Soundtracks?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
I went in today and hid a bunch of the redundant columns (which were just data extracted from the game's config file) - it should be easier to view now.
Looks much better now, Tash. Way easier to navigate. Thanks.(y)
InexorableTash said:
Unfortunately, I can't contribute an opinion here. The PSP has a completely different score which has been ripped, but I haven't seen rips of the Wii/PS2/DS versions - just the tracks released by Haab and Harman on their web sites.
As I mentioned a few pages back, what I've heard so far (from YouTube clips) is "Transylvania" stuff on "Bistro Guitar" from "Barcelona". Dying to know if there's anything else. (I'd buy the game but don't have any of the platforms to play it on.)

Did anyone else listen to the interview with Laird Malamed on the Indy Cast? He mentions that there was "about 30 mins." of music composed for each episode. He also talks about the music from "The Man Who Would Be King" in the "London" episode, just as we discussed!:) (Speaking of that, those 2 girls singing "Minstrel Boy" is so good that I felt compelled to leave a comment on their YouTube video. ALL the comments are full or praise...and they deserve it.)
indyartist said:
I just bought a used Volume 1 cd off Amazon. Look forward to it.
Very cool to know that you've bought one of the soundtracks without seeing the series itself. You may not like some of it but the "Verdun" tracks are very Indy-esque!

Stoo

HOLY GRAIL of Young Indy Music!

Holy smokes! I just learned of an extremely tantalizing bit of information...

Joel McNeely composed a NEW OPENING THEME for the 2nd season but Lucas decided to stick with the regular L.Rosenthal one!

michael

The music that starts at the 4:00 minute mark, which I believe is from the Masks of Evil episode, is that song on any of the volumes of the Young Indy soundtracks? I am just in love with this track right now! Is it out there in any sort of form? (This video was the best example I could find!)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRlaTLmyCL8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRlaTLmyCL8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

InexorableTash

That is indeed from the Masks of Evil score, by Curt Sobel. The tracks used are a mix of "Resurrected/Indy Fights Vlad" and "Off to Romania".

The score for that episode was never officially released as part of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles soundtrack series by Varase Sarabande. However, it was released by Curt Sobel on a personal promo CD and found its way onto a bootleg CD set along with an extended Last Crusade soundtrack. It is quite easy to find on the ol' internets, along with a cover by our dear friend Laserschwert portraying it as "Volume 5" and using the VHS cover art (from http://www.mikebutkus.net/)

fommes

Stoo said:

Joel McNeely composed a NEW OPENING THEME for the 2nd season but Lucas decided to stick with the regular L.Rosenthal one!

WOW! Where did you hear this?

metalinvader

Stoo said:

Oh wow! I wonder if a recording of this exist and if it was a little closer to 'Raiders March'.

Stoo

Inexorable Tash, fommes & metalinvader:

The info comes from Young Indy Assitant Sound Editor, Mr. Laird Malamed (via The Raven's own, Mr. Rocket Surgeon). It appears that Joel McNeely was not asked to write a new theme, he just came with one on his own behalf...and, no, Laird doesn't have a recording, unfortunately.:( The person to hit for this would be McNeely, himself.

It's the New Holy Grail...

InexorableTash

So...

I'd recommend one person reach out to McNeely, rather than having a horde of fanboys email him simultaneously. Personally, I nominate Stoo, as he has the most background knowledge. :)

The good news in this case is that the work was not commissioned, so it's possible he can share it with us without jumping through any hoops.

I'd keep the mail as straightforward as possible: introduction, up-front praise, background and request. Oh, then one more thing - "are you able to answer a handful of questions about your work on the series?"

Another approach might be to work with the IndyCast crew to garner an interview. It strikes me that they might already have attempted to initiate such contact, and would be able to gauge the chance of success.

InexorableTash

Hey Stoo -

Given your expertise in mashing up the covers (e.g. the Old Indy), do you think you could take a stab at creating a CD cover or two for our "Unreleased Tracks" collections? I'm thinking in the vein of the Vol 1 OST's cover - bold monochrome color overall, with the margins containing color cutouts, all given an "oil painting" filter.

I have to think about how I'd organize them onto a soundtrack - we have about 2 CD's worth, so we could either split it up (two covers) or just collect them all together. We have roughly 15 minutes each from Trenches (Somme/Germany 1916), Oganga (GEA/Congo), Hawkmen, Secret Service (mostly Austria), Daredevils, and Peacock's Eye.

Stoo

Tash,

Re: Letter to McNeely
According to LM, he *thinks* it was uncomissioned but is not sure. Before even attempting to ask McNeely about this, it would probably be better to communicate with LM, himself, to feel out the situation first. (He did supply his e-mail on the IndyCast for any questions/comments.)

Rocket Surgeon also sent me a tiny bit more info from LM about the track last week and I forgot to mention it. He said that it was not better nor worse than the orginal, just different. He edited it to the credits to show George but it didn't really work with the bird sound effects, which GL liked.

Re: Cover artwork
YES! I would love to do some. Great idea! 2 Volumes would be better, I think. (Down the road we could possibly get more for a Volume 3...) Would it be called "Unreleased Tracks", though, since they sort of aren't unreleased? That said, I can't think of a better title. Personally, my preference would be having the music chronologically so I'd put Trenches/Ogagna/Austria on 1 and the remainder on the the other with the miscellaneous tracks slotted into their appropriate places. (But that's just me.) Let me know when you decide on an order but it might be a little too earlier considering not all the tracks have been fully identified yet. For tracks that contain pieces from more than one epsiode, these should be split up, no?
fommes said:
Hmm, I don't seem to have 'Bgaudio' - is that part of a new pack of files?
Were you able to extract this or do you still need it? (I'm still missing RA_CAIROSTREETS_A_ACT). Received the mix of "Truck Flight - Biplane Escape" and it's brilliant! Sweet editing.:hat:

fommes

You're welcome, thanks for the compliment. I'll gladly do any mixing you want me to do - since you guys already did all the difficult work!

I don't have that bgaudio yet, no, where should I extract it? I don't have that Cairostreets file as OGG either, but I should have it on MP3. Is there actually unreleased music in it?

Stoo

You're right. Forget about RA_CAIROSTREETS_A_ACT because it's an edit of released stuff.:eek: Thanks anyway, Tash!;)

For your "Truck/Biplane Escape" mix, the only way to make it flow more consistently would be to dumb down the stereo parts but that would mean losing the good sound. I can still enjoy as it is (until something better comes along)!:D

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
YES! I would love to do some. Great idea! 2 Volumes would be better, I think. (Down the road we could possibly get more for a Volume 3...)

Fingers crossed for LEGO Indy 2! 10 days and counting...

Stoo said:
Would it be called "Unreleased Tracks", though, since they sort of aren't unreleased? That said, I can't think of a better title.

Well, we could call 'em "Vol 6" and "Vol 7" and so forth.

Stoo said:
Personally, my preference would be having the music chronologically so I'd put Trenches/Ogagna/Austria on 1 and the remainder on the the other with the miscellaneous tracks slotted into their appropriate places. (But that's just me.) Let me know when you decide on an order but it might be a little too earlier considering not all the tracks have been fully identified yet.

Wouldn't that be Trenches/Oganga/Hawkmen, then Austria/Russia/Barcelona/Praugue/Daredevils/Peacock? That's a pretty good breakup anyway, with the first one having strong military/adventure themes, the second being a wider mix.

FYI, here's how I have my "Unreleased Tracks" playlist organized in iTunes - basically, everything not on OST Vol1-4 or the Masks of Evil "Vol 5" that we've positively identified, listed as Track/Album:

Young Indiana Jones Fanfare / Mexico 1916
Out to See the Monuments (Egypt 1908) / My First Adventure
Attraction is a Law of Physics (Florence 1908) / The Perils of Cupid
Indian Rules (India 1910) / Journey of Radiance
DVD Credits (Journey of Radiance) / Journey of Radiance
Tolstoy Among the People (Travels with Father) / Travels with Father
Pancho Villa's Camp (Mexico 1916) / Mexico 1916
Book Fight / Lt. Moreau Takes Command (Somme 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Advance to the German Lines (Somme 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Flames of Horror (Somme 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Tunnel / Behind the German Lines (Somme 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Now's Our Chance (Germany 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Run! (Germany 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Painful Lessons (Germany 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Let's Bury Some Stiffs (Germany 1916) / The Trenches of Hell
Do Any of You Speak German? (Verdun 1916) / Demons of Deception
Return from the Mission (Verdun 1916) / Demons of Deception
A Stray Bullet (German East Africa 1916) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
It's Treason, Segeant! (German East Africa 1916) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
500 Miles Down River (German East Africa 1916) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Bee Sting / Dutch Boy (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Our Situation is Desperate (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Delirious Indy (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
My Name is Albert (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
The Chief's Son is Dying (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Waving Goodbye (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Ronstand's River Arrest (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (Congo 1917) / Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life
This Will Never Work (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Photographic Session (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Indy's First Dogfight (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Welcome to Germany (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Richthofen's Prisoners (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Truck Fight and Biplane Escape [Mixed] (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Truck Fight and Biplane Escape (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Truck Fight and Biplane Escape [Extended] (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Off to Paris (Garryowen) (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Dogfight with the Red Baron (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Out of Danger (Ravenelle 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Arrival in Hanover (Ahlhorn 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Serving Schnapps / The Camera (Ahlhorn 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Note in Pocket (Ahlhorn 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Ran Into Some Trouble (Ahlhorn 1917) / Attack of the Hawkmen
Get One Thing Straight (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Arriving at the Swiss/Austrian Border (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Sixtus' Papers (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Mistaken for Someone Else (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Wrong Compartment (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Friends of Frederic (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Mr. Max (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
To the Dungeon (Austria 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
The Bridges of Saint Petersburg (Russia 1917) / Adventures in the Secret Service
Bistro Guitar (Barcelona 1917) / Espionage Escapades
The Contessa (Alternate) (Barcelona 1917) / Espionage Escapades
A Train to Catch (Prague 1917) / Espionage Escapades
The Amazing Flight of the Filing Cabinet (Prague 1917) / Espionage Escapades
Assault on Gaza / Daredevils of the Desert
Deception Chase / Daredevils of the Desert
Talking with Ned and More / Daredevils of the Desert
Gaza or Beersheba? / Daredevils of the Desert
Desert Brigands / Daredevils of the Desert
A Trader in Fine Goods / Daredevils of the Desert
Bit of a Gallop / First One Over the Trench Wins / Daredevils of the Desert
Re-Wiring the Wells / Final Showdown / Daredevils of the Desert
DVD Credits (Tales of Innocence) / Tales of Innocence
The Letter (Extended) / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Stories Concerning Antiquities / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Goodbye For Now / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Finding the Treasure (Part 1) / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Finding the Treasure (Part 2) / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Our Diamond is Getting Away / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Faraway / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
It Stops Here / Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
The Future is Here / The Winds of Change
DVD Credits (Mystery of the Blues) / Mystery of the Blues
Chariot Race / The Hollywood Follies
Broadway To Hollywood / The Hollywood Follies
Indy, Let's Go! / The Hollywood Follies

* I have the "movie" name as the album, generally.
* I've also plunked the version of the fanfare from the Spring Break credits as the first track, much like OST Vol 1-2
* I have the DVD credits in there even when not identified in the episode itself, but not the Broadcast credits (just haven't done that yet).

Stoo said:
For tracks that contain pieces from more than one epsiode, these should be split up, no?

As you can see from the above, I've generally split the tracks up with fades. Thus far I've left Daredevils alone, since we don't have the episode timings and despite the redundancy they sound pretty good as-is.

Re: the covers - Indy running across the top of the train at the end of Austria would make a perfect bottom edge to one of the CD collages.

Junior Jones

InexorableTash said:
FYI, here's how I have my "Unreleased Tracks" playlist organized in iTunes...

Good Grief! I knew I was missing a few tracks, but I didn't realize there were this many!

Are most of these extracted from LEGO Indiana Jones? I've followed the conversation here and checked out the Google Spreadsheet, but I'm not very tech-savvy so I haven't tried to join in. (Besides that, I've only got the PS2 version. Is it even possible to extract audio files from that?)

If any of these "Unreleased Tracks" are not from LEGO Indy, where are they from? And how can I obtain a copy for myself?

Phil

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Well, we could call 'em "Vol 6" and "Vol 7" and so forth.

Wouldn't that be Trenches/Oganga/Hawkmen, then Austria/Russia/Barcelona/Praugue/Daredevils/Peacock? That's a pretty good breakup anyway, with the first one having strong military/adventure themes, the second being a wider mix.
Yes, absolutely. That is a much better division and I'm all for it. As for naming them Volumes 6 and 7, that is a perfect solution.;)
InexorableTash said:
FYI, here's how I have my "Unreleased Tracks" playlist organized in iTunes - basically, everything not on OST Vol1-4 or the Masks of Evil "Vol 5" that we've positively identified, listed as Track/Album:
WOW! Holy Moses, that is a heck of a lot of tracks and I thank you for organizing it all. Good stuff, Tash!(y)
InexorableTash said:
* I've also plunked the version of the fanfare from the Spring Break credits as the first track, much like OST Vol 1-2
* I have the DVD credits in there even when not identified in the episode itself, but not the Broadcast credits (just haven't done that yet).
I like the fact that you put the fanfare at the beginning of your "setlist". The inclusion of all the credit tracks is going to make it even longer!:eek:
InexorableTash said:
As you can see from the above, I've generally split the tracks up with fades. Thus far I've left Daredevils alone, since we don't have the episode timings and despite the redundancy they sound pretty good as-is.
We don't have the episode timings?
InexorableTash said:
Re: the covers - Indy running across the top of the train at the end of Austria would make a perfect bottom edge to one of the CD collages.
Nice. We're on the same "track"!;)
Junior Jones said:
Good Grief! I knew I was missing a few tracks, but I didn't realize there were this many!

Are most of these extracted from LEGO Indiana Jones? I've followed the conversation here and checked out the Google Spreadsheet, but I'm not very tech-savvy so I haven't tried to join in. (Besides that, I've only got the PS2 version. Is it even possible to extract audio files from that?)

If any of these "Unreleased Tracks" are not from LEGO Indy, where are they from? And how can I obtain a copy for myself?
Tash has provided instructions/guides to obtaining them in this thread (& on the spreadsheet) but if you're unable, then by hook or by crook, they'll be provided to you, Junior.;)

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
WOW! Holy Moses, that is a heck of a lot of tracks

Yeah, it was a bit of a shock to see it like that for me as well. It puts the list of remaining tracks to ID in perspective. (Although they may be trickier than the rest!)

Stoo said:
We don't have the episode timings?

You've identified the Daredevils scenes - they were the first from LEGO Star Wars that you positively ID'd - but we don't have the actual DVD time indexes recorded as we do for the other tracks.

Stoo said:
Tash has provided instructions/guides to obtaining them in this thread (& on the spreadsheet) but if you're unable, then by hook or by crook, they'll be provided to you, Junior.;)

I have a Google Doc which outlines the sources for all of these tracks and how to extract them. It references other sources (including Google spreadsheets and this thread) in some cases, but the goal is to evolve that into the canonical reference.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AStXfrT-eTV8ZHRwOWQ3cl8waGd2bXZjaGQ&hl=en

Feedback is appreciated! As are offers to help...

Junior Jones

Stoo said:

Okay, I have the OST's and I've already aquired the promotional releases. I've extracted what I can from the DVD's (though I had problems with a few files). It looks like most of what I'm missing is from LEGO Indy. Since I only have the PS2 version of that, any help would be appreciated. You guys rock! (y)

InexorableTash

Looks like someone has been working in parallel to our efforts, albeit not as far along:

http://totallyradicalsoundtrax.blogspot.com/2009/09/young-indiana-jones-chronicles-1992.html

The writer took Rosenthal's promo tracks, Sobel promo tracks, the Mexico 1916 segment, an audio rip from Scandal and put together his own Vol 5 (with covert art!). Nothing we haven't run across (I think I mentioned possible Scandal rips before...) but it's nice to know we're not alone.

I commented and invited the author over this way...