Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

DocWhiskey

Figure looks very good. But something about that head sculpt and fedora looks a bit off. I'm not a huge complainer, but Hot Toys charges 200+ for figures, so I'd like it to look as good as possible. I hope we get articulated chest hair! ;)

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
Figure looks very good. But something about that head sculpt and fedora looks a bit off. I'm not a huge complainer, but Hot Toys charges 200+ for figures, so I'd like it to look as good as possible.

There have been suggestions he may even top $250 due to Lucasfilm licensing, so this one really needs to be spot on when it goes into production.

DocWhiskey said:
I hope we get articulated chest hair! ;)

Maybe on the TOD version? Living tissue over a durable endoskeleton. It'll come with a mini razor to keep Indy looking his best at all times!

Johnny Utah

I was the one that asked him about it. LFL charge a lot for this licence, so it will have to be damn near perfect for a purchase. It's close, but I hope they are taking all feedback into consideration and redoing it all, especially the head.

Montana Smith

Johnny Utah said:
I was the one that asked him about it. LFL charge a lot for this licence, so it will have to be damn near perfect for a purchase. It's close, but I hope they are taking all feedback into consideration and redoing it all, especially the head.

I thought I recognized the name. :hat:

The discussion and condemnation has been pretty heated, so it would be hard to imagine that Hot Toys would let this one slip through without an overhaul.

The head is the main issue - it's a good sculpt, but not a particularly good sculpt of Harrison.

The jacket should use thinner material (I have an old Dragon figure of Erich Hartmann with a leather jacket whose material is darn near perfect, so that shouldn't be a problem for HT to solve).

Then the Aldens need to be weathered, rather than looking like they just came out of the shoe shop. While that's something than can be easily done after sale, I'd rather that Indy was about as right as possible to start with, as I wouldn't want to customize something that expensive. I prefer to keep these figures as they were intended.

Last edited:

Redinight421

I saw it was up for pre-order today... I'll pull the trigger. Montana...I agree with waiting to see in hand. I think most of the time the likeness is better in hand. This one is so close that maybe it will be 95% goodness as is when we open it, and, with them futzing around with it now maybe it will be stunning. I agree with the Jacket, but i got to say it has a lot better grain to it, and it's lined, can't remember if SS was.

I don't know if any of you have an obsession with the Raiders gear but, what do you think the bag strap color should be? I like how the've gone here, similar to Wade Egan's colour. However, watching the movie I swear there are multiple bag straps or the color is severely changed do to the lighting. It's the only piece of gear that I have can't nail down the color. One minute I like it darker like the hat and the next more orangey like it's represented here.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
It's up now but $250! And the non refundable $25 fee if you change your mind. Ouch.

I'll see if I can get it at cost like I do the other sideshow offerings. To be honest. I like the 12 sideshow. I have the real heroes indy and didn't think it was that great.

This one has great accessories but I think the head sculpt is off

Billy Ray

I preordered him through Sideshow. I had some Sideshow Rewards points saved up to apply to just such a big ticket item. I know some folks aren't too keen on this figure, but I think it looks amazing so far...it's going to be a long, long wait though :(

Also, according to a post on the SS Freaks, Arnie Kim is reworking the sculpt. He confirmed via his Facebook page (screen shot is posted on SS Freaks).

Montana Smith

throwmetheidol said:
Ordered --- as if there was any doubt! ;)

I think it looks cool -- and I love the dioramas and the extra outfit -- nice touches!

les

For me the dioramas and the extra outfit are just compounding the price issue. $250 won't likely translate into a straight currency conversion into £ (which today would be £156). There's normally a big mark-up here over the dollar price. For example Play.com are currently offering the Terminator T-800 for £229.99!

Then there's all the other issues with the figure. If enough people pre-order Hot Toys may not even feel obliged to alter it much, as they'll know it has a market whatever.

Based on the look of the current Indy prototype, I'm much more looking forward to the arrival of Milla Jovovich as Alice, who already looks perfect.

And as others have said, waiting for an MMS TOD Indy may be a better option (maybe he'll have a Trevor Grove sculpt!)

Montana Smith

Redinight421 said:
Montana...I agree with waiting to see in hand. I think most of the time the likeness is better in hand. This one is so close that maybe it will be 95% goodness as is when we open it, and, with them futzing around with it now maybe it will be stunning. I agree with the Jacket, but i got to say it has a lot better grain to it, and it's lined, can't remember if SS was.

The jacket is certainly going in the right direction, compared to the SS, which although lined, was still very thin, yet stiff, making it stick out rather than hang naturally.

Billy Ray

Personally, I am quite happy with him just as he is in these pics. If they do tweak him, for the better, that's just gravy. Don't get me wrong though, there are a few things that I hope they fix like the color of the belts and maybe tone down the shoes a bit , but those aren't show stoppers for me.

Montana Smith

Some figures beg to be bought, and I can't help but buy them whatever.

Some figures ask me to justify buying them.

At the moment this prototype is asking for justification. I see a figure of somebody impersonating Indy. It doesn't sell itself as an iconic representation of Harrison's Indiana Jones. While the Sideshow doesn't have the same lifelike texture, for the money it's a closer representation.

Arnie Kim on his Facebook page answers the question, "Are you redoing the sculpt Arnie?" with the response, "yes."

But he seemed to be a bit hazier with this one:

"I just wanted know if the hat can come down more, as I would like to see less of a gap between the ear and the brim of the hat."

Arnie: "I think so"

As the sculptor he should know the limits and tolerances of the hat fitting to the head. It makes me wonder how much they're really intending to work on it. Hence I'd rather wait and see before committing.

Montana Smith

TheLostCrusader said:
Maybe Arnie doesn't know because he isn't the one doing the rework on the head sculpt? Could be that Hot Toys has someone else doing it.

That would be a kick in the teeth, but it would be great if whoever gets the job has a real feel for the character. At present, as life-like and skilled as the sculpting is, it doesn't sell the image of Harry's Indy.

Montana Smith

The jacket looks bad here, but there's a close-up of Indy's other hairstyle.

kkut6tku.jpg