Mystery of the Injured Nazi?

Kooshmeister

I think I solved it. It's the Nazi sergeant from the Bantu Wind.

There seems to a deleted scene. Observe the following odd sequence of events:

We see Marion with the Nazi sergeant and another soldier holding her. The sergeant is on the right (her left), and she'd angrily warned him to keep his hands off her a moment ago ("Don't you touch me!").

image.jpg

After the cut to Dietrich, we cut back to Marion as she walks up to slap him. Suddenly, the sergeant is gone, and the other soldier is doubled over as if in pain.

image.jpg

Later, a guy who I think may be the same sergeant is roughly shoving Marion around in the Nazi base, head and arm injured.

image.jpg

Is it possible there's a deleted scene where she breaks free of her captors on the Bantu Wind so she can go smack Dietrich, and hurts the sergeant in the process?

Last edited:

Mickiana

Definitely looks like a deleted scene. I'd love to see it and see how Marion managed to rough up those soldiers.

Kooshmeister

Mind you, it's only a theory. I could be wrong and it's just bad editing, and there's an entirely different explanation for the hurt Nazi at the base.

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
After the cut to Dietrich, we cut back to Marion as she walks up to slap him. Suddenly, the sergeant is gone, and the other soldier is doubled over as if in pain.

image.jpg
The mystery of the injured soldier was also discussed sometime ago in this thread:

Marion's victim?

Yes, it's definitely the same sergeant. It's also the same guy who Marion tells, "Don't you touch me", as she's being taken from the cabin.

I was under the impression that Marion roughed him up while onboard the submarine but that screen grab, where he is missing from the shot, puts a new spin on things. It's entirely possible that this is the missing moment when he sustained his injuries. (You're right about the other guy looking like he's doubled over in pain.) Nice catch, Koosh!:hat:

Kooshmeister

Here's my hypothetical scenario, based on what I've observed:

They appear to have just stepped onto an upper part of the deck where Katanga and the Nazis are, likely up a short flight of steps. Marion sees Dietrich and he smiles smugly at her. She moves to hit him, but is roughly restrained by the two soldiers. She wrenches free and knocks the sergeant down the steps where he busts his head and injures his arm, then elbows the other guy in the stomach. Or, she elbows that guy first, then knocks the sergeant down the steps.

Oh, those wondering how I know he's a sarge, that's apparently actor John Rees, credited as "Sergeant." For years we've all assumed Rees played the sergeant, that is, the Tough Sergeant, but, as it turns out, the blonde sergeant in the truck chase is played by stuntman Sergio Mioni, whilst Rees plays the black-haired sergeant on the Bantu Wind.

IMDb credits Mioni as "Truck Driver" (which is technically true; he does drive the truck (y)) but a few Google serves for pics of Mr. Mioni confirm he is indeed the Tough Sergeant, while the Bantu Wind sergeant's profile matches up exactly with that of Mr. Rees (Movie Dude thinks his ear is wrong, but whatever). Thus is the mystery of the two sergeants solved :whip:

Rees' being credited and Mioni not, despite having such a tiny role, helps support my idea that there's some deleted material; i.e., Rees originally had a bigger role than just holding onto Marion.

Montana Smith

micsteam said:
Funny, I always thought it was the German mechanic that got hit with prop blades of the flying wing. :hat:

They went looking for enough of his head to bandage. :dead:

Kooshmeister said:
Here's my hypothetical scenario, based on what I've observed:

Some neat detective work here, Koosh.

micsteam

To be honest, I aways thought the mechanic got chopped up until recently, like the last 5-10 years (and now especially that we have Raiders on Blu Ray), I noticed that a large bandaged soldier is seen on the Uboat as Marion, Belloq, and Nazis are getting off the boat in the sub pen and from what I can tell or assume it's the mechanic. As mentioned here it's probably from a deleted scene as I can't connect where that soldier got hurt but it's obvious the camera wanted to recognize that character from a previous scene.

Kooshmeister

micsteam said:
To be honest, I aways thought the mechanic got chopped up

He did and this is the first time I've heard someone suggest otherwise.

micsteam said:
I noticed that a large bandaged soldier is seen on the Uboat as Marion, Belloq, and Nazis are getting off the boat in the sub pen and from what I can tell or assume it's the mechanic.

No. It's most likely the guy from the Bantu Wind, seen on the right in the first screenshot above. The build and facial features are all wrong for it to be the mechanic, nevermind that he's dead.

micsteam said:
As mentioned here it's probably from a deleted scene as I can't connect where that soldier got hurt but it's obvious the camera wanted to recognize that character from a previous scene.

The scene where he gets hurt most likely occurred in the cut from Dietrich to Marion where you can see the other soldier doubled over like Marion hit him in the gut:

Kooshmeister said:
We see Marion with the Nazi sergeant and another soldier holding her. The sergeant is on the right (her left), and she'd angrily warned him to keep his hands off her a moment ago ("Don't you touch me!").

image.jpg

image.jpg

My idea isn't conclusive, however there is evidence for it as presented above (more than your notion of it being the mechanic), and the sudden disappearance of the guy holding Marion's left arm suggests something got nixed, and the bandaged guy seen later resembles him anyway.

Sorry if I seem defensive over my own theory about the bandaged Nazi, but it's just you essentially seem to have ignored my visual evidence of a potential deleted scene and pulled your idea about the mechanic out of thin air.

Last edited: