minute blocks of time as the old cars, from 1945 to 1955, motored down the street. Behind an old-time bus, riding on the back of a motorcycle behind a younger man in a leather jacket, was Indiana Jones.

The crew said they got there at 5 a.m. By 11 a.m., these old cars were worn out from all the action: The one on the left had to be jump-started by its driver. Those whose cars were chosen got to drive the cars in the scene. They also got to wear hot pink tape on their pants identifying them as "Driver driver driver."

Upstream from the action on Elm Street, Fannie Brooks (pictured) took a break from her job at Yale's Berkeley College. "I saw Harrison Ford this morning! He was getting out of an Escalade," she said. "He was walking with his pretty suit, and his smooth hair -- he looked sharp!"

(Ford was also spotted Wednesday night eating dinner at Barcelona, the hip new downtown tapas bar.)

How did Brooks like having all the Hollywood action on campus? "It's fun, but it's a pain in the butt trying to get to work," said Brooks. The scene -- set in 1957 -- did stir up good old memories, however. "The costumes are great, the skirts with all the flare. Those were the days of my era. I remember them well!"

As the cars repeatedly rushed down College Street, set dresser Steve Finkin stood by this cart, stacked with old-style road signs and camouflage netting. His job was to take the street and "turn it back 50 years," replacing streetlights, removing parking meters, changing signs (New Haven to Bedford, Yale University to Marshall College).

What's the netting for?

"You throw it over a car if you don't want it in the scene," he said, pointing to a modern SUV parked near the staging area. "Or if someone refuses to move, we throw it over them!"

As Finkin raved about his profession -- "it's the most fun job -- we're there at the beginning, and we're the last to leave" -- a call came over the radio fixed to his hip.

"Linkin' Stinkin!" said a voice.

"That's my nickname," said Finkin.

And poof-- he was whisked away on a John Deere four-wheeler before he got time to be photographed.

Filming continues until July 6.

eremcarsresting2.jpg

IMG_9034.JPG

Link

MsIndy07

SWEEEEEET!!! Car chase....Indy in a suit!!!!!................INDY IV IS ACTUALLY BEING MADE!!!!!!! I can't control my excitement!!!!

IS THAT HARRISON nextto the blue car?? Or his stunt double??